Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   MIDI (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Zones and triggering different midi channels (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=309945)

chrissyb 10-24-2011 04:25 AM

Zones and triggering different midi channels

Hi,

I'm trying to control the Trilian bass module with my Axiom Pro keyboard. What I'd like to do is set the keyboard up into zones an octave playing the regular samples, then another zones across playing various other articulations.

I can split the keyboard into zones, giving each a different midi channel, but can't get this to trigger the different articulations/sounds in multi mode in Trilian. They are all triggering the first midi channel 1, and therefore the same sound.

If people aren't familiar with Trilian, the problem is repeated with virtual synths like Expand.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Chris

filosofem 10-24-2011 07:50 PM

Re: Zones and triggering different midi channels

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrissyb (Post 1850720)
If people aren't familiar with Trilian, the problem is repeated with virtual synths like Expand.

Hi Chris, can you post Steps to Reproduce with Xpand!2 please?

chrissyb 10-25-2011 03:51 AM

Hi,

Let's say in xpand you insert a multitimbral instrument each using one of four midi channels. I want to control each sound in the multitimbral instrument in separate zones across the keyboard. So let's say the kit is in the first zone, bass in the second, etc.

I can set the zones, but pro tools is only responding to one midi channel. The whole key board just plays on midi channel 1 even though the keyboard is set otherwise...

I think a setting in PT is my problem...

Thanks...

filosofem 10-25-2011 07:16 PM

MIDI Input selector on each track assigned 1-4 respectively?

chrissyb 11-01-2011 12:06 PM

Sorry not to get back quicker...

I wasn't really implementing the midi correctly!

Let's say you have 4 midi tracks - In PT you use one instrument track 1 plug in and do as you explained select the corresponding virtual instrument track in the instrument channel.

When you edit them you can select all the tracks and edit them together, by clicking on them together.

I was thinking about it upside down. I still can't get the zones to work, but I'm not now sure if it would be beneficial to use it this way anyway.

I'm still figuring it out....Hope that makes sense...

Chris

filosofem 11-01-2011 05:48 PM

*Four Instrument Tracks with Xpand! on each track.
*MIDI Input selector assign MIDI Channel 1 through to 4 on each track (Record Arm).
*Axiom Pro Set Zones and Keyboard to a corresponding Xpand! MIDI Channel.
*You may have to transpose in Xpand! to achieve the correct range for each Zone.

johnnyxtheman 09-24-2013 08:33 AM

I see that this post is already a few years old . en see no solution.
I have the same problem, but a want to play lets say on the lower half the NEXUS plugin for chords or arp rhythm, and the upper with lets say gladiator plugin for leads.
normally in sonar I chose midi in 2 in for only upper and 3 for only upper, but in pro tools this is not possible.
I keep hearing sound on all 2 zones on all midi 1- 16

maybe is this not possible in pro tools ?
or maybe together whit MIDIOX or another midi program that can help split 1 midi keyboard to play live 2 virtual instruments on lower and upper ?

please somebody help me whit this . I am searching for this a couple of weeks now with no luck,,,,,:(

John_Toolbox 09-30-2013 02:25 PM

I think the easiest way to handle this would be to rewire plogue bidule into pro tools and host the instruments in plogue bidule. You can do all kinds of MIDI re-routing with the built in modules in bidule. Pretty sure they have a demo you can try to see if it will work for your needs.