Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Connecting 96 i/o to HD|Native (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=301926)

MikeLip 05-30-2011 06:58 PM

Connecting 96 i/o to HD|Native

Hi folks, I am contemplating an HD|Native purchase and have a couple of questions.

1. I notice from the Native manual, Pro Tools|HD will not launch without the HD card present (pg12). I run a main rig for tracking and mixing, but a laptop for comping. Do I need to keep my existing Pro Tools 9 (LE) and CPTK to run Pro Tools on my laptop?

2. I'm considering a 96 i/o; Liquid Saffire 56; and my trusty ADA8000.
a) Am I correct that 96 i/o should connect to Saffire via adat; ADA8000 should connect via 8 x XLR to balanced 1/4" analogue; and the Saffire firewire would be not connected to anything?
b) Saffire will receive word clock from 96 i/o through adat. ADA8000 should receive wc from 96 i/o's BNC - even though it is running analogue connections. Correct?

fyi, ADA8000 is only used for tracking drum kits.

I'm very new to HD|Native so appreciate the help.
Thanks,
Mike.
P.S. edit: I run at 24/48 if this pertinent.

nst7 05-30-2011 07:45 PM

Re: Connecting 96 i/o to HD|Native

1. The manual is wrong and needs to be updated. That's from the days before PT9. You can install your HD 9 software and immediately use it without any card hooked up, and without an interface. And it has all the features that would be in CPTK.

You can go ahead and sell your LE interface (unless you're using it for the trade up deal to HD Native), and you can sell your CPTK license, because you won't need it.

I say this from experience. I bought HD Native but don't yet have a Mac Pro to hook it up. I simply installed the HD software on my 2007 Imac and immediately it worked great, through the built in speakers and through my 003R.

Note that when you get the HD Native system, it comes with an HD8 disc. But when you register the software and the hardware, you will automatically be sent the HD9 license to your Ilok account. Also, you will have the full installer for 9.02, and the 9.0.3 updater in your account. You can simply download and install those and you're good to go. No need to do anything with those HD8 discs.

As for the other questions, maybe someone else can answer those.

MikeLip 05-30-2011 08:05 PM

Thanks for the clarification and quick reply, nst7. Yeah I did see the other thread - which only added to my confusion. All clear now on the software side :)
Mike.

nst7 05-30-2011 08:20 PM

I forgot to mention, I had also installed the 003 drivers for PT9. So when I said it worked great immediately, I forgot to mention that.

And if you're on Windows and want to use the built in i/o of your laptop, etc., I think you need to install the ASIO4all driver, or whatever it's called.

albee1952 05-30-2011 08:34 PM

I'm not sure you can run all 3 hardware units(96IO, LS56 and ADA8000) at the same time. I was always under the impression that the 96IO(and the 192 IO) can only provide 16 inputs(8 analog and 8 via lightpipe) by itself(plus 16 more if daisy-chained to another DIGI/Avid unit). Anybody know better?

MikeLip 05-30-2011 08:55 PM

Thanks albee. I'm only looking to use 16 in's. 8 Pre's on the Saffire and 8 Pres on the ADA both going into the 96i/o then to the HD card. Not sure if I was clear.
Ta,
Mike.

filosofem 05-30-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeLip (Post 1800047)
1. I notice from the Native manual, Pro Tools|HD will not launch without the HD card present (pg12).

A little trivial but the manual is correct. Without a HD card present but with a connected HD 9 iLok asset, Pro Tools 9 launches with Pro Tools and CPTK2. Not Pro Tools|HD.

p.s. you'll also need a DigiLink to DigiLink Mini adapter.

nst7 05-31-2011 07:05 AM

Well, every time I launch PT, the screen actually says "HD 9", so it sure seems like it's opening it.

nst7 05-31-2011 08:41 AM

Anyway, the main point to the OP or anyone else contemplating a purchase, is that once you have the HD 9 license, you can install the HD 9 software on as many computers you want, and on all of them you will have the full HD/CPTK software features, regardless of interface, of course with the limitation of using only one computer at a time with your Ilok plugged in.

filosofem 05-31-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nst7 (Post 1800191)
Well, every time I launch PT, the screen actually says "HD 9", so it sure seems like it's opening it.

Yes I understand this but it is not Pro Tools HD. It is Pro Tools and CPTK 2. Where for example is the TrackInput Monitoring Button?