Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Global MIDI Playback Offset also affects Click track (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=408770)

XJENSEN 03-04-2020 04:56 AM

Global MIDI Playback Offset also affects Click track

Hi everyone,

In my continuing quest to troubleshoot various Pro Tools timing issues regarding ADC, LLM and MIDI, I noticed that setting the Global MIDI Playback Offset (entered either via the MIDI Track Offsets window or under Setup>Preferences>MIDI) also affects the timing of the click track.

:eek:

I did not at all expect this! I also can't remember this was the case in the past. The problem is that your click will not adhere to the grid anymore and this makes timing judgements based on the click impossible!

I would expect the Click track to stay absolute to the grid, whatever the timing offset used?

:cool:

As a workaround, I am now Freezing the click track with a 0 offset and using that instead. But this makes me lose access to enabling/disabling the Click from the Transport section or via key commands. And I have to refreeze anytime there's any tempo change.

Any thoughts?

XJENSEN 03-31-2020 01:44 AM

Global Offset parameter for MIDI also affects Click Track?

Hi everyone,

While trying to figure out / overcome the constant drag of timing and delay compensation issues in Pro Tools, I was experimenting with the Global Offset parameter for MIDI, which is available in both the Preferences and the MIDI Track Offsets dialog.

To my surprise, this also offsets the Click Track (i.e. the Click plugin)! :confused:

Has anyone noticed this before? I don't think this is something you'd want? Or do you? The effect is that the Click will be out of sync with the Pro Tools grid, which is very confusing and can further lead to all sorts of inadvertent offsets during subsequent recording of audio to the click track?

XJENSEN 04-09-2020 02:50 PM

Re: Global Offset parameter for MIDI also affects Click Track?

Anyone?

Samick 06-23-2020 07:28 PM

Re: Global MIDI Playback Offset also affects Click track

I have the same doubt!!!

albee1952 06-26-2020 11:58 AM

It does make sense when you consider that the Click Track is actually midi-based but I agree that its undesirable. Best option I can see is to commit the click track to audio and then nudge it back to the grid:o The only global midi stuff I ever used was transpose:o

Samick 06-26-2020 04:40 PM

yes but i understand that time based effects like delays ... will be affected

DetroitT 06-27-2020 03:46 PM

try changing click track timebase into Sample-Base (Samples) maybe. (?)
Default is Tick-Base (Ticks).

albee1952 06-29-2020 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DetroitT (Post 2570886)
try changing click track timebase into Sample-Base (Samples) maybe. (?)
Default is Tick-Base (Ticks).

This was a great idea, but it didn't change work:confused:. The best solution I can find is to commit the click>on the resultant audio track, separate at the first click(using Tab to Transient), and snap it to the grid.

XJENSEN 10-29-2020 09:47 AM

This problem keeps messing up my sessions.. [emoji29]