Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   iMac Pro and Pro Tools Users (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=395733)

Becharax 12-17-2017 02:07 AM

iMac Pro and Pro Tools Users

Hey Folks ...

Been Longtime there !! :)

I was wondering if any users in here have taken the dive and purchased the Imac Pro ??

Would love to hear some reviews with people using Pro Tools and iMac Pro

Last time I took the dive when the Mac Pro Trash can got released I went and bought it right away and still facing problems until today ..

So I was recommended to wait before buying a new machine from Apple

What about Overheating ? Noise ? Crashes ? Freezing ?? Performance (I doubt it will be lagging here ...)

Opinions would be much appreciated

Pedro perez 12-17-2017 09:25 AM

Re: iMac Pro and Pro Tools Users

I run a late 2015 iMac and Pro Tools is still laggish and Midi,well I no longer use it for that, I use Logic Pro X I doubt Pro Tools will be any better with iMac Pro. it's the software,not the machine. Happy Holidays:-)

K Roche 12-17-2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Bechara (Post 2464410)
Hey Folks ...

I was wondering if any users in here have taken the dive and purchased the Imac Pro ??

Last time I took the dive when the Mac Pro Trash can got released I went and bought it right away and still facing problems until today ..

What about Overheating ? Noise ? Crashes ? Freezing ?? Performance (I doubt it will be lagging here ...)

Being it just came out probably no one here , But I just stumbled on this video over on the PT expert blog

This is a video guy so no help with PT, per se. but some performance info

https://youtu.be/h-h5Mhlt6O0

wwerwath 12-18-2017 08:24 AM

Well, considering PT doesn't work with High Sierra yet, and these machines will undoubtedly ship with it we won't know for quite some time...

K Roche 12-18-2017 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwerwath (Post 2464593)
Well, considering PT doesn't work with High Sierra yet, and these machines will undoubtedly ship with it we won't know for quite some time...

Correction: HS is not yet qualified or supported by Avid . Not the same as not working . People are reporting it works fine.

bradch00 12-18-2017 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Bechara (Post 2464410)
Hey Folks ...

As I stated in another thread, concerns me that Apple has opted to remove the option to 'easily' upgrade RAM to third party (affordable) memory. I have been able to install Crucial RAM in 6 iMac machines since 2008. This marks the end of the road for iMacs in my studio.

uptheoctave 12-18-2017 11:02 AM

I can't make my 5k (non-pro) iMac use more than 50% of its processor no matter how many plugins, tracks or VI's I use.

I'm waiting for the new Mac Pro for buy next computer, but that is more to have a separate display to CPU.

john1192 12-18-2017 11:48 AM

yeah, it sounds like that nailed the thing shut - so no upgrades .. i am sure someone will tear one apart as i did read that the momory is not soldered in place .. so if you can crack the case open, you must be able to for repairs, then you could install more RAM

Darryl Ramm 12-18-2017 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octatonic (Post 2464636)
I can't make my 5k (non-pro) iMac use more than 50% of its processor no matter how many plugins, tracks or VI's I use.

I'm waiting for the new Mac Pro for buy next computer, but that is more to have a separate display to CPU.

And that would mostly be because you have hyperthreading and 50% of your CPU cores don’t really exist. Stop looking at silly CPU meters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darryl Ramm 12-18-2017 11:53 AM

iMac Pro and Pro Tools Users

Quote:

Originally Posted by john1192 (Post 2464648)
yeah, it sounds like that nailed the thing shut - so no upgrades .. i am sure someone will tear one apart as i did read that the momory is not soldered in place .. so if you can crack the case open, you must be able to for repairs, then you could install more RAM

i am not sure what you are taking about? The new iMac Pro..? that has never been “no upgrades”, Apple has been clear on that for a while.

The DRAM is upgradeable via Apple service partners, the CPU is almost certainly socketed, SSD who knows, what any of this really means will need to wait for a detailed tear-down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk