Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Overly Compressed Music (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=226278)

Ozman 08-07-2008 06:11 PM

Restoring Overly Compressed Music

Anyone with tips for restoring music that's been overly compressed and totally saturated, and also has a fair of distortion and clicks. Perhaps an "inexpensive" plugin that might facilitate ?

Many thanks

Richard P

albee1952 08-07-2008 08:03 PM

I hate to say it but, I doubt anything(at any price) will breath life into this kind of recording. Better to start over.

cheekypaul 08-08-2008 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozman (Post 1271041)
Anyone with tips for restoring music that's been overly compressed and totally saturated, and also has a fair of distortion and clicks. Perhaps an "inexpensive" plugin that might facilitate ?

Many thanks

Richard P

what kind of music is it?
there are a few ways to improve. but, as already stated, you're really chasing good after bad. the results will be ok at best.

Ozman 08-08-2008 06:52 PM

Its a live recording very inexpertly recorded meant to go with a vision piece - essential part of a doco film. Unfortunately, its part of a moment and can't be redone. So how to make the best of a very bad situation ?

Any thoughts most appreciated.

Thanks

Richard P

M.Brane 08-08-2008 08:28 PM

In a case like that I'd say a bit of surgical EQ to lessen the worst, and call it good. It is what it is. I know of no plug-in that can make chicken salad out of chicken.............

Well, you know the rest.;)

mindnoise 08-08-2008 08:37 PM

HI,

you may try your luck with SonyOxford Transient Designer, Inflator and Suppressor. if you have and an ilok the demos work in 14day trial mode.

Start at a lower volume level and see what these can do to INCREASE whats left of the transients.

Don´t expect wonders, but since you can try for free it might be worth a shot or two.

best

albee1952 08-08-2008 09:22 PM

...and maybe some creative fader automation too.

cheekypaul 08-09-2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozman (Post 1271361)
Its a live recording very inexpertly recorded meant to go with a vision piece - essential part of a doco film. Unfortunately, its part of a moment and can't be redone. So how to make the best of a very bad situation ?

Any thoughts most appreciated.

Thanks

Richard P

hello richard,
is it rock music? is it classical? is it noisy? is it too bright/bass heavy/unintelligible?
can you post a quick snippet?

there's not a lot you can do to restore original transients.

Ozman 08-10-2008 05:50 PM

Ha, the style is tango music.

Thanks Cheekypaul, I don't have a snippet yet - the director's coming in a couple of weeks time - but I know what to expect having seen an earlier version.

Thanks for the tip re the Sony stuff - I'll give them a go - and yes, sometime creative fadering/and surgical eq too.. It'll be fun trying a bit of doctoring

Many thanks all - I'll report back on success (or lack of it) in a few weeks.

Cheers

Richard

Stiff 08-11-2008 03:03 AM

The only thing I can really think of is Flux Dcompressor, which is just that - a de-compressor. Not sure if you'll have much luck with it but it could be worth trying.