Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Delaying the Last Word Without Mapping Every Single Word on Automation (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406151)

ZacMenton 08-30-2019 11:08 PM

Delaying the Last Word Without Mapping Every Single Word on Automation

I'm getting to intermediate territory in Pro Tools, and can easily automate a delay for the last word of a line. How would I map a key or make this process easier considering it would take me hours to do this for every word. I only have hands on my current regular computer keyboard, thus a MIDI keyboard would have to be virtually mapped, and online there are no set 'instructions' for what programs to use for this.

TL:DR
What is the best way I can automate a delay for a last word in a line of lyrics without having to drag the decibel line at custom and doing it based on the tempo.

Any help is appreciated, I have been looking for a while but this is quite time sensitive thus if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be helpful. Also if anybody needs clarification I can do that.

Led 08-31-2019 01:54 AM

Re: Delaying the Last Word Without Mapping Every Single Word on Automation

Create an audio track directly below the vocal, put a delay on the insert set to 100% wet.
Go through the vocal and select/highlight each word you want the delay on, hit control + c to copy, hit : to move down to the track below then ctrl+v to paste. It's also good to eq the delay track a bit after the delay insert to put it in it's own place frequency wise. You can set the delay tempo to slave to BPM, but it's often good work out the timings for say 8th or quarter notes and set it just off that, gives it a bit of a groove, go for the closest prime number..

JFreak 08-31-2019 04:01 AM

To me it sounds like you're looking for a "dynamic delay", a.k.a. delay that ducks itself out of the way when the vocal line is active.

Plenty of techniques available if you just search, most of them introduce you to a concept of "sidechaining".

JFreak 08-31-2019 04:08 AM

Oh, and welcome to the community!

weezul 08-31-2019 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZacMenton (Post 2536797)
How would I map a key / I only have hands on my current regular computer keyboard, thus a MIDI keyboard would have to be virtually mapped, and online there are no set 'instructions' for what programs to use for this.

Not gonna happen. You can't automate plugin parameters with MIDI in pro tools, at least not Pro Tools Software without a Eucon interface.

amagras 08-31-2019 07:12 AM

I just put the track on TOUCH and activate the send at the end of the words, you can automate the whole song in one pass. The idea of doubling the track with a 100% wet delay is another solution and the dynamic delay is even faster:
https://youtu.be/OTYdnBaEKSE

Sardi 08-31-2019 05:04 PM

Delaying the Last Word Without Mapping Every Single Word on Automation

Quote:

Originally Posted by weezul (Post 2536812)
Not gonna happen. You can't automate plugin parameters with MIDI in pro tools, at least not Pro Tools Software without a Eucon interface.

That’s not entirely accurate.

You can definitely automate plugins via MIDI, but it’s up to the developer to implement the functionality. I have many plugjns that I can automate via MIDI. I also have many that I can’t, such as all the included PT plugins.

Having said that, you have to have a MIDI track active as well routed to control the plugin. It’s not as seamless as when using an instrument track, but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benoni 09-01-2019 12:04 PM

What about using AudioSuite and rendering the delay on just the words you want?

Other than that, a ducking delay as mentioned would work great for this. The bx_delay 2500 has ducking built-in.

henningaround 09-01-2019 01:45 PM

I guess my first try would be to insert a gate after the delay and side chain the vocal track to it

ZacMenton 09-02-2019 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2536804)
Oh, and welcome to the community!

Thank you! And thanks for your help! I've played around with that and that does indeed sound close to what I need.