Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   RME fireface-how can i use PT? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=227293)

damo701 08-27-2008 08:15 PM

RME fireface-how can i use PT?

ive recently upgraded from an mbox to an RME fireface, but cannot use PT because its not digidesign. ive been using logic for now but need to get back into PT.

someone mentioned to me that i could buy an m-audio profire and connected the fireface via optical, and then i could run m-powered PT, or a 002 would do the same thing.

im trying to find out if there are any other options out there to get me back on PT?

or...are these 2 options the best?

my setup: macbook pro 2.4ghz, 4gig ram, RME fireface 800.

thanks

tridev 08-27-2008 10:06 PM

Re: RME fireface-how can i use PT?

Newbie but I did somewhat similar research when I took the PT plunge:

1) For PT-only, you are restricted to Digi interfaces/control surfaces. You would run PT LE or PT HD. I did not google around to see if Digi interfaces had been successfully used with other DAWs (Sonar, Logic, Cubase etc.)

2) For flexibility, use an M-Audio interface/control surface. You would run PT M-powered but would have the option of interfacing with non-PT DAWs as well that are supported by that M-Audio driver-interface combo.

I went for #2 as you can see from my signature but have a hunch going with a Digi interface is a smoother experience overall.

Premo 08-27-2008 10:59 PM

The Fireface is pretty sick. I use to use it with Pro Tools M-Powered via ADAT optical giving you 8 Channels up to 48K (which most people don't record higher than 48K anyways) and then you get the conversion of the Fireface instead of Digi's, which some people think is better than any of the LE interfaces. Probably def better than the Mbox family converters.

And you could go back out ADAT or SPDIF back into the Fireface and hook up your Reference monitors there and use the Fireface DA convertion for playback too. The RME software mixer is pretty flexible too if you ever need to hook up other devices into the Fireface it's easy.

Lightbridge would work fine for this, but so would the 002, 003 and just about any M Audio device that has ADAT in/out on it. FW1814 would work too.

Sounds like you got good advice. But of course, you don't have to use the Fireface at all once you have a Digi interface. You could sell it and get a 003 and call it a day if you're only going to use Pro Tools from now on.

damo701 08-27-2008 11:27 PM

the fireface is killer, no way im selling it.

i simply want to use protools because i like it more for recording audio, and its very quick and easy when i record live stuff. as for midi i think logic is better.

im still learning logic which is annoying...but id like to use both as they both have features that are wicked.

in an ideal world digidesign would allow you to use protools on any interface..haha

JrummerJ 08-28-2008 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damo701 (Post 1277397)
the fireface is killer, no way im selling it.

i simply want to use protools because i like it more for recording audio, and its very quick and easy when i record live stuff. as for midi i think logic is better.

Well, the firewire 1814 is probably your lowest entry point into M-Powered hardware that has ADAT. Does the RME run standalone, or do you have to have both interfaces connected via fw?

J

Premo 08-28-2008 06:48 PM

I recently learned you can use the IAC Bus on the Mac to sent Midi between apps, allowing you to have Pro Tools and Logic open at the same time and you can send MTC and MMC commands from PT to Logic. Basically slaving Logic and using the Virtual instruments in Logic but recording it all back into pro tools if you have 2 interfaces. There are definitely perks ad flexibility to having 2 interfaces.

damo701 08-29-2008 11:10 PM

but i would still need to buy an m-audio interface with ADAT right?

guitar_junkie 10-25-2008 12:06 PM

If you are an LE user and want to get more tracks into protools you have to go with a digi 002 or 003 Rack or desktop is no matter. I have been through exactly what you are just figuring out now. If I was you I would buy an 003R off ebay for about 700 to 1000 bucks. That way you have an interface that already has 4 pres and 4 line ins with 8 channels of ADAT and two channels of SPDIF possible. The 003 also has upgraded converter and preamp architecture from the 002 systems. Plus the 003R has a dedicated WC input for locking all your digi devices to one clock without using your SPDIF input for WC which is what I am forced to do on my 002R. Then when you pick up an 8 ch preamp with ADAT outs youve got yourself a total of up to 14 preamps with phantom power and another 4 line inputs for a total of 18 tracks recording at once. I personally front end my DIGI 002 with the RME Fireface800 because I think its got the best converters for the money by far. Better than the focusrite 428 which I have also used with the A-D card, Ive also tried the motu 896, and the focusrite saffire as an ADAT front end for protools set up. RME fireface is hands down best conversion out there for the money. I would compare it to an apogee or mytek any day.

mradlauer1 10-26-2008 01:02 AM

I have the Profire and a Focusrite 26 I/O running via ADAT...really solid setup! T

The Profire allows for use with multiple DAW apps as opposed to the Digi equipment where you are limited to PTLE, or trying to futz with drivers to get it working with another DAW.

You'll get 8 decent pre's with the Profire and 2 sets of ADAT ports for expansion, with sample rates up to 192khz! Also allows for external clock source and I'm really diggin the internal DSP mixer for routing capabilites....