Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Licensing & Accounts (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   ProTools price adjustments from July 1st. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405261)

nigelpry 06-18-2019 06:13 AM

Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2529740)
Nigel,

I'm 99% sure Avid means if you renew your support plan this month you will get your new support coverage with old price

JFreak, so yes, it’s true, I can choose to renew my support plan early, and beat the price increase, as it only comes into effect on July 1st.

In fact that section of the Q&A, at the end of Avid’s announcement, is the only clue to the fact that the cost of the support plan is going up for Pro Tools (standard) perpetual licenses.

Avid clearly did not have the nuts to directly include the fact of the 50% hike in support plan renewals for Pro Tools (standard) perpetual licenses in the announcement itself.

As always with Avid, you have to focus on what they don’t say, as much as what they do say.

And as for Teej, asking about reinstatement costs, well the announcement Q&A says ...

Q) Will avid still support Perpetual re-instatement programs?
We are currently evaluating these programs.

In other words ... Avid hasn’t decided, or has decided NOT to still support reinstatement programs, but doesn’t want to announce it yet .... because if Avid had definitely decided to carry on supporting reinstatement programs it would simply have said so!

And that may affect anyone, Ultimate or Standard perpetual license owner, who decided not to pay the annual fee, figuring they could wait several years with a version they can live with, and then reinstate to get current again only when stability improvements and new features provide enough incentive.

I think you will need to reinstate sooner rather than later, or you may well find the rug pulled out from under your feet!!

Teej 06-18-2019 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nigelpry (Post 2529750)
And as for Teej, asking about reinstatement costs, well the announcement Q&A says ...

Q) Will avid still support Perpetual re-instatement programs?
We are currently evaluating these programs.

In other words ... Avid hasn’t decided, or has decided NOT to still support reinstatement programs, but doesn’t want to announce it yet .... because if Avid had definitely decided to carry on supporting reinstatement programs it would simply have said so.

Whoa whoa wait a second. On Facebook it still says

"3. Will avid still support Perpetual re-instatement programs?
Avid will continue to offer re-instatements"

This is as reported on pro-tools-expert as well.

Where did you get your quote??

Akiz 06-18-2019 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightWing (Post 2529748)
I believe you are incorrect. If you let your subscription expire Pro Tools CONTINUES to work at the release level you have at that time.

Please read again, i don't think you got it, dear co-poster!

Jfreak said that Avid wants to convert perpetual licenses to subscriptions.
To move from perpetual license to subscription license you will surrender the perpetual license to acquire the subscription one which is a rental option, meaning it works as long as you continue to pay. If you want to stop paying the sub, ProTools will stop working too, because it is not PERPETUAL any more!
Hope it is clear by now!

Cheers!

nigelpry 06-18-2019 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightWing (Post 2529748)
I believe you are incorrect. If you let your subscription expire Pro Tools CONTINUES to work at the release level you have at that time.

Remember the word “subscription” has a specific meaning in Avid speak.

A subscription license is something you pay for monthly, or annually, but it IS NOT a permanent license. A subscription license stops working at all if you stop psying the subscription fee.

A permanent license is called a “perpetual” license in Avid speak. As well as buying a perpetual license, you have the option of paying an annual fee for a support plan to go with your perpetual license.

The support plan gives you access to updates to the software, as well as support. If you stop paying for the support plan, when it is due for renewal, then your perpetual license still works (that’s why it is called perpetual), but you only have access to Pro Tools software updates released up to the date that your support plan runs out.

It is the support plan renewal cost that is doubling for Pro Tools (standard) perpetual license holders.

LightWing 06-18-2019 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teej (Post 2529746)
They can do whatever they want to the rental price in the future.

That's true of ANY business isn't it?

LightWing 06-18-2019 06:26 AM

@nigelpry Thanks for clearing that up. I've been a "subscriber" since it first came out and I won't see an increase.

LightWing 06-18-2019 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akiz (Post 2529752)

To move from perpetual license to subscription license you will surrender the perpetual license to acquire the subscription one which is a rental option, meaning it works as long as you continue to pay. If you want to stop paying the sub, ProTools will stop working too, because it is not PERPETUAL any more!
Hope it is clear by now!
Cheers!

Yup! :)

nigelpry 06-18-2019 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akiz (Post 2529752)

Hope it is clear by now!

Cheers!

Avid’s announcement says that the whole technology industry is shifting to a new business model based on subscription, and tries to promote this as something positive for the end user.

But as you rightly say, if you convert your perpetual license for a subscription license as its attractive pricing, you are actually giving up your perpetual license, and are signing to carry on paying for as ling as you want to use the software.

This may or may not be attractive to some people, it certainly isn’t to me.

And, of course, once you’ve given up your perpetual license for the attractively priced subscription license, and given that you have no control over future subscription pricing, you are entering into a system that will be much more costly in the long term.

nigelpry 06-18-2019 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightWing (Post 2529755)
@nigelpry Thanks for clearing that up. I've been a "subscriber" since it first came out and I won't see an increase.

Ok, but your license WILL stop working anytime you don’t pay the subscription when it is due ...

... contrary to what your earlier post said about the license continuing to work at the release level it is at when you stop subscribing.

Akiz 06-18-2019 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nigelpry (Post 2529757)
Avid’s announcement says that the whole technology industry is shifting to a new business model based on subscription, and tries to promote this as something positive for the end user.

But as you rightly say, if you convert your perpetual license for a subscription license as its attractive pricing, you are actually giving up your perpetual license, and are signing to carry on paying for as ling as you want to use the software.

This may or may not be attractive to some people, it certainly isn’t to me.

And, of course, once you’ve given up your perpetual license for the attractively priced subscription license, and given that you have no control over future subscription pricing, you are entering into a system that will be much more costly in the long term.

Precisely! Well said!
To give away a perpetual license for a subscription one it is plain stupid thing to do....especially when we have to deal with a company like Avid...
They have a special way to shoot their own foot.... i have to give this on them!

p.s.
My new pet peeve is the claim: As many of you know, the entire technology industry is going through a major shift from perpetual licenses to a new business model focused on subscription.
Utter BS! Who writes that crap, i wonder???

Cheers!