Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   PT 2019 Same Ran out of CPU power (any buffer size) (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=404657)

kirkbross 05-12-2019 12:55 PM

PT 2019 Same Ran out of CPU power (any buffer size)

I have a new Mac Mini (Mojave) w/ 32 GB RAM and I have seen zero improvement in the "running out of CPU power" error issue.

In moderate sized sessions (with low or high sample buffers), it throws the error relatively frequently–usually when I'm tweaking a plug-in UI or when I scroll around the Edit window too fast.

I haven't even noticed any striking GUI improvements. I did notice that they (almost) solved the playback stutter when adding / removing plug-ins... the audio still drops out for a split second, but the time seems to keep. Frankly, I was so used to that it's way low on my PT fix wish list.

From where I sit, after three days of use, I give it a D. I don't need features I need bugs actually fixed.

Darryl Ramm 05-12-2019 01:04 PM

Re: PT 2019 Same Ran out of CPU power (any buffer size)

... which is a classic sign of a badly out of control plugin, or a corrupt session. Or maybe it is a nasty problem in Pro Tools 2019.5, nobody has a clue which...

You have to start by troubleshooting plugins, what troubleshooting have you done?

kirkbross 05-12-2019 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2525295)
... which is a classic sign of a badly out of control plugin, or a corrupt session. Or maybe it is a nasty problem in Pro Tools 2019.5, nobody has a clue which...

You have to start by troubleshooting plugins, what troubleshooting have you done?

Thing is, I had a better time with the exact same sessions in High Sierra on an older, weaker computer. Me thinks it's PT. Poor product management at AVID.

Darryl Ramm 05-12-2019 02:43 PM

No. As always, it's possible it's an interaction between a specific version of Pro Tools and a specific version of plugins. And you are also changing computers here, even if one may be faster on paper, you have to troubleshoot stuff when you have a problem. You don't know what it is until you do some testing. This stuff should be second nature to Pro Tools users, do some testing then you can have much better suspicion what it is.

"it does not work for me" or what you "think" is the problem does not help make progress. What you can *show* is the problem would make progress. All that will happen here is your comments will likely get ignored unless you do some basic troubleshooting.

If Pro Tools is breaking compatibility with a specific plugin, Avid and the plugin vendor need to know what that is and get to work on fixing the problem. If it can be shown it is not a third party plugin then thats great info.

Pro Tools is a wide open runtime framework that third party plugins connect into. Slight changes in code within a plugin or Pro Tools can affect compatibility. For real time performance reasons there is effectively little/no internal checking of what those plugins can do to potentially mess with anything. Avid tries, but there is no blanket compatibility testing guaranteed with arbitrary third party plugins before a Pro Tools release. Ultimately we the users do that compatibility testing.

kirkbross 05-12-2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2525327)
No. As always, it's possible it's an interaction between a specific version of Pro Tools and a specific version of plugins. And you are also changing computers here, even if one may be faster on paper, you have to troubleshoot stuff when you have a problem. You don't know what it is until you do some testing. This stuff should be second nature to Pro Tools users, do some testing then you can have much better suspicion what it is.

"it does not work for me" or what you "think" is the problem does not help make progress. What you can *show* is the problem would make progress. All that will happen here is your comments will likely get ignored unless you do some basic troubleshooting.

If Pro Tools is breaking compatibility with a specific plugin, Avid and the plugin vendor need to know what that is and get to work on fixing the problem. If it can be shown it is not a third party plugin then thats great info.

Pro Tools is a wide open runtime framework that third party plugins connect into. Slight changes in code within a plugin or Pro Tools can affect compatibility. For real time performance reasons there is effectively little/no internal checking of what those plugins can do to potentially mess with anything. Avid tries, but there is no blanket compatibility testing guaranteed with arbitrary third party plugins before a Pro Tools release. Ultimately we the users do that compatibility testing.

You're absolutely right. I'm aware that Pro Tools doesn't guarantee permanent compatibility with every version of every plugin ever made, and I'm sure it's a particular plugin or two that is causing CPU sadness.

That said, I'm a front end developer for a living and spend my my days debugging React apps and node module churn–I don't want to spend my music time in debug mode, though it seems necessary at this point.

Maybe if I used PT 2019.5 on a virgin OS with only stock AVID plugins it would be flawless. I just don't want to spend a day ferreting out the problem... I'd rather five minutes griping on the DUC while Pro Tools restarts, and wait for Native Instruments and the rest to get their ***** together with an update.

Darryl Ramm 05-12-2019 04:42 PM

Gotcha. I understand. It's amazing the C++ ball of string works at all at times. So far, and it's an early take, 2019.5 does seem like a big improvement for lots of users here. But then... I'm trying to see if I can reproduce an installer glitch I saw, mostly because I'm wondering what exactly I saw.

(unrelated to audio) some of the companies I work with work in React. Some impressive performance and management dashboards build in it. Impressive with what can be built in it fairly fast with a small team.