Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Blend between two tracks (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=352393)

jf.burman 03-16-2014 10:37 AM

Blend between two tracks

Does someone knows a way to blend between two mono tracks with a single knob in pro tools? maybe with the use of a plugin?

For example, I would like to blend between a compressed and a non compressed version of the same track without affecting the audio level.

I first thought of putting the two mono tracks in a stereo one and then maybe I could find a plugin that could blend between the left and right side before summing them to mono.

Or is there a way to group two tracks to do the opposite of each other so when I pull up a fader the other one goes down?

Thank's

JFreak 03-16-2014 12:01 PM

Re: Blend between two tracks

Create a stereo track where you have non-compressed on left and compressed on right, then buss that stereo track to stereo aux and then again to mono aux. Experiment with panning on that middle stereo aux.

Or just send those mono tracks to the middle stereo aux, one of them hard left another hard right. That is just the same, except this way you have more flexibility in some other extra processing.

Craig F 03-16-2014 12:03 PM

I'm not aware of any plug-in also you will need to adjust the level between the compressed and uncompressed tracks

I would just old school ride the faders between the 2 at the end of the day I think it would be easier

elicious 03-17-2014 02:49 AM

you can do this with the asymmetry param on waves S1 shuffler;
assuming you buss to a stereo aux first.

or, just get a parallel comp with a mix knob,
like waves h-comp, flux syrah, solera, or kush ubk-1 (kinda...)
e

DC-Choppah 03-17-2014 07:28 AM

Mid/Side to the rescue.

Send the output of the mono tracks to the left and right of a new stereo aux track. The pan pots will now adjust the mix of the two. Link the two pan knobs together so they always point to the same location (like a balance control on a stereo). So now you have a 'single' control that balances the two inputs but keeps the level constant. Send this output to another new aux.

Then insert a mid/side plugin on this second new aux (there are many free ones). The 'left' channel is now the sum which is what you want. So send this to a third mono aux track.

You can hide the two intermediate aux tracks and just show the last one which will be your level control and insert point for the original summed track.

This could work with stereo material too if you did the same thing on both the left and right side separately. :cool:

jf.burman 03-18-2014 07:12 PM

Fortunately I have the Waves S1 and it worked, you just have to insert the Downmixer after.
DC-Choppah technique also seams a good solution if you don't have the S1.
Thank's a lot!

I first wanted to do this to blend a processed snare track from the Drumatom software with the original one so I could have a control on the amount of bleed I 'm taking out.
It's also a great way to blend a Bass D.I. with an amp or anything recorded with two mics.