Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   .mp4 plays in quicktime but not protools? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=268714)

Nathan W. 03-06-2010 12:13 PM

.mp4 plays in quicktime but not protools?

I can import audio from the quicktime, but the video just looks black when I import it into protools. It plays fine in quicktime player...not sure what's happening here, any suggestions?:confused:

john1192 03-06-2010 12:47 PM

Re: .mp4 plays in quicktime but not protools?

nathan,

if you make a reference movie in QT in a different codec will that work ... i think PT cannot transcode the H.264 movie ... i have to boot into another operating system for pro tools from FCP .. i will give it a try here as well ...

cheers

john1192 03-06-2010 12:57 PM

i just imported an H.264 mp4 and it works in my system ... PT8.0.3cs1 leopard 10.5.8 harpertown 2.8 10gigs ram .. blah blah

Nathan W. 03-06-2010 01:48 PM

Alright, another bug in protools. Once I actually simply saved the movie file as a .mov instead of a .mp4 in quicktime then magically it worked. Video is really protools achilles heel in my opinion, esp. with protools 8. Running 8.0.3 here, hopefully avid fixes this bug. My buddy said it worked fine in his system? Weird.

Nathan W. 03-06-2010 04:28 PM

Yeah still having problems, converting to a different format (DVCProHD). Maybe smaller .h264 files work but movies over a certain length/size seem to pose problems.

john1192 03-07-2010 10:33 AM

is there anything else we can try for you ? might be the magnetic field on that side of the hollywood hills ... getting true north over here by the beach

:)

cheers

john

Old School Audio Guy 12-29-2012 05:14 PM

I am having the same problem MP4 and QT files both play in Quicktime and show up in the Track as images but will not play in the Video window. It just says Movie not available?
I have yet to find anyone who can help with constructive input just attitude
I even have the Avid guys stumped Yet another bug just like nudging audio clips with the MC control wheel I had to write my own button script to make it sort of work and this is a recognized bug by
Avid I thought these guys would be smater than Digidesign but apparently not
If you know of a solution let me know it worked last week then the Mayans put the jinks on me. I want even go into the list.

Craig F 12-29-2012 08:33 PM

Pro Tools will not play any video if it has symbols in any part of the name or path
and video editors love to put "/" in there file names but Pro Tools will not play the file

DHS 01-23-2013 02:23 PM

Anyone find a solution? I have 2 systems doing the same thing.
one on 10.6.8 with 10.0 PT one on 10.8.2 10.3.2PT.
Quicktime plays fine. PT is black screen with images on the time line.

EarHole 01-25-2013 09:18 PM

Protools doesn't like .m4v or .mp4 files. Sometimes just changing he extension to .mov works but I prefer to make the editor re export. I used to try and convert on my end to make it easy on everyone but when sync is involved I don't Like the idea of tricking my system into working when my reputation is in the line.