Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Pro tools and controllers (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=407049)

[email protected] 11-05-2019 08:38 AM

Pro tools and controllers

Can someone suggest a reasonably priced controller? I mean basic stuff like a couple knobs and a few levels. I have notation launchkey mini and I have no idea how to get those knobs to work at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

albee1952 11-05-2019 08:52 AM

Re: Pro tools and controllers

Define "reasonably priced":o I'd wait for the S1 to be available. AFAIK, none of the HUI devices work well(or at all) for controlling plugins:rolleyes:

[email protected] 11-05-2019 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2543667)
Define "reasonably priced":o I'd wait for the S1 to be available. AFAIK, none of the HUI devices work well(or at all) for controlling plugins:rolleyes:

Reasonable would be under $200. It’s my hobby so as much as I would love pro gear I have to be realistic ( that’s code for my wife would snip me if I spend too much money)

Ben Jenssen 11-05-2019 03:36 PM

I bought a used Command 8 last year for about $150. Ten year old technology but still works wonderfully on my little PT10 setup. No pre's, no converters, but 8 motorized faders, transport, even plugin control. It acually communicates with PT thru MIDI and doesn't even need a driver, so I don't see why it shouldn't work with any version of PT.

Southsidemusic 11-05-2019 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 2543670)
Reasonable would be under $200. It’s my hobby so as much as I would love pro gear I have to be realistic ( that’s code for my wife would snip me if I spend too much money)

Change that wife to a one that supports your hobby! Why are there soo many people saying stuff like that and then we all know that ”wife” will buy whatever shoes and bags she wants ... Stay Free - Stay Alive - Stay Buying what you want!

albee1952 11-07-2019 04:53 PM

Under $200 shrinks the list:
Used Command 8(usually costs more but Ben found a deal:D)
Behringer BCF2000 (under $200)
Original Presonus Faderport(under $100)(only one fader, but very useful)

A different style that MIGHT be able to control plugins is the Behringer BCR2000. AFAIK, nothing 3rd party is going to offer much control of plugins unless the plugin has a Midi-Learn feature. So far, the only plugins I have found that have this feature are VI(Virtual Instrument) plugins. Example, I was able to map controls on a VOCE Midi Drawbar unit to control things in the DB-33 organ plugin. Right click on any function in the plugin(drawbar, knob, switch)>select Midi Learn and adjust the control on the external box you want to assign.:o

EddieJones 11-08-2019 10:00 AM

I shouldn't say this but wait until S1 has been out a month and you might find an old Artist Mix for a reasonable price...It has many professional features you'll never find on any other Controller.