Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Problem with recording vocals in Pro Tools 8 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=238348)

Abdul Aziz 02-02-2009 08:50 PM

Problem with recording vocals in Pro Tools 8

Hello to all,
While recording vocals they were going to track slightly behind the music tracks, and were off with the music and beat-and then I started getting these error messages telling me to remove some plug-ins and/or increase the buffer size. Can someone tell me how to resolve this issue so that my vocals will go to track in time with the music tracks, and tell me what I need to do to stop getting the cpu/error messages as to buffer size and removing plug-ins. Thanks!

I'm running my Pro Tools LE Mbox2 w/Triton Extreme Workstation, all into my Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz Duo 2 Core, w/4GB's of SDRAM.

lcressy 02-02-2009 09:02 PM

Re: Problem with recording vocals in Pro Tools 8

When you use plugins, it adds latency because there is more information your cpu has to process, and that time is the time difference you are experiencing. I would suggest that when you track, you don't use any plugins, save those for when you mix - you really want to hear what is actually being recorded, not what the plugin is making you think you are recording. If you record dry, you can get your buffer down to 128k, and you should be fine.

Sven62 02-02-2009 09:41 PM

Hardware buffer setting is in SETUP > PLAYBACK ENGINE

Turn it down to 128 or so while you are recording (with no plugins or plugins disabled) and turn it back up to 512 or 1024 when you are mixing.

Paul David 02-02-2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcressy (Post 1346630)
When you use plugins, it adds latency because there is more information your cpu has to process, and that time is the time difference you are experiencing. I would suggest that when you track, you don't use any plugins, save those for when you mix - you really want to hear what is actually being recorded, not what the plugin is making you think you are recording. If you record dry, you can get your buffer down to 128k, and you should be fine.

Agreed, unfortunately the "Talent" doesn't see it that way all the time. And I can understand their gripe. As a guitarist I wouldn't want to record completely dry, it kills the vibe of what you're doing.

If you can use a latency of 64 and just 1 reverb or delay or something to get them in the right mood. Or use a Jedi mind trick and get them to record dry and then use your chops to show them how amazing it sounds when you run it through your FX as soon as they're done. They may choose to take one for the team and record dry.