Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Re: interface white noise (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=352250)

2224 03-12-2014 07:00 PM

Re: interface white noise

I have 2 16x16 interface and they were connected in daisy chain and I was having an issue with inputting an external instrument like bass or guitar it would cut out intermittently,so I disconnected 1 of the interface and everything worked like it should, my question is should I get another digi cable and use the other input on the card or what??
any help is appreciated.
Thanks

musicman691 03-13-2014 04:54 AM

What I would do first would be to swap the digilink cable from the setup that works to the cable you disconnected and see if the problem returns. If it doesn't and still works okay then the cable isn't the issue but maybe one of the ports. You could try running the two converter boxes into separate connectors on your interface card.

Are you running a preamp or some such between the guitar/bass and the converter?

2224 03-13-2014 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2140491)
What I would do first would be to swap the digilink cable from the setup that works to the cable you disconnected and see if the problem returns. If it doesn't and still works okay then the cable isn't the issue but maybe one of the ports. You could try running the two converter boxes into separate connectors on your interface card.

Are you running a preamp or some such between the guitar/bass and the converter?

Ok, here is the thing musicman691, I did all of the above and yes I have a pre amp in between the guitar and interface and I changed it to a new one when this started to happened, so what I want to do now is get the proper daisy chain process or just get another divi link cable and run them separate.

musicman691 03-13-2014 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2224 (Post 2140729)
Ok, here is the thing musicman691, I did all of the above and yes I have a pre amp in between the guitar and interface and I changed it to a new one when this started to happened, so what I want to do now is get the proper daisy chain process or just get another divi link cable and run them separate.

You tried each converter separately (one at a time) into your I/O card and with both existing cables? Did you still have the problem? When you say you changed to a new one - a new one what - preamp? You should be able to daisy chain two converters together no problem and if that's not working you may have a problem inside one of the converters which is why I said to try what I said. You need to try all different combinations of cables and converters and if necessary just run one converter into each digilink connector on the interface card.

2224 03-13-2014 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2140732)
You tried each converter separately (one at a time) into your I/O card and with both existing cables? Did you still have the problem? When you say you changed to a new one - a new one what - preamp? You should be able to daisy chain two converters together no problem and if that's not working you may have a problem inside one of the converters which is why I said to try what I said. You need to try all different combinations of cables and converters and if necessary just run one converter into each digilink connector on the interface card.

It does say in my post that I have a pre and I changed for a new one, and yes each converter worked by themselves fine.

musicman691 03-14-2014 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2224 (Post 2140739)
It does say in my post that I have a pre and I changed for a new one, and yes each converter worked by themselves fine.

Your post wasn't clear if you changed the preamp or something else. The converters should daisy chain just fine (interface cart to primary port on first converter and the expansion port of that converter to the primary port on the second converter). But if not just connect each converter to separate digilink ports on the interface card.

A thought - do you have the word clocking and loop sync connected properly?

I'm assuming you're using Avid converters right? If so are they the HD I/O?

2224 03-14-2014 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2140813)
Your post wasn't clear if you changed the preamp or something else. The converters should daisy chain just fine (interface cart to primary port on first converter and the expansion port of that converter to the primary port on the second converter). But if not just connect each converter to separate digilink ports on the interface card.

A thought - do you have the word clocking and loop sync connected properly?

I'm assuming you're using Avid converters right? If so are they the HD I/O?

My clocking is the blue face sync I/O and Iam using Avid converter I will try the hook up the way hou said it here and post results. Thanks

2224 03-15-2014 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2224 (Post 2140917)
My clocking is the blue face sync I/O and Iam using Avid converter I will try the hook up the way hou said it here and post results. Thanks

Ok, so it all seem to be working right.

musicman691 03-16-2014 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2224 (Post 2141306)
Ok, so it all seem to be working right.

Alright! Let's hope it continues to work out okay.