Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   MacOS Sonoma (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=426021)

gnjlee 09-26-2023 10:12 AM

MacOS Sonoma

Alright, we all know it isn't supported, but folks are gonna install it anyway. Who is first? And does your PT rig still work following the install? :D

sw rec 09-26-2023 11:15 AM

Re: MacOS Sonoma

Count me out! Mine works splendidly with Ventura, and I have work to do.
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

Eric Lambert 09-26-2023 11:24 AM

I've been using Sonoma an PT on a non-production Mac for a couple months and it seems fine. It certainly wasn't tested thoroughly.

BScout 09-26-2023 11:33 AM

Sonoma has some major changes to CoreAudio.
That is going to hurt and help some DAWs but plugin manufacturers will also have to do updates. We're almost at the point that plugin makers have moved to Apple ARM AAX so I'm not anxious to beta test what's going to happen next.
Count me out.

Anthony Jr. 09-26-2023 12:00 PM

I’ve seen a handful of moderators mention that they’ve been running Sonoma betas on non-critical computers, and haven’t had much trouble. I’ve even seen a post about how Sonoma fixed a critical ProTools bug prior to the latest update. Really hoping to see a few more hands raised mentioning successes.

I usually wait until .1 updates, but the majority of my post history probably laminates how critical I’ve been of AVID (and even Digidesign back in the day) for taking sometimes 6-9 months to update their software for a new OS. I’ve been even more critical once they switched to a subscription model.

I’m going to wait as long as possible on my M2 Ultra Mac Studio, but considering making the jump on my M1 Max MBP. Really like a lot of refinements this OS update, which would help a lot for my video production workflows. Just excited to dig in with enough go-ahead.

CygnusX-1Bk2 09-26-2023 05:27 PM

I jumped from Monterrey to Ventura last week, so no... :D

mattrixx 09-26-2023 06:08 PM

I've been running Sonoma (for a couple of reasons related to CoreAudio) on two systems (Mac Studio Ultra, MacbookProMAX), since the first RC Public beta. Have had zero issues and it's so much faster. Haven't encountered any plugin issues.

Darryl Ramm 09-26-2023 06:49 PM

I've wanted to get on a test install of Sonoma. Some of the recent XCode betas have been frustrating me with bugs and I've not wanted to even test Sonoma. Alright I'll bite the bullet, and make it a project for next weekend.

mattrixx 09-26-2023 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2681930)
I've wanted to get on a test install of Sonoma. Some of the recent XCode betas have been frustrating me with bugs and I've not wanted to even test Sonoma. Alright I'll bite the bullet, and make it a project for next weekend.

Stating the obvious, but make sure you've got backups to revert to.

Darryl Ramm 09-26-2023 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattrixx (Post 2681931)
Stating the obvious, but make sure you've got backups to revert to.

Yes, good point. I have so many bootable macOS images across 12TB or so of NVMe storage. A test install like I will do is not confused with production.

Ironically one distraction has been XCode Beta problems... if only they were as stable as macOS updates/betas...