Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Pro Tools LE 7 Recording Vocals Problems.. Help!! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=212641)

dmt2828 12-28-2007 12:19 PM

Pro Tools LE 7 Recording Vocals Problems.. Help!!

Im trying to record some vocals into Pro Tools LE 7 using the Mbox 2 and my Focusrite Trakmaster Pro. I am using the Focusrite Trakmaster Pro for the pre amp. The way I have it connected is: the Line Out -10dbV output of the Focusrite Trakmaster Pro is plugged into the Line Input 1 of the Mbox 2. (Is this the correct way to connect it? The other output is +4dBu. Should it be connected to that one?) I cut on the 48V on the Mbox 2 and the 48V on the Focusrite Trakmaster Pro. My mic is plugged into the XLR on the Trakmaster Pro. My Pre Amp Level is about 3 on the Focusrite Trakmaster Pro. Now heres the problem. When I go to record vocals they record very low. I tryed using the Input 1 volume knob. When i do that i hear the room noise (air sounding) while I record. If I cut it down to where I cant here the noise then it records low. I was also told by someone not to use the volume knob on the Mbox because then it bypasses the Trakmaster Pro Pre Amp. Is this true?

What should I do or am doing wrong?

TheStudioGuy 12-28-2007 04:49 PM

Re: Pro Tools LE 7 Recording Vocals Problems.. Help!!

Sounds like your hookup is right, but you could use the +4 output. The Mbox should handle that fine.

3 sounds a little low at the preamp gain on the Trakmaster unless you have a really hot mic. You might try some more gain there. While you increase the preamp level check the meter and try to hit around -6 on the peaks. That should get you decent output and allow a little headroom for peaks.

I'm not sure where unity gain is on the Mbox, so I would start with the Input1 gain knob fully to the left, then increase the gain until the track level is where you want it to be. Be sure to check the Input1 peak LED as you adjust this.

Using the gain knob on the Mbox doesn't "bypass" the Trakmaster. It's just another gain stage which needs to be adjusted. Ideally, the signal needs to be optimized at the Trakmaster first before any adjustment to the Mbox. Too low an output from the Trakmaster will require more gain(adding more noise) at the Mbox.

Although it won't hurt anything, you don't need the phantom(+48V) on the Mbox. Since your mic is hooked up to the Trakmaster, it supplies the phantom power.

Good luck . . .

dmt2828 12-28-2007 05:12 PM

ok thanks for the reply. Is there any way to eliminate the noise I hear during recording if im using just the Mbox 2? When im recording I hear "air noise" or "room noise" from the mic. (Just wondering if I really need the Focusrite Trakmaster Pro.)I am going to try what you said though right now to see if it works with the Trakmaster Pro and Mbox 2. I will reply again if its still a problem. Thanks again.

dmt2828 12-28-2007 06:18 PM

When I record the volume meter in pro tools is showing activity even though im quite and the mic is not recording. It does this when Im recording vocals, which leaves noise or a room sound, like air or something. It may be becauese the mic is hot and picking up too much? Is this a problem I would solve by getting a better mic? (Im currently using a MXL 990 Condensor Mic.) Also on my Pre Amp it has a input, output, compressor switch which is next to a peak meter which reads -27 or 26dbFS. Should I have it set to output while Im recording? How do get rid of the room noise or air sound or whatever it is?

Thanks

TheStudioGuy 12-29-2007 11:12 AM

If you are quiet and PT is metering signal, that would have to be ambient noise in the room plus any noise inherent in the mic & preamp.

What's your room like? Could be HVAC, or maybe your computer, etc. Can you isolate the computer from the mic? Also, the closer you are to the mic, the less gain will be required, and background noise will be diminished. Just be aware that the closer you are, you will need to deal with proximity effect bass boost, sibilance, etc.

Also, until you have a hot clean signal going to PT, make sure the compressor is bypassed. If you have any significant gain reduction and make up going on, you will bring up low level noise.

The meter switching just gives you access to check the signal at several points in the chain. Where it's set doesn't affect level or noise. Input will show you the signal level at that stage. Output will show what you have coming out of the unit after all signal processing. . .

dmt2828 12-29-2007 12:45 PM

Im in a second bedroom with my workstation 2' from the wall with acoustic foam behind the monitors. My mic is in the corner of the room with acoustic foam surrounding it on the wall in the corner. I dont know what I would do to isolate the computer from the mic.

I have all compression bypassed and am just using the Pre-Amp. So If I place myself closer to the mic this will reduce some of the ambient noise the mic is picking up? Will I later just need to add compression and limiting to get rid of the rest?