Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   More important: Standalone App or Pro Tools window? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=331437)

TheChimp 11-29-2012 01:03 PM

More important: Standalone App or Pro Tools window?

Hey all.

I just wanted to get some general opinions on this question:

If you could only have one of the two options below, which would it be?

1. The current Pro Tools Eleven Rack Window

OR...

2. Remove the Guitar Window from Pro Tools and make a standalone Eleven Rack Editor Application (Mac, PC) which does everything the current Guitar Window does, but does not require Pro Tools to be launched. It would be able to run alongside Pro Tools, of course.

Thanks,

Chimp

nst7 11-29-2012 01:19 PM

Re: More important: Standalone App or Pro Tools window?

Uh, is this a trick question? Are you teasing us?

nst7 11-29-2012 01:20 PM

By the way, I see you have more descriptions of what your job title is, next to your name. I hope this is a promotion and you're getting paid more.

TheChimp 11-29-2012 01:21 PM

The titles keep coming...

No, not a trick question...just trying to make some decisions here and would love to get some input.

nst7 11-29-2012 01:26 PM

Sorry, the way the question is worded, I thought it was humorous because it sounds like a no-brainer. Maybe there's something I'm missing.

Are you saying that with this choice, if a standalone app is available, that there won't be a GUI window in Protools, that everything must be done through the standalone app?

TheChimp 11-29-2012 01:36 PM

Yeah, that's the question. Pick one. :-)

Karl Houseknecht 11-29-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheChimp (Post 1985016)
2. A standalone Eleven Rack Editor Application (Mac, PC) which does everything the current Guitar Window does, but does not require Pro Tools to be launched

This.

AvidEditor 11-29-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheChimp (Post 1985031)
Yeah, that's the question. Pick one. :-)

Until you added the smiley face it was like, "Pick one dammit!" :-)

I've never edited with Pro Tools. Would #1 remove workflow functionality in Pro Tools? If features in PT weren't lost I'd pick #2.

TheChimp 11-29-2012 02:48 PM

We would make sure that all of the features currently available in the Guitar Window which relate directly to Pro Tools (like the 'Embed Settings From...' feature) would continue to live somewhere in Pro Tools so that you can still do re-amping and all of that. So no feature loss here, just a different way of working.

filosofem 11-29-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheChimp (Post 1985016)
2. A standalone Eleven Rack Editor Application (Mac, PC) which does everything the current Guitar Window does, but does not require Pro Tools to be launched

Option 2 and is iOS included?