Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Back To Basics (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=396859)

GTBannah 01-31-2018 02:12 PM

Back To Basics

Hello!

Have a good laugh! :o

Now, when I drag files into an empty session and place them on a "New track" at "Song Start", PT asks me to point it to the "Audio files" folder, and I can see them there, safe and sound. When I opt to place the files in the "Clip list", PT doesn't ask. The files are there in the clip list, but when I look in the session folder, there is no Audio files folder, showing me where the files live.

Please explain what is happening there, as I don't want to mis-place the files.

Thank you! :o

john1192 01-31-2018 02:37 PM

Re: Back To Basics

Prefs / Processing / Import / Automatically Copy files on Import - Check This

when this is checked .. dropping in Track List, Clip List, Drag and Dropping Into Edit window, this will Copy files into your Aduio Files Folder !!!

GTBannah 01-31-2018 04:56 PM

Thanx, for the response!

This is the first time I've ever been to this particular page. "Automatically copy files ...." is checked. it seems to be working on some sessions and for on others.

I don't know what's happening. All the sessions have their files, and they are playing. :confused:

The files are all backed up, so I'll just continue working, and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanx, again! :-)

john1192 01-31-2018 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTBannah (Post 2472589)
Thanx, for the response!

This is the first time I've ever been to this particular page. "Automatically copy files ...." is checked. it seems to be working on some sessions and for on others.

I don't know what's happening. All the sessions have their files, and they are playing. :confused:

The files are all backed up, so I'll just continue working, and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanx, again! :-)

i would check your Clips Bin and select Show / Full Path - this will show you where all your Files reside !!!

GTBannah 01-31-2018 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john1192 (Post 2472591)
i would check your Clips Bin and select Show / Full Path - this will show you where all your Files reside !!!

There is a drop-down menu at the top right of the slip bin, bit i don't see that option there. is this an HD function?

When I right-click on the files themselves, there is the option to "Reveal in workspace", which shows me the folder from which I imported them.

Now, with "Automatically copy files ...." checked, the files should be placed in an "Audio files" folder, right?

john1192 02-01-2018 06:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTBannah (Post 2472618)
There is a drop-down menu at the top right of the slip bin, bit i don't see that option there. is this an HD function?

When I right-click on the files themselves, there is the option to "Reveal in workspace", which shows me the folder from which I imported them.

Now, with "Automatically copy files ...." checked, the files should be placed in an "Audio files" folder, right?

it is there .. see pic please ..

GTBannah 02-01-2018 07:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by john1192 (Post 2472693)
it is there .. see pic please ..

When I right-click on "Clips", at the top, I see the dialogue you showed me. When I right-click on the actual clips, I see the dialogue attached.

"Reveal in workspace" takes me to the folder that I dragged the clips from; and they's not in the audio folder for the session.

john1192 02-01-2018 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTBannah (Post 2472700)
When I right-click on "Clips", at the top, I see the dialogue you showed me. When I right-click on the actual clips, I see the dialogue attached.

"Reveal in workspace" takes me to the folder that I dragged the clips from; and they's not in the audio folder for the session.

you do not need to right click to the Show / Fullpath ..

right click here is on specific clips, yes reveal in workspace .. ok ..

so drag the clips into your audio files folder and then relink /point them to the correct folder .. and now you know for next time !!!

i either put them new files in my audiio files folder directly - then import from there - Adding instead of Copying because they are already there / or have that checjed in Prefs and don't worry about it ..

cheers john

GTBannah 02-01-2018 08:44 AM

So, what does, "Automatically copy files ...." do? :confused:

john1192 02-01-2018 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTBannah (Post 2472718)
So, what does, "Automatically copy files ...." do? :confused:

just what it says .. try it in a test session .. you can automatically copy and you can also convert on import .. two different prefs ..

best if you see it in action .. make sense ??