Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | S3 (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Can I replace faders myself? (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405882)

J-S-Q 08-07-2019 12:15 PM

Can I replace faders myself?

I see replacement faders available online but how difficult is it to install them. Specifically, does it involve intricate soldering on a PCB?

mattrixx 08-07-2019 04:53 PM

Re: Can I replace faders myself?

Don't quote me on this, however, I did read sometime back that they were relatively easy to swap out. (by removing the bottom panel, they are quite accessible).

BScout 08-07-2019 07:37 PM

Pretty clearly a multi-header connector to unplug/replug.
https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/503...otorized-fader

Jamie Mac 08-08-2019 04:15 AM

It's very easy to replace or clean the faders yourself. Just open the back with a screwdriver and pop out the faders.

Be sure to first try and clean them. As sometimes it's just dirt stuck on the track that is the culprit. You would be surprised how much dust and dirt falls in there.

reichman 08-08-2019 08:34 AM

+1 easy to replace faders on an S3. Gives me confidence that I'll be able to maintain my S3 without having to send it back to the mothership.

J-S-Q 08-10-2019 05:55 AM

Great. Thanks all for the replies.

Southsidemusic 08-10-2019 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie Mac (Post 2534902)
It's very easy to replace or clean the faders yourself. Just open the back with a screwdriver and pop out the faders.

Be sure to first try and clean them. As sometimes it's just dirt stuck on the track that is the culprit. You would be surprised how much dust and dirt falls in there.

+1

We had thought we had to swap over half of the ES32 D-Control Faders but we followed a youtube video and sfter a good clean out of ALL faders and the tracks they run on ALL faders were 100% again so not a cent was spent, only a few hours of meticulous cleaning and dust sucking with a small USB vacuum cleaner on a long thin telescope arm :-)

4 hours later and a LOT of those cotton thingies people use to clean the ears inside with and those packages was like 2 USD a box so 250-ish ”tops” used and we spent less than 5 bucks on that whole fix !!

J-S-Q 08-11-2019 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2535119)
+1

We had thought we had to swap over half of the ES32 D-Control Faders but we followed a youtube video and sfter a good clean out of ALL faders and the tracks they run on ALL faders were 100% again so not a cent was spent, only a few hours of meticulous cleaning and dust sucking with a small USB vacuum cleaner on a long thin telescope arm :-)

4 hours later and a LOT of those cotton thingies people use to clean the ears inside with and those packages was like 2 USD a box so 250-ish ”tops” used and we spent less than 5 bucks on that whole fix !!

I don't suppose you would happen to recall the Youtube video?

Southsidemusic 08-11-2019 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-S-Q (Post 2535205)
I don't suppose you would happen to recall the Youtube video?

I will ask the techie guys who interned here last year before we sold the ES32 and I am sure one of my brothers knows where it is so I’ll be baaaaak ;)

J-S-Q 08-11-2019 06:13 PM

Actually no need to find that video. I spent some time cleaning the problem faders and in fact they all now work perfectly which is great! Very easy indeed to remove them and reinstall. One of them took several rounds of cleaning/reinstallation before I finally removed all the dust but very happy that this has cost me zero!

Thanks. :)