Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   PT not behaving as expected when I launch and hold the 'n' key, to launch PB engine.. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=404767)

MixerGuy 05-16-2019 07:17 PM

PT not behaving as expected when I launch and hold the 'n' key, to launch PB engine..

Hi all

ProTools Ultimate, HDX-2, in a Mac cheese grater, with no interfaces connected at all, not behaving as expected when I launch ProTools and hold the 'n' key, to launch the playback engine.

The playback engine does not launch (as I want to select 'internal mac' as sound output).... instead I get an error message saying no interfaces detected.

PT 2019.5 in Sierra.

Frustrating as I want to run some basic tests and plugin installs tomorrow, and I dont currently have my Avid HD io interfaces here.

There must be a workaround. :confused:

some pref I could trash?

or a different key command?

thanks. :-)

Darryl Ramm 05-16-2019 07:39 PM

Re: PT not behaving as expected when I launch and hold the 'n' key, to launch PB engi

TDM systems not worky without interfacy... behaving as expected.

MixerGuy 05-16-2019 08:03 PM

Re: PT not behaving as expected when I launch and hold the 'n' key, to launch PB engi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2526099)
TDM systems not worky without interfacy... behaving as expected.

Isnt TDM, it is HDX ;) completely different software and hardware.

and it is my understanding that HDX can be run with Mac as OP for sound. with no interfaces connected.

Darryl Ramm 05-16-2019 08:13 PM

Actually it is still TDM, aka TDM2 bus architecture... aka DigiLink.

TDM has two meanings, but I meant to say DigiLink.

DigiLinky no interfacy, no worky. Not working as expected.

Happy now?

MixerGuy 05-16-2019 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2526104)
Actually it is still TDM, aka TDM2 bus architecture... aka DigiLink.

TDM has two meanings, but I meant to say DigiLink.

DigiLinky no interfacy, no worky. Not working as expected.

Happy now?

No. TDM has ONE meaning, in relation to AVID. Time Division Multiplexing.

Thanks for the help. :confused:

Darryl Ramm 05-16-2019 09:08 PM

You are also sure you can run HDX without an interface, how is that working for you?

Rich Breen 05-17-2019 09:13 AM

Pro Tools HDX rigs are perfectly capable of starting up without interfaces attached - when the 'n' key is held down at startup you will still get the playback engine dialog and you can choose a CoreAudio or built-in interface. Of course (as I'm sure the OP knows) you won't get to use the HDX cards, and your AAX DSP plugs won't show up, but the system will run perfectly fine as a native "ultimate" rig.

To the OP; are you sure there's not something going on with your keyboard/usb peripherals that's blocking the 'n' key functionality? It does behave as expected here with interfaces disconnected; 2018.12, HDX, Sierra.

best,
rich

MixerGuy 05-17-2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Breen (Post 2526182)
Pro Tools HDX rigs are perfectly capable of starting up without interfaces attached - when the 'n' key is held down at startup you will still get the playback engine dialog and you can choose a CoreAudio or built-in interface. Of course (as I'm sure the OP knows) you won't get to use the HDX cards, and your AAX DSP plugs won't show up, but the system will run perfectly fine as a native "ultimate" rig.

To the OP; are you sure there's not something going on with your keyboard/usb peripherals that's blocking the 'n' key functionality? It does behave as expected here with interfaces disconnected; 2018.12, HDX, Sierra.

best,
rich

Thank you Rich.... nice to hear from a professional and also polite person who actually understands the difference between TDM and HDX... ;)

Yeah at first I had a hub in the way, and then realized that sometimes USB active hubs can strip out key commands at weird times...

I did try a different (original apple) keyboard with no hub.... still no joy.

:(

I seem to recall that I can trash a pref that will 'confuse' the rig and then ask me at launch what PB engine to use....

perhaps I trash all prefs, and try that. Ran out of time yesterday.

As always, Rich you are a true professional. :-) and a nice guy.

MixerGuy

Darryl Ramm 05-17-2019 09:43 AM

Oh what an idiot am I. I did not read the first post correctly and thought the OP was trying to launch HDX without an interface.

Try holding down the down the N-key continuously. from launching until the playback engine diaolog (or error) appears. Try using an apple direct wired keyboard.

To confirm the N-key is working. Best way would be to have the keyboard viewer utility on the screen and see the key being pressed. (Set that up in Systems Preferences>Keyboard>Show Input menu in Menu Bar) and then open "Show Keyboard Viewer" under the keyboard icon now in the top Menu Bar.

More likely the key is working (or you'd have noticed it elsewhere). And something else is corrupted.

Does other audio, say from iTunes play though the Built-In Output?

Does Audio-MIDI Setup open correctly? Delete all aggregate IO devices.

Trash Pro Tools Prefs and restart (Use Peter Gates PT Prefs, try trash everything).

Create a new admin user and try opening Pro Tools from there.

Shutdown, pop out both HDX boards, try again -- be careful not to dammage the *TDM* flat interconnect cables between those HDX cards :-)

---

Rich Breen 05-17-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixerGuy (Post 2526186)
I seem to recall that I can trash a pref that will 'confuse' the rig and then ask me at launch what PB engine to use....

Honestly don't know *which* pref file it is, but I'd just use Pete Gates' utility to trash 'em all (there's not that many anymore) - they're in ~/library/preferences/Avid/Pro Tools. Still, it's very strange that the 'n' key isn't working... I'm slightly baffled, but Darryl's suggestion to use the keyboard viewer is a good one.

best,
rich