Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Weird annoying editing in Pro Tools since windows 10 upgrade (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406455)

melloj 09-25-2019 08:01 AM

Weird annoying editing in Pro Tools since windows 10 upgrade

I'm running Pro Tools Ultimate 2018.4. With the end of Windows 7 looming I decided to (once again) upgrade to windows 10. I've used this version of PT for around two years on windows 7 without issue. Therefore I know its an OS issue. But basically when I click on a clip it highlights the whole clip and in empty space will highlight a region from clip boundaries, despite the cursor being in smart mode meaning that I can make rapid edit points, also when I click to select with the grabber tool it auto generates the rename clip dialogue box. It never did this in Windows 7. It feels like PT has turned into Logic. Its reduced my work speed to a crawl. I've included a link to a video. Thanks.

https://youtu.be/v-7HqongXvM

BScout 09-25-2019 09:31 AM

Re: Weird annoying editing in Pro Tools since windows 10 upgrade

Try uninstalling and reinstalling Pro Tools (I'm guessing you did an in-place Win7 to Win10 upgrade and not a fresh install.)
Clear/trash all preferences for Pro Tools after uninstalling and before doing the reinstall. Should only take a few minutes if you have the installer already downloaded.

melloj 09-25-2019 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BScout (Post 2539171)
Try uninstalling and reinstalling Pro Tools (I'm guessing you did an in-place Win7 to Win10 upgrade and not a fresh install.)
Clear/trash all preferences for Pro Tools after uninstalling and before doing the reinstall. Should only take a few minutes if you have the installer already downloaded.

Actually no, its a fresh install of Windows 10. I suppose I could do a reinstall, but its all fresh installs. Thanks.

...well that didn't work. Is there anything in Windows 10 that could be causing this?

albee1952 09-27-2019 04:50 PM

Hmmmm, I've been on Windows 10 for over a year and never seen anything like that. At one point, it looked(to me) like you set scrolling options to "center playhead",which would explain the open grey on the left half of the EDIT window, but I'm unclear on exactly what is going on(maybe some comments during the video could clear that up, or maybe I need a drink:p)

melloj 09-29-2019 02:26 AM

Its definitley not a Pro Tools thing. I've noticed similar editing anomalies in Izotope RX too. It seems that Windows is in some sort of "rename" frenzy mode. When I click on any file it wants to rename it. It does it in Pro Tools, RX and windows itself. I've messed about with mouse settings but as I understand it there is no settings for renaming. I've tried a different mouse too. I've tried resetting default programs which can interfere. Eg changing default player from windows player to quicktime etc. The glitch where when trying to select a break point with cursor only to highlight the whole clip or regions between edit bounderies seems to have gone away or improved. But I'm still left with the rename dialogue box appearing everytime I click with the grabber tool.

What's surprising is I can't find anyone else with the same problem and I'm not enough of a Windows expert to work it out myself, so for now I'm stuck with a handicapped system.

The Weed 09-29-2019 05:02 AM

Just a reach here...Try this: In Preferences>Editing and make sure "Auto-name separated clips" is checked.

Also, have you closed Pro Tools, trashed Preferences, emptied the Recycle Bin and rebooted yet?