Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Getting Started (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Technical difficulty (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=395067)

beauknowsdiddly 11-13-2017 11:45 PM

Technical difficulty

Hey Everyone!
I cannot minimize pro tools. Well I can but it's a bear to get it to maximize again. I'm spending a lot of time on tutorials and other learning stuff so quite often I need to minimize the program down to my taskbar to look at other stuff. Then I have to click on the Pro Tools icon in my task bar like a gazillion times to get it to come back up. Sometimes it won't even come back up at all and I have to right click it and "close window" and reopen the program. Which means I could lose any unsaved stuff. SAVE OFTEN! Got it lol. Any suggestions though?

QuikDraw 11-14-2017 02:14 AM

Re: Technical difficulty

I've never tried to minimize Pro Tools. But I often have several other programs open. In Windows 10 I use the virtual desktops feature. Hit Win + Tab to bring up the list of desktops. On the lower right of the screen you should see a + sign. Click the + to add another virtual desktop. Open your other programs in the new desktop. Now you can switch between the Pro Tools desktop and the other programs desktop with the Win + Tab key combination, no minimizing required.

Hope this helps.

beauknowsdiddly 11-14-2017 01:07 PM

Hey Thanks Mike!
So that's a great feature but it doesn't seem to work for me while Pro Tools First is full screen. It seems I can do it on any other screen. I just did it while typing this and it showed the windows I can choose from including pro tools. I also have a PDF file loaded I can choose. I can use that trick when I'm viewing either Internet explorer OR Adobe Acrobat. It just doesn't seem to work when viewing pro tools.

Things that make you go hmmm. :)

musicman691 11-15-2017 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikDraw (Post 2459448)
I've never tried to minimize Pro Tools. But I often have several other programs open. In Windows 10 I use the virtual desktops feature. Hit Win + Tab to bring up the list of desktops. On the lower right of the screen you should see a + sign. Click the + to add another virtual desktop. Open your other programs in the new desktop. Now you can switch between the Pro Tools desktop and the other programs desktop with the Win + Tab key combination, no minimizing required.

Hope this helps.

OSX has the same feature and it's called Spaces.

QuikDraw 11-15-2017 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beauknowsdiddly (Post 2459560)
Hey Thanks Mike!
So that's a great feature but it doesn't seem to work for me while Pro Tools First is full screen. It seems I can do it on any other screen. I just did it while typing this and it showed the windows I can choose from including pro tools. I also have a PDF file loaded I can choose. I can use that trick when I'm viewing either Internet explorer OR Adobe Acrobat. It just doesn't seem to work when viewing pro tools.

Things that make you go hmmm. :)

I couldn't understand this at first, but then I remembered I have the same issue. When you are in Pro Tools the Win + Tab hotkey does nothing. You first have to click on the Windows taskbar, and then hit Win + Tab. Then it will show the other desktops. I forgot all about this behavior because it's become automatic to me to click the task bar first. It's something I don't even think about so I forgot I was doing it.

beauknowsdiddly 11-15-2017 11:43 PM

Awesome! That does the trick! Thank you, thank you. Now I just have to remember, never, never minimize.

Thanks again Mike!! Big help!!