Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Licensing & Accounts (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   License Surrender Process Fails and Doesn't Work !!!!! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=393713)

Just Phab 09-13-2017 09:27 PM

License Surrender Process Fails and Doesn't Work !!!!!

Can someone help me understand why in the middle of my session My PT12 is randomly disabled despite buying the software outright (Non Subscription) Paid in full.

The dialog box tells me I need surrender license(s) in order for those licenses to be ported over the latest iLok with no reason articulated.

Why? Even when I attempted to try and and comply with the surrender it failed. I am unable to select the surrender items and click complete. Is there a bug?

Was this ever unit tested internally before releasing this for customer consumption?

If I haven't dropped any clues (and clearly have) ..... yes I am extremely frustrated and seeking remedy.

Killed all and any creative flow I had and I was in the zone after having not been able to get there. Uncool. Buzz Kill. But let's collectively find a remedy here and in haste kid got work to do.

Darryl Ramm 09-13-2017 09:58 PM

License Surrender Process Fails and Doesn't Work !!!!!

Did you search in DUC for anything related to the error you got? There have been licensing issues that have hit folks recently that are discussed here. Did you upgrade ILM? Which addresses the most common recent issue (that is not just just with PT First, that this article sounds like...). http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/E...hing-Pro-Tools (that does not sound like what you are getting... but upgrading ILM is usual troubleshooting anyhow).

What *exactly* did the message say? It is trying to upgrade to what? What exact Pro Tools 12 product (standard? HD?) and version are you running.

If that is not it, open a support case so folks here can escalate for you. One guess for random stuff like this us somebody has provided your iLok account info when trying to activate/upgrade a product. Think carefully who has that info, if you may have exposed it when say selling licenses to others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

panamajack 09-14-2017 08:07 AM

Re: License Surrender Process Fails and Doesn't Work !!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Phab (Post 2449432)
. . . If I haven't dropped any clues (and clearly have). . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2449438)
. . . What *exactly* did the message say? It is trying to upgrade to what? What exact Pro Tools 12 product (standard? HD?) and version are you running. . . .

Without knowing which revision of Pro Tools you are running, readers may not understand the nature of your issue, or their ability to offer pertinent advice will be compromised.

There was a license change mid-stream in Pro Tools 12: the initial PT 12 license only works up until 12.5.x. For PT 12.6 and later, a different license is required.

Whether you are running Windows or a Mac OS is also significant. Not all versions of Pro Tools run on any version of a PC or Mac OS.

Whether you bought your license from Avid, from a third-party reseller, or previously-owned from a private party might also be significant.

Not all machines have the same USB ports; there have been issues with the iLok and USB 3 ports on some Apple products. There is always a possibility of unanticipated hardware failure. What specific version of the iLok manager did you install?

And, are you using a supported computer and a supported interface? Maybe clue readers into your setup: how much memory, CPU speed, type of hard drive, manufacturer or components if home-made, any additional hardware installed unrelated to Pro Tools?

What were you doing in the middle of your session when Pro Tools randomly disabled?

Got work to do? That's a good thing.

Just Phab 09-14-2017 07:21 PM

Thanks Darryl for the prompt reply and thoughtful insights. Here is what I recall, I opened a session began mixing and decided to close the session and open a different session and something caused the application to hang. I believe it was an older session that was mapped to an old hardware source.

I force closed PT12 and attempted to reopen it and that is when I got the message telling me I needed to Surrender my existing license Keys or Buy the Software again.

I believe also receive a dialog box telling me my existing iLok was out dated and to upgrade. Which I did but the navigation for executing the surrender fails. I am unable to select the licenses to surrender and click complete. This is where the process appears to log jammed.

Here is my system infrastructure and Software

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac13,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: IM131.010A.B09
SMC Version (system): 2.11f14

OSX: 10.9.5

USB 3.0 Hi-Speed Bus:

Host Controller Location: Built-in USB
Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBXHCI
PCI Device ID: 0x1e31
PCI Revision ID: 0x0004
PCI Vendor ID: 0x8086
Bus Number: 0x0a

Audio Interface: Universal Audio Thunderbolt Apollo 8

ILM (iLok Manager 2nd Gen):
3.1.7.899 (r37900)
10 Licenses Owned by me,
Firmware Version 5.2

PT: Version 12.1.3

Just Phab 09-14-2017 07:24 PM

Hi Darryl

I just tried to open PT again and it prompted me indicating that the last time PT was closed it was forced closed and presented options to either open the previous session or and I chose to open the last session and she booted flawlessly.

I was not presented with Surrender validations etc. Head scratcher.....

I'll take for now. Let me know if there actions I need to take to avoid reoccurrence. Thanks again for the insight and KT.

Just Phab

Darryl Ramm 09-14-2017 09:57 PM

I would still check you are running the latest ILM software and update if not. (oops edit: I see you are on the latest 3.1.7).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffro 09-16-2017 11:40 AM

Sorry for the interruption here. Checked your account and I see you have a Pro Tools Perpetual Bundle (with 10/11/12) which was deposited in Sep 2016 for the 12.6 release. That's dependent on surrender of your Pro Tools 10/11/12 bundle which I assume if the one you are unable to select? Will get a support case going to solve this, so please look for a case notice email in a bit...

Just Phab 11-22-2017 08:15 PM

Hi jeffro,

First and foremost thanks for getting a case raised on my behalf. Unfortunately the case notification to me for action unknowingly went to spam and was dispositioned as closed abandoned due lack of response.

I recently replied to the case but have not received a response likely the result of the current disposition 'Auto - No Customer Response'. I added AVID to my contact list so this should no longer be challenge moving forward.

Seems my issue has resurfaced again this time it's a hard stop with no remedy insight.

I updated my iLok as per your suggestion.

Current version is @ 4.0.1.1052 (r39996). I attempted the surrender process again and I encounter the following error.

'One or more licenses to surrender cannot be found in your account. Click Ok to end this operation.'

I see the following in my account under "Product Name" region of the surrender pane as you previously confirmed:

Pro Tools 10/11/12 (NT)
Pro Tools 12
Pro Tools 11
Pro Tools 10
Pro Tools 12

I did observe that PT12 is listed twice in the list, could this be a variable contributing to the failed validation?

However what I see in the upper most pane "Valid Locations Product Name" is:

Pro Tools Perpetual Bundle (with 10/11/12( (4)
Pro Tools 10
Pro Tools 11
Pro Tools 12
Pro Tools Perpetual

So I guess the next logical question is why is it that the validation fails to see what is rendered in the UI? This looks to be some form of a bug. I have proof of purchase that I bought PT outright with a 1 Year Subscription Upgrade. This is quite puzzling.

Can you reopen my current case # 03289924 so we don't have to rehash what has already been provided and keep the continuity of the reported problem or port it's content over to a newly scribed case.

Been on the road, was hoping to get some work down given the long holiday weekend. Dead in my tracks until I can push pass this current situation which leaves me quite frustrated.

Hope you have a fantastic holiday and if you stirring about and feel my pain and open to assist I would greatly appreciate any value add here.

Down and out in PT Land for the moment.

Just Phab 11-28-2017 05:02 PM

Called AVID Support Registration. They issued me a temp license for 14 Days to bridge the Gap until they can resolve the technical issue that was confirmed on their end.

Appreciate the initial assist. Back in business eagerly awaiting permanent corrective action. Be nice if they could proactively alert users when these type of issues surface to minimize downtime and cost.

Just Phab 11-28-2017 07:34 PM

Guess I should be so optimistic when iLok says it activated the temp license.

New news the iLok Activation is not being recognized by PT.
Can't begin to articulate how frustrated I am.

I get the standard Select License to Activate Dialog Bock indicating 'You don't have any licenses in your account, or none of the licenses there have activations available.

What is going on with AVID. Basic operational execution and QA seems to have fallen out the window

Rebooted whole 9 and crickets on the Launch of PT.