Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Getting away from the computer while recording... (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=154906)

imagingvo 12-15-2005 11:02 AM

Getting away from the computer while recording...

How do you get away from the computer while recording?

It seems that any computer powerful enough to run ProTools LE with minimal latency must be a fairly robust computer, which means lots of component and processor heat, which means lots of cooling fans, which means lots of noise.

If using an 002 control surface, it is tethered to the computer via Firewire400, which has a maximum distance limitation of 4.5m or 14 feet... which seems barely enough to get out of the room. Adding firewire repeaters seems risky, since Avid/Digidesign appears to be so finicky as to what equipment is Digi-certified... ie, there is only ONE firewire card that is actually approved and certified for ProTools.

I've never self-recorded to a computer before. I imagine that I might need to monitor the digital/onscreen equivalent of VU meters while recording, so at least the control surface and the LCD screen must be with me in the isolation booth, right?

And if this is true, than the DVI interface (monitor) distance limitation is even shorter, at about 2 meters (6 feet).

So, I'm wondering how you get away from the computer while recording?

madcow 12-15-2005 11:33 AM

Re: Getting away from the computer while recording...

Get your levels and then take your wireless keyboard with you (in another room maybe) and hit record..

Jungleman 12-15-2005 11:48 AM

Re: Getting away from the computer while recording

I use this. Works great.

Craigo 12-15-2005 01:33 PM

The cheapest solution would be to build a small isolation box for your computer. I might try that one myself.

imagingvo 12-15-2005 02:51 PM

Jungleman... thanks, I'd have NEVER heard of that control were it not for you mentioning it.

And Craigo, I like your idea on building an isolation box for the cpu as well. The only problem I can foresee is sufficient ventilation! Baffling the air inlets and outlets seems like it would require a lot of space to design correctly in order to prevent the fans from burning out as they try to "suck" air through the more restrictive path that a baffled enclosure might impose.

albee1952 12-15-2005 04:21 PM

I record vocals with the PC tower 6 feet away and have no noise issues. The tower has low-noise fans and a Zalmann cpu cooler. I have the tower in a 3/4" oak-plywood box, lined with Auralex sheetblock and 2" foam on the sides. The front is open and the back is open but faces a corner and blows past a large gobo. The Tranzport looks to be a great tool. I use a VGA splitter which takes the video from the PC and allows it to go to 2 monitors. I use a 25' VGA cable to a second monitor at my keyboard/drum station and it works great(for under $40). BTW, a VGA "Y" cable sucks. There are also a few low-noise PC cases available. I saw on at CompUSA that had insulated panels all around for no resonance. A bit pricey at $169 but might be a problem solver for you.

j20056 12-17-2005 09:33 AM

Jungleman,

Does thew wireless transport work through a wall? I was thinking to setup my workstation in one room (control room if you wish), and the amps and mics in the adjacent room, which is acoustically treated. Would the wirelss unit work through a brick (or sheet rock) wall, and reach the workstation say 25 feet away?

Jungleman 12-17-2005 10:05 AM

j20056,

The Tranzport works through walls and 25 feet shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure it will work through a brick wall though.

Bastiaan 12-17-2005 11:29 AM

You could also setup the PC in a seperate room, and get some extension cables for the keyboard, mouse and monitor.