Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Pro Tools LE Vs. HD (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=124676)

Eugene shuford4 12-28-2004 10:49 AM

Pro Tools LE Vs. HD

How is every one?

I own a Digi 002R and I really need to know if I can get an industry sound with it, or is the HD system something I need to start saving up for, because people are telling me that I might not be able to get the pro sound out of the LE I'm so confused.
If some one can please tell me the real Difference Between Pro Tools|HD & Pro Tools LE
I well be very thankful.

Riad 12-28-2004 10:58 AM

Re: Pro Tools LE Vs. HD

It really depends are how far you want to take your recording, and what type of recording you will be doing.

You can absolutely get professional results with a 002, or 002 Rack. One of the main reasons I upgraded from 002 to HD was the track count and I think Digi is smart that way. If PT LE's track count was limited to your CPU power many people wouldn't find the need to upgrade, I don't think I would have.

Is there a sonic difference between HD and a Digi002... technically yes. Things like a 48bit mix buss vs. 32 bit mix buss, floating point vs. fixed, but to be honest it's not striking, so many other factors go into getting the right sound.

So if track count and marketing are not huge factors for you then I say invest in some high quality converts, mic pres, and mics.

A Digi002 with some nice outboard gear can yeld some incredible results in the right hands.

YMMV,
Rob

bigbubbaj 12-28-2004 10:59 AM

You can in fact get pro sound from LE.

Give a pro engineer either system and they will get the same sounds (roughly).

Mic choice, placement, room, performance are all far more important than the DAW hardware. I am not saying that LE is as good as HD, only that you can get results that sound the same to the listener.

I'm sure Rail and Chris Cavell will have some thoughts on this.

Welcome to the DUC!

-Justin

Eugene shuford4 12-28-2004 11:11 AM

Thanks for the info thats just what I needed.

stanonbass 01-01-2005 12:55 AM

I recorded some stuff on HD once and it didnt come out that great. HD is nice though. But outboard gear is and good ears is where great sounding recordings come from. 002R and a some good outboard gear can get just as good of results as higher end system. Only thing that blows about LE is the track count. But im not spending 15k to get more tracks. I will switch to another audio program before i do that.

Carl Fuehrer 01-01-2005 08:56 AM

Look at it this way, there are still major albums being made on Mix and Mix+ systems and their converters are a lesser quaility then the ones on your 002! I say it's 75% the engineer and their knowledge on achiveing the desired sound, then knowing what gear to use to get there.

stanonbass 01-01-2005 12:07 PM

Actually if you look at the converters on a Mix system there slightly better then and 002. The only thing they lack is 96k capability. But they dont spec much better then and 002 converter.

Stan

Jumpman 01-01-2005 01:44 PM

Eugene,
I'm in the same boat. We've been very busy with our 002, and have been very satisfied with the final product in the last nine albums we've done. (since June this year!) But I'm looking for more power to add effects and more track counts. I'm looking into HD right now, but I have to make sure that I can recoup the investment rather quickly. It's a lot of money, and I too want to make sure that the extra 15-20K (with the 192 I/O) and a new computer will make that big of a difference. Any body else with advice for me?

Thanks,

~Dave Turnbull

fredsparky 01-01-2005 01:50 PM

Ho do you add a good converter to an 001?

Allen Hallada 01-01-2005 04:38 PM

Quote:

Ho do you add a good converter to an 001?

I think you can get better sound using an external converter than you can with HD. Here is how you do it.
1. Cranesone HEDD 192 A/D SPDIF into 001 or 002
2. Top notch pre like the Great River MP2NV (depending on your usage)
3. Top notch microphone

I'm willing to bet though that with the same pre and mic the HEDD 192 will give you better sound than the HD will.

I've had session players that were blown away by the recordings I've done with this set up.

Allen