Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   "through Headphones" effect (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=404758)

JRReedVE 05-16-2019 10:32 AM

"through Headphones" effect

Hey, I have a guy in my scene wearing headphones. How do I get the diegetic radio audio to sound like it's coming through his headphones (bonus question, how do I get the sounds in the room to sound faint and muffled like it's squeezing around his headphones)?

I've looked on line and all i can find are tutorials on how to listen to my Pro Tools THROUGH my own headphones.

Thanks again

(I'm very very new)

AlexLakis 05-16-2019 12:57 PM

Re: "through Headphones" effect

Why don't you mic up the headphones? :-)

To answer your question, EQ.

JRReedVE 05-16-2019 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexLakis (Post 2526053)
Why don't you mic up the headphones? :-)

To answer your question, EQ.

I got
Channel Strip
EQ3 1 Band
EQ3 7 Band
Fabfilter Pro Q 3

Which one should I focus on?

Also, trying both foley effects and pro tools effect to be flexible depending on the situation.

Darryl Ramm 05-16-2019 01:30 PM

Start simple and just see. Think what qualitative adjustments you are trying to make. Start with simple plugins, ideally ones you have used, and see if you can do stuff, then just experiment.

---

What headphones? Open back? Closed? Cheap earbuds? Quality in-ear monitors?

As a headphone lover I'd hope they scene is using high-end headphones that show a very high sound quality, with (closed back or in-ear) significant attention or muffling (extreme roll of of high frequencies) of environment noise, maybe an increase in apparent stereo width. But that's it.

Cheap headphones, attenuate highs and lows, add some harmonic distortion.

Beats junk, roll up the bass... make it sound like crap. Hopefully that's the part in the film where the wearer is strangled with their headphone cord.

JRReedVE 05-16-2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2526060)
Start simple and just see. Think what qualitative adjustments you are trying to make. Start with simple plugins, ideally ones you have used, and see if you can do stuff, then just experiment.

---

What headphones? Open back? Closed? Cheap earbuds? Quality in-ear monitors?

As a headphone lover I'd hope they scene is using high-end headphones that show a very high sound quality, with (closed back or in-ear) significant attention or muffling (extreme roll of of high frequencies) of environment noise, maybe an increase in apparent stereo width. But that's it.

Cheap headphones, attenuate highs and lows, add some harmonic distortion.

Beats junk, roll up the bass... make it sound like crap. Hopefully that's the part in the film where the wearer is strangled with their headphone cord.

Silly me, noise cancelation headphones that fit over the ears. I totally should have added that information. they aren't beats, (thank god) and the person is listening to static while using a one way push to talk to send out morse code. I've done the different static hum for when the button is and isn't pushed as well as the click when its pushed down and pulled up. (I used a CB radio and experimented with going directly into my USBPre 2, as well as using microphone (with low pass) recording the sound coming out of a speaker.)

Darryl Ramm 05-16-2019 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRReedVE (Post 2526061)
Silly me, noise cancelation headphones that fit over the ears. I totally should have added that information. they aren't beats, (thank god) and the person is listening to static while using a one way push to talk to send out morse code. I've done the different static hum for when the button is and isn't pushed as well as the click when its pushed down and pulled up. (I used a CB radio and experimented with going directly into my USBPre 2, as well as using microphone (with low pass) recording the sound coming out of a speaker.)

Uh well that's different than everybody will assume. What radio are they listening to?... I'd guess you want to make the static mono. I hope they tried to film/record somebody who can really code.

JRReedVE 05-16-2019 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2526068)
Uh well that's different than everybody will assume. What radio are they listening to?... I'd guess you want to make the static mono. I hope they tried to film/record somebody who can really code.

The only thing I can tell you is that this is the push to talk microphone they are using, https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...RoCHJIQAvD_BwE

Outside of that, I don't know. The pain in the tushy toosh was foleying the button clicks as while he did know how to code, the rhythm is off by a bit on a cut. So THAT took a while lol. But it's all being funneled into his headphones. I've added various hums and static and self recorded dialogue for all the other speakers he's surrounded by, and It'd be cool to be able to have those muffled like they are outside the noise cancelation headphones (or headphones that fully cover the ears.

musicman691 05-17-2019 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2526068)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRReedVE (Post 2526071)
The only thing I can tell you is that this is the push to talk microphone they are using, https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...RoCHJIQAvD_BwE

Outside of that, I don't know. The pain in the tushy toosh was foleying the button clicks as while he did know how to code, the rhythm is off by a bit on a cut. So THAT took a while lol. But it's all being funneled into his headphones. I've added various hums and static and self recorded dialogue for all the other speakers he's surrounded by, and It'd be cool to be able to have those muffled like they are outside the noise cancelation headphones (or headphones that fully cover the ears.

Take it from a ham radio op - N2MPU - you do NOT use a PTT (push-to-talk) microphone button when sending Morse code. You use a code key as shown on this site: http://www.vibroplex.com/contents/en-us/d1.html

Bugs have a different sound than straight keys. With a bug you actually have two sets of contacts - one for dots and one for dashes. Each of those makes a slightly different sound. With a straight key you only have one set of contacts and you only get a 'click'. Depending on what the key is sitting on you'll get resonance from the table surface and some keys make more sound then others. I've got over two dozen keys (bugs/straight keys/Iambics) and each category has it's own sound and feel.

When you have a good set of 'phones you should only hear the dots and dashes being sent. Whether you also hear the ham on the other end depends on how the sending ham has their rig set. Full breakin versus semi-breakin will allow one to hear what the other op is sending between dots and dashes and that sensitivity is set by the sending op. I know it's a bit of ham-speak but it's the best way I can describe it.

Most ham radio voice audio is band-limited to between 300 and 3000 Hz. Morse code (CW) is limited to way less - often 500 Hz or less depending on how crowded the bands are in the op's preferences.

edit for additional:
Here's links to just two Morse Code conversations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvQ_UnePS7w
I love this one - notice how relaxed the op is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Ed0TSp0gs

Guitarist Joe Walsh is a ham also - call sign WB6ACU

Rhythm - not all ham ops send at a steady rhythm. Some have a bit of swing in their code timing like a drummer sometimes has. It's how in olden days you could tell one Morse operator from another whether he be a ham, railroader or ship board operator.

JRReedVE 05-17-2019 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2526152)
Take it from a ham radio op - N2MPU - you do NOT use a PTT (push-to-talk) microphone button when sending Morse code. You use a code key as shown on this site: http://www.vibroplex.com/contents/en-us/d1.html

Bugs have a different sound than straight keys. With a bug you actually have two sets of contacts - one for dots and one for dashes. Each of those makes a slightly different sound. With a straight key you only have one set of contacts and you only get a 'click'. Depending on what the key is sitting on you'll get resonance from the table surface and some keys make more sound then others. I've got over two dozen keys (bugs/straight keys/Iambics) and each category has it's own sound and feel.

When you have a good set of 'phones you should only hear the dots and dashes being sent. Whether you also hear the ham on the other end depends on how the sending ham has their rig set. Full breakin versus semi-breakin will allow one to hear what the other op is sending between dots and dashes and that sensitivity is set by the sending op. I know it's a bit of ham-speak but it's the best way I can describe it.

Most ham radio voice audio is band-limited to between 300 and 3000 Hz. Morse code (CW) is limited to way less - often 500 Hz or less depending on how crowded the bands are in the op's preferences.

edit for additional:
Here's links to just two Morse Code conversations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvQ_UnePS7w
I love this one - notice how relaxed the op is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Ed0TSp0gs

Guitarist Joe Walsh is a ham also - call sign WB6ACU

Rhythm - not all ham ops send at a steady rhythm. Some have a bit of swing in their code timing like a drummer sometimes has. It's how in olden days you could tell one Morse operator from another whether he be a ham, railroader or ship board operator.

oh I completely understand and agree. I'm just doing the audio. I had no hand nor control over props, shooting, etc. So that's the thingie that they use, that's what he does with the button. (i've used a cb radio do get the clicks) now i just gotta apply filters to make the audio sound like he's hearing it out of those ear covering headphones.

musicman691 05-17-2019 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRReedVE (Post 2526163)
oh I completely understand and agree. I'm just doing the audio. I had no hand nor control over props, shooting, etc. So that's the thingie that they use, that's what he does with the button. (i've used a cb radio do get the clicks) now i just gotta apply filters to make the audio sound like he's hearing it out of those ear covering headphones.

If your actor is using a mic PTT when he's sending code don't be surprised if you get a lot of negative feedback on that. That's NOT the way you send Morse code on a ham radio. And the sending op won't hear the key clicks in his headset.

Again watch the videos I linked to. Found them via Google.