Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   To HEAT or not to HEAT? (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=404921)

tetonica 05-27-2019 06:19 AM

To HEAT or not to HEAT?

Is HEAT really worth it? Will HEAT ever be available on native Pro Tools (non Ultimate)? :confused:

Currently I am tempted to upgrade from Pro Tools (vanilla flavor) to Pro Tools Ultimate just to have access to HEAT.

Any suggestions/comments from the community would be greatly appreciated :-) !

midnightrambler 05-27-2019 06:23 AM

Re: To HEAT or not to HEAT?

I'm gonna be the first to put it my contentious opinion and say I don't get on with it. I've only ever tried adding after I've mixed though, never tried mixing with it on from the start. Also it doesn't work with instrument tracks so seems bit pointless if you've got a lot of VIs running.

Southsidemusic 05-27-2019 06:28 AM

Agree with some of Midnight points above!

We use it now and then but have fallen for other plugins that works on VI tracks too which is muy importante para nosotros seeing we use many VI tracks on every session so having to use HEAT on audio and other options on Instrument traxx is a bit annoying and if we want HEAT on all tracks we have to bounce to audio and redo that everytime we wanna change anything on a instrument track.

Also not working on non HD so no go with vanilla.

Also nr 2 it is not worth $500 and for less than $200 you can find alternatives that are Awesome!

So ... I would recommnend trying out other plugins for the HEAT on your traxx and there are some super great option today. Remember that HEAT is pretty old and still Avid wants $499 which is wayyy too much IMHO of course.

tetonica 05-27-2019 06:29 AM

Thanks - well I don't really use VI (virtual instruments) since I mostly I record analog synths, guitar, voices and an analog drum machine. So HEAT may help with tape-like or tube-like saturation for all of them! But I'm not so sure about spending so much just to get HEAT (but I would buy HEAT right now if HEAT was supported on non-Ultimate Pro Tools)

tetonica 05-27-2019 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2527354)
Also nr 2 it is not worth $500 and for less than $200 you can find alternatives that are Awesome!

What other alternatives to HEAT can you guys recommend? I'm running Pro Tools native (no HDX or Avid hardware) - thanks in advance!

amagras 05-27-2019 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tetonica (Post 2527356)
What other alternatives to HEAT can you guys recommend? I'm running Pro Tools native (no HDX or Avid hardware) - thanks in advance!

I use this, very happy with it, great results, great price. The difference between the 64 channels adds a lot of (welcome) unpredictability to the sound in the box
https://youtu.be/hwnIcxjDVZU

tetonica 05-27-2019 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amagras (Post 2527358)
I use this, very happy with it, great results, great price.

Thanks for the tip - will try a demo of the plugin and let my ears do their thing - cheers!

TrackerLe 05-27-2019 07:30 AM

There are alot of alternatives to heat... Cranesong (the creator hof heat) has his own plugin line...Phoenix 2, Ra, Peacock...which are also aax DSP.
I use them very often and they have a great quality. Then there is Slate VCC, Softube Harmonics, Sonimus Satson and Britson. McDsp Analog channel and more... I own Waves NLS, but i don´t use it. I think, there are better alternatives...

I still use Heat for mixing sessions (Audio Tracks only).... There is a workaround to use it with Instruments tracks. You route the Ins Tracks to Audio Tracks and activate input monitoring on the audio tracks. Then the instrument track routed to the audio track use Heat, thanks to the imput monitoring on the target audio track...

It works, but is not the fine way.

I hope, Avid reworks Heat, that it works with Instruments, Aux and co Tracks...

tetonica 05-27-2019 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrackerLe (Post 2527360)
I hope, Avid reworks Heat, that it works with Instruments, Aux and co Tracks...

From my part I hope HEAT becomes available on vanilla native Pro Tools (non Ultimate) :cool:

Meads 05-27-2019 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tetonica (Post 2527361)
From my part I hope HEAT becomes available on vanilla native Pro Tools (non Ultimate) :cool:

With your initial post you disincentivize Avid to do so yourself.

Southsidemusic 05-27-2019 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tetonica (Post 2527361)

Many do but I honestly don’t think it will be available for non HD versions. Avid has made HEAT work with non Avid hardware which was a welcome feature but as peolpme who use PT vanilla still feel $99 a year to stay current is too much, and the price of buying a PT 2019 perpetual license basically the same as a HEAT License ... how are those guys and gals gonna motivate that $499 expense .... Probably not happening.

I mean the competitors are soo much cheaper so Avid will most likely keep it HD only.

Our Waves NLS license is for sale if anyone want it. $50 plus $25 transfer fee from iLok.

tetonica 05-27-2019 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2527364)
PT 2019 perpetual license basically the same as a HEAT License ... how are those guys and gals gonna motivate that $499 expense .... Probably not happening..

I see you're point. However I do own a permanent license of Pro Tools (vanilla) and feel quite comfortable paying $99/year to stay current (think is a great deal). And I would buy HEAT for $499 if I could use it on my vanilla Pro Tools :cool: With PT Ultimate I don't think I would be so comfortable paying $399/year to stay current.... so for the time being my temptation to upgrade to Ultimate just for HEAT is staying in check... :-) (thanks to everyone who provided tips / suggestions)

tclash 05-27-2019 09:05 AM

I second TrackerLe on Crane Song Phoenix 2. I use it on literally every track.

tetonica 05-27-2019 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tclash (Post 2527372)
I second TrackerLe on Crane Song Phoenix 2. I use it on literally every track.

When looking into Phoenix 2 plugin I found a hardware equivalent of Avid's HEAT called Crane Song's "HEDD Quantum" http://www.cranesong.com/Hedd_Quantum.html

Seems Dave Hill has been busy... :cool: (and I need to find a way to explain to my wife why spending more money on music gear is a good thing)

tclash 05-27-2019 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tetonica (Post 2527383)
When looking into Phoenix 2 plugin I found a hardware equivalent of Avid's HEAT called Crane Song's "HEDD Quantum" http://www.cranesong.com/Hedd_Quantum.html

Yeah I print my mixes through a HEDD-192 too. I'm a big fan of Dave Hill!

JFreak 05-27-2019 11:35 AM

HEAT already works on native so next logical step would be allowing it on non-HD (once their marketing dept wants the extra cash)

Southsidemusic 05-27-2019 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2527392)
HEAT already works on native so next logical step would be allowing it on non-HD (once their marketing dept wants the extra cash)

True that but to be 100% clear with the terminology:

... when people say it works on PT Native we whouldn’t confuse that with Non HD versions as in ”Native” systems as you will always need a PTHD version with or without Avid hardware thanks to the fact they uncoupled HEAT from the need for Avid Hardware when HD12 came out I believe.

JFreak 05-27-2019 12:13 PM

true.

so.. currently working on native but requiring HD license. therefore it is only marketing dept decision not allowing HEAT on "vanilla" or first

tetonica 05-29-2019 05:15 PM

Today I got a 30 days Trial/Demo of Pro Tools Ultimate and HEAT :-)

So far HEAT makes every audio track sound really good :cool:

Still it is such a bummer that I don't really need all the features of Ultimate :confused:

midnightrambler 05-30-2019 02:05 AM

Hmm. It makes everything louder. Try doing an A-B test, level-matched. (You may have to print a mix in order to do this.)

tetonica 05-30-2019 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnightrambler (Post 2527804)
Hmm. It makes everything louder

Yes - is louder but also different - I asked my wife to listen without explaining what it was (HEAT, tube / tape saturation) and she preferred the same tracks with HEAT - I asked her "is it because is louder?" and she said "no, it simply sounds better" (she would not like the price $$ but that's for another day)

midnightrambler 05-30-2019 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tetonica (Post 2527809)
Yes - is louder but also different - I asked my wife to listen without explaining what it was (HEAT, tube / tape saturation) and she preferred the same tracks with HEAT - I asked her "is it because is louder?" and she said "no, it simply sounds better" (she would not like the price $$ but that's for another day)

Not scientific enough. Print 2 mixes, get them level matched (maybe use a LUFS meter?), then get her to listen. Nearly every "lay" person will prefer a slightly louder signal and say it sounds "better", even if they can't detect that's it's 1dB or so (unless obvious clipping occurs). If you don't believe me just run off exactly the same mix but make one 1/1.5dB louder. She will definitely say she louder one sounds "better", even though it's exactly the same mix.

If you're using the "tone" knob then that will obviously make the mix slightly brighter or darker, and again, most people will say they prefer a slightly brighter signal...unless it's so bright it's starting to take your scalp off.

tetonica 05-30-2019 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnightrambler (Post 2527810)
Not scientific enough

Ah - I actually did measure with Audio Suite > Other > Pro Limiter Loudness Analyzer and the HEAT mix got to 14 LUFS while the non-HEAT was originally 16 LUFS :confused:

Then I re-worked the HEAT mix to match the original mix at 16 LUFS (just tweaking "Pro Limiter" at the end of master bus). Then I listened to both mixes and they sounds very similar, except the HEAT mix has a little something else that is pleasant :rolleyes:

In the end I'm just testing it before I make a decision to upgrade my vanilla Pro Tools (permanent license) to Pro Tools Ultimate + HEAT. I know there are plugins that do something similar (tube / tape saturation) but none is integrated in the mixer like HEAT (which i think is elegant).

Besides the sound, I also I like the blinking yellow lights in the mixer tracks when HEAT is working, reminds me of vintage tube amps :cool:

midnightrambler 05-30-2019 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tetonica (Post 2527815)
Ah - I actually did measure with Audio Suite > Other > Pro Limiter Loudness Analyzer and the HEAT mix got to 14 LUFS while the non-HEAT was originally 16 LUFS :confused:

Then I re-worked the HEAT mix to match the original mix at 16 LUFS (just tweaking "Pro Limiter" at the end of master bus). Then I listened to both mixes and they sounds very similar, except the HEAT mix has a little something else that is pleasant :rolleyes:

In the end I'm just testing it before I make a decision to upgrade my vanilla Pro Tools (permanent license) to Pro Tools Ultimate + HEAT. I know there are plugins that do something similar (tube / tape saturation) but none is integrated in the mixer like HEAT (which i think is elegant).

Besides the sound, I also I like the blinking yellow lights in the mixer tracks when HEAT is working, reminds me of vintage tube amps :cool:

Great - if you like it, go for it :D

685 06-12-2019 09:09 PM

I was wondering what settings everyone uses?

My mix template is set to:

Audio Tracks: PRE
Drive: 1 O'clock
Tone: 11 O'clock (sometimes 2 O'clock)

jscomposer 06-13-2019 01:56 AM

I bet most would've been happier with HEAT in PT vanilla than the dozen random extras they threw in over the last few years. :rolleyes:

JFreak 06-13-2019 03:00 AM

All of us would be happiest once PT goes full circle and returns to one unified (1st excluded) software. I'm not holding my breath though...

the.engineer 06-14-2019 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 685 (Post 2529333)
I was wondering what settings everyone uses?

My mix template is set to:

Audio Tracks: PRE
Drive: 1 O'clock
Tone: 11 O'clock (sometimes 2 O'clock)

I have drive set to -2 (10 o clock) and tone set to +1 (1 o clock) I love it!

James Welch
Recording Engineer | Producer
Masterlink Productions

Mac Pro 5,1 (Mid 2010) | 3.46GHz Six-Core Intel Xeon | 32GB Ram | AMD Radeon R9 280X 3072 MB | 256GB Samsung SM951 SSD Blade (PCIe) System Drive | 1TB WDC Sample Drive | 4TB RAID 0 Seagate Audio Drive | UAD-2 Quad PCIe
Mojave 10.14.5 | Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.5 | HDX | Avid Omni | Avid 16x16 HD I/O x2 | Digidesign 192 | Digidesign C24

TOM@METRO 06-14-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the.engineer (Post 2529441)
I have drive set to -2 (10 o clock) and tone set to +1 (1 o clock) I love it!

When I use HEAT, I often use that same setting.

xrekcor 06-14-2019 05:35 PM

Downunder we have DeepHEAT doesn’t do much for PT but great for muscle pain:D

I would happily give back all the free stuff.... which I don’t really use to have HEAT in PT vanilla

zedhed 06-14-2019 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tetonica (Post 2527383)
(and I need to find a way to explain to my wife why spending more money on music gear is a good thing)

I just tell mine "It's music to your ears". :D

xrekcor 06-14-2019 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zedhed (Post 2529455)
I just tell mine "It's music to your ears". :D

Good ol kiwi girls....

midnightrambler 06-23-2019 01:10 PM

So how do you guys get round Melodyne running? Do you run HEAT into Melodyne? Or do you end up having to print Melodyne? I was just trying it out (again) and ended up swearing at it (again).

Raoul23 06-23-2019 02:19 PM

I run my audio in to it with HEAT off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

midnightrambler 06-24-2019 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raoul23 (Post 2530554)
I run my audio in to it with HEAT off

So you end up with non-heated vocals with everything else heated? Kind of whacks the finely tuned balances out, no? Or maybe you're running Heat from the get-go on everything except the vocals? Still can't really get my head around the best way of implementing it.

the.engineer 06-25-2019 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnightrambler (Post 2530590)
So you end up with non-heated vocals with everything else heated? Kind of whacks the finely tuned balances out, no? Or maybe you're running Heat from the get-go on everything except the vocals? Still can't really get my head around the best way of implementing it.

I record into melodyne with it bypassed, do my tuning then commit the track to a new track and enable heat.

James Welch
Recording Engineer | Producer
Masterlink Productions

Mac Pro 5,1 (Mid 2010) | 3.46GHz Six-Core Intel Xeon | 32GB Ram | AMD Radeon R9 280X 3072 MB | 256GB Samsung SM951 SSD Blade (PCIe) System Drive | 1TB WDC Sample Drive | 4TB RAID 0 Seagate Audio Drive | UAD-2 Quad PCIe
Mojave 10.14.5 | Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.5 | HDX | Avid Omni | Avid 16x16 HD I/O x2 | Digidesign 192 | Digidesign C24

JFreak 06-26-2019 09:28 AM

HEAT available for standard software as of 2019.6

Sugarnutz 06-26-2019 12:06 PM

I’ve never used Heat and probably won’t now as it’s usage has been extended to Vanilla PT with prices set to rise when the principals of supply & demand kick in. Everything I’ve seen about heat is that it’s a distortion/harmonic type plugin to make digital sound more like analog tape. I have used other plugins with good success to achieve similar results. I use Wave’s Kramer Tape and sometimes the Pie Compressor with one customer paying the best compliment of “Now that sounds like a record!” after tweakin’ them a little. As it probably is with Heat a little goes a long way sometimes, any effect type plugin is the same.

I started my professional audio career over 40 yrs ago mastering vinyl for major labels and within two yrs I was running a 16 track studio along with it with me being the maintenance tech also. I was 18-20 yrs old through this period, a full plate indeed. I kinda knew what I was doing as I had been doing it since I was 15 and at 18 I had joined the US Navy and was offered entry into their Nuclear Program choosing Cryptology Technician Maintenance instead (badazz electronics training fer’ a year & a half), but was injured on active duty and discharged within two months of entering.

One of the things I learned during this period was setting up my Scully 2” 16 track was that properly biased Scotch 250 at 15 ips, +3 over 185 nW/m and let it “Spank” a little sounded record ready with little EQ or compression when it came time to mix. The only thing was Memphis was an Ampex 456 town with all the studios sharing the same Ampex rep (if one studio got in a bind and needed a roll or two of 2” or 1/4” in a pinch, no problem and no re-biasing needed). Just too hard to re-bias a 16 track dinosaur for local and sometimes low budget projects, but when something out of town came in on 250 I liked it! Some of these plugins offer behind the panel adjustments offer bias, hi/lo EQ adjustments also. Again, just a little is all that’s needed sometimes to make something shine.

Thing is it’s all just another color on yer’ palette, there are so many others out there now and just because you got it don’t mean you gotta use it. Train yer’ ears to listen to the “Small” differences an effect makes before going whole hog on it. Sometimes doing this you may or may not like what it does, but remember what it does ‘cause it might be just what you need on something else and with 384 voices available there’s always something else.
:cool:

xrekcor 06-26-2019 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2530895)
HEAT available for standard software as of 2019.6

Mmmmm so we’re getting another update this year.... any ETA on that Freak

Raoul23 06-26-2019 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnightrambler (Post 2530590)

No. Once I’ve tuned I then import the audio and turn HEAT on the track [emoji106]