Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid S4/S6 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Cleaning S6 Surface (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=374628)

EddieJones 11-23-2015 01:11 PM

Cleaning S6 Surface

1 Attachment(s)
This Plexi Clean seams to do a great job of cleaning the S6 surface including the screens. It cuts down on finger prints too. Obviously be careful in its application, turn the system off, use a soft bristle brush first to dust off the surface, then spray this onto soft cloth and polish off.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ribbon-Pl...ds=plexi+clean

Postman 11-24-2015 07:53 AM

Re: Cleaning S6 Surface

Thanks for the suggestion! I want to try it to see if it works as well as what I've been using, which is more expensive. Novus #1 Plastic Clean and Shine takes away fingerprints and leaves an anti-static surface. Works nicely on the screens also. Novus #1 is not abrasive.

Novus also makes plastic scratch removers #2 (fine) and #3 (coarse) which MIGHT come in handy in the future. I have used all three products on antique plastic, cataline, bakelite, etc. Use #3 for deep scratches followed by 2 for surface scratches. #2 leaves a high shine, followed by #1 to finish and preserve.

For S6 textured sides and back I've been very satisfied with Bona laminate floor cleaner. The textured plastic traps all sorts of particles when rubbed with anything. Once Bona cleaned and dry, a vacume will remove those particles.

EddieJones 11-24-2015 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postman (Post 2313882)
Novus also makes plastic scratch removers #2 (fine) and #3 (coarse) which MIGHT come in handy in the future. I have used all three products on antique plastic, cataline, bakelite, etc. Use #3 for deep scratches followed by 2 for surface scratches. #2 leaves a high shine, followed by #1 to finish and preserve.

Be careful with these, the top surface has a hardened layer on the top and this may remove that and make things worse.

Postman 11-24-2015 09:21 AM

Ah, wow, that's interesting and good to know. Ignore than I said anything about #2 and #3!

lucienpalmer 11-24-2015 08:35 PM

Thanks, Eddie. That's a really helpful post. I've been too nervous to use anything on fingerprints other than a cleaning cloth for eyeglasses.

On a related note, a Swiffer Duster works wonders for daily dusting. It's like a magnet. Easy to run between the knobs and faders.

Drew Mazurek 11-25-2015 03:39 AM

It's funny, with ICONs Avid went from silver to black. I wonder if the S6MKIIs will be silver!/!?!? :D

tamasdragon 05-19-2016 02:00 AM

For us the best solution so far is Clin, which is a window-glass-general purpose cleaner with some alcohol in it (we don not drink it thoug...). It removes all the fingerprints and keeps the S6 clean. Spray it on a micro-fibre cloth, never onto the surface.

lucienpalmer 05-19-2016 01:13 PM

I'm glad someone updated this thread. I forgot about it.

I just ordered some Plexi-Clean from Amazon. I usually don't have too many problems with finger prints, but the dust kills me. This stuff is supposed to be anti-static and dust repelling.

laki 11-01-2017 01:07 PM

Looks like Plexi Clean is not available in Australia and Amazon won’t ship it here. However, I can get the Novus 1. Is it safe to use?

Postman, are you still using it?

DHS 12-12-2019 02:19 PM

I use this stuff on my carbon fiber and plastics and my very expensive face shields which are plexi-glass and decided to spray a little on a polish cloth to clean a very dirty s6 surface. It made it look brand new again. Very little goes a long way.

Polish