Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Third Party Interfaces (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Any way to prevent Avid HD I/O default to 192kHz (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=411696)

Redbeard 08-31-2020 11:28 AM

Any way to prevent Avid HD I/O default to 192kHz

I've got the HD I/O, loop sync master, feeding a Focusrite 16Line and a Focusrite HD32R.

When protools is quit, the HD I/O defaults to 192kHz, which throws the Focusrite HD32R into 'expansion' mode, so when I restart ProTools, it sees a different number of audio interfaces and makes me quit and restart until I can get it started in 48kHz.

Any way to prevent?

Top Jimmy 08-31-2020 01:33 PM

Re: Any way to prevent Avid HD I/O default to 192kHz

Are you on Mac or Windows? If Mac, can you change the sample rate in audio midi setup? If Windows, can you change the sample rate in the Windows audio device settings or via the ASIO driver in a third party audio app?

Redbeard 09-02-2020 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy (Post 2576432)
Are you on Mac or Windows? If Mac, can you change the sample rate in audio midi setup? If Windows, can you change the sample rate in the Windows audio device settings or via the ASIO driver in a third party audio app?

On a Mac. Audio Midi setup doesn't seem to have any settings that would relate.

Top Jimmy 09-12-2020 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redbeard (Post 2576602)

Can you access the hardware settings via another audio app using coreaudio?

BScout 09-13-2020 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redbeard (Post 2576602)

It is AudioMidi Setup that needs to be changed.
Close Pro Tools
Open AudioMIDI Setup
Go to the "Avid HDX" audio device
At the top in the right column, set your clock source (if using an external word clock otherwise internal). And then in Format, set it to what you want it to default to. (I set mine to 48k)

ZEUSS 09-20-2020 07:09 PM

Awesome! Great info! Been dealing with this issue myself. It always defaults to 192.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uptheoctave 09-21-2020 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEUSS (Post 2578327)
Awesome! Great info! Been dealing with this issue myself. It always defaults to 192.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same thing happens with the MTRX- it is Avid's Core Audio HDX driver, which I am not a fan of anyway.

ZEUSS 09-21-2020 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BScout (Post 2577778)
It is AudioMidi Setup that needs to be changed.
Close Pro Tools
Open AudioMIDI Setup
Go to the "Avid HDX" audio device
At the top in the right column, set your clock source (if using an external word clock otherwise internal). And then in Format, set it to what you want it to default to. (I set mine to 48k)

So I realized I am using the native thunderbolt and not HDX after I read this again. I change the default sample rate and interface but as soon as the interfaces are turned off and I come back to it, It still defaults to 192. My main issue is I have an apogee DA16X as my second interface after my Red Line 16 and thats what seems to get more confused and "Stuck" especially after changing sample rates... I guess its just something the core audio won't remember in the setup?

martthie_08 11-15-2022 01:57 AM

every couple weeks I have the "stuck at 192" issue with one of my HD I/O interfaces freaking out, all metering led's fully lit.. it is a major pain and involves multiple reboots / turning interfaces on and off until everything is smooth again.

It would be super helpful to create a startup script for MacOS to change Audio Midi Setup defaults to 44.1 or 48 KHz to prevent the interfaces going to 192 KHz in the first place.

I never go above 96 KHz, which is also a limitation of the 100ft DigiLink cables in the studio.

BScout 11-15-2022 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martthie_08 (Post 2653308)
every couple weeks I have the "stuck at 192" issue with one of my HD I/O interfaces freaking out, all metering led's fully lit.. it is a major pain and involves multiple reboots / turning interfaces on and off until everything is smooth again.

It would be super helpful to create a startup script for MacOS to change Audio Midi Setup defaults to 44.1 or 48 KHz to prevent the interfaces going to 192 KHz in the first place.

I never go above 96 KHz, which is also a limitation of the 100ft DigiLink cables in the studio.

You don't need a startup script. Setting the clock once in Audio MIDI Setup makes it stick. (only unless you update/change the driver could it change because then it sees it as a new device)
If it doesn't stick, you have a corrupt system file (best to delete the plist file for AMS and let it rebuild)