Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 9 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   White Noise on Playback! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=336388)

www 03-26-2013 05:57 PM

White Noise on Playback!

Odd one here. Imported an .omf into Pro Tools 9.0.2 on a Mac running 10.6.4. Waveforms look fine but when play is pressed all we hear is loud white noise out the output of the laptop. Other sessions playback fine however. The .omf even opens up and plays alright on a different Mac. (running 8.04 HD) We can pull a random audio file from a drive into a track into the PT 9 session and it will play OK. Just the audio from the .omf won't play. Even if a clip from the .omf is pulled onto the track that plays the random audio file alright, the clip will just output noise.

Checked the aggregate and it appears to be in order. The speaker icon is next to the "Built in output" however not in the aggregate's "Built in Output". Is this normal? I mean the microphone icon for input show up in the aggregate.

Ideas appreciated!
:(

crizdee 03-27-2013 05:16 AM

Re: White Noise on Playback!

Quote:

Originally Posted by www (Post 2020736)
Odd one here. Imported an .omf into Pro Tools 9.0.2 on a Mac running 10.6.4. Waveforms look fine but when play is pressed all we hear is loud white noise out the output of the laptop. Other sessions playback fine however. The .omf even opens up and plays alright on a different Mac. (running 8.04 HD) We can pull a random audio file from a drive into a track into the PT 9 session and it will play OK. Just the audio from the .omf won't play. Even if a clip from the .omf is pulled onto the track that plays the random audio file alright, the clip will just output noise.

Checked the aggregate and it appears to be in order. The speaker icon is next to the "Built in output" however not in the aggregate's "Built in Output". Is this normal? I mean the microphone icon for input show up in the aggregate.

Ideas appreciated!
:(

Hi,

Is the session at the same frequency and bit rate as the OMF file?

Are you using conversion when importing the OMF data?

This is what i would be checking! the frequency and bit rate.

Chris

www 03-27-2013 07:43 AM

Yes the .omf and the session are both 48k 24 bit.

One other detail I forgot to add. When I opened the session in PT 8.0.1 successfully, I then copied it to another drive and tried to open it on the laptop running PT 9 and got the same results as opening the .omf directly in PT. Noise! Strange!

Thanks for your help!

www 03-27-2013 04:51 PM

We may be on to a solution. So far "Consolidate Media on Import" seemed to be working and then it stopped. Still looking for an answer.

www 03-27-2013 10:40 PM

The problem was with the hard drive the .omf originally came to us on. Once transferred to another drive they opened up as expected.

Thanks for you suggestions though!