Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Windows Vista and Pro Tools 8 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=240096)

harlemrucker 02-24-2009 09:05 AM

Windows Vista and Pro Tools 8

I recently installed Pro Tools 8 and a mbox 2 to a laptop computer. I have been having all kinds of issues since the install. 20 to 30 hz hum, 9019 error code, buffer size error, plug in issues. I've browsed the Digi website, Ive requested Tech support and no answers seem to solve the issue. I erased everything from the system, partitioned and defragged then reinstalled all operating systems and software. PT 8.... Its loaded and running, I can at least record "live". NOw where are the plugins? I installed them also, registered and activated but they are no where to be found in my program files. Anyone out there had this problem ?? How did you solve it?

Windows Vista is compatible with Pro Tools 8 after tweaking the Laptop a little here and there and making minor adjustments to the operating system. The maximizing windows for Pro Tools option has not come into play yet. So far I have not been required to make the pc maximizations for compatibility.

sw rec 02-24-2009 09:49 AM

Re: Windows Vista and Pro Tools 8

We need a LOT more info to be able to help, so start here:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=193637
And I must ask, what are you using for a dedicated audio recording drive? Attempting to record to the system drive is NOT recommended, and it will give you fits. Plus, a partitioned system drive does NOT constitute a separate, dedicated drive and typically makes matters worse.

harlemrucker 02-26-2009 11:06 AM

Thank you sw rec

To answer sw rec's questions, I am using a usb firewire external drive for recording. I will take the partitioned drive info you provided into consideration. So far the pro tools software is working properly. I am having major issues with the plug ins and music files. When I down load them and try to import them into protools on a track I recieve promts, say windows cannot open this file type.

sw rec 02-26-2009 12:29 PM

Wait a second, is it a USB or a Firewire drive? If it has both interfaces, you should use the Firewire connection. Pro Tools is not qualified to record to a USB drive.
And you need to do more than "consider" not trying to record to a partition. It might work sometimes, but if you want it to be RELIABLE you need to follow Digi's recommendations and record ONLY to your dedicated audio drive.
Regarding the files you're trying to import...what file types are they?

harlemrucker 02-26-2009 01:41 PM

Im using a usb drive, but I will be installing the firewire drive. I did read that article from the link you send. Thank you it was very helpful and informative.

As for the file types. They are wav files. why am I having problems with windows opeing these files in Pro Tools? I can open them and play them in media center.

sw rec 02-26-2009 02:06 PM

Are they 44.1, 16 bit? What's your session file type default?

harlemrucker 02-27-2009 07:56 AM

yes they are 44.1 and 16 bit. Last night I opened the files using protools and guess what? this time pro time changed the files and I was able to load them into a session. daily im getting closer. Now if I could have the plug ins do this id be in business. Im trying to add some hardware this weekend to help improve performance. (firewire external drive, iLoc) Hopefully these additions will help rectify the VST and Plug in problems. By the way I clicked the link in your profile and browsed your web page. Very impressive. My goal is to accomplish exactly what you achieved in providing audio production services for consumers.

sw rec 02-27-2009 09:12 AM

The FW drive will certainly help. No performance gains from the I-lok, it holds authorizations for your plugins. So they will either work (I-lok in place) or not (NO I-lok.)
BTW, get a short USB extension cable. Plug the I-lok into the cable and the cable into the PC. This will keep the I-lok from getting snapped off at the connector. Discovered that the hard way......
And thanks for the kind words! Still slugging it out!!!!