Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Virtual Instruments (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Free Virtual Drums or Best V-Drums w/ Trial Period (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=383627)

adam79 08-24-2016 04:04 PM

Free Virtual Drums or Best V-Drums w/ Trial Period

I really enjoy the musical typing feature in Garageband that allows you to play the virtual drums offered with the computer keyboard. It is especially helpful since i dont or nor can afford an actual keyboard. Is there something similar to this for PT, with a "musical typing" option? It's a real pain in the ass having to switch between PT and GB to add a drum track...not to mention it mucking up the mix. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Seafoam_Green 08-24-2016 07:09 PM

Re: Free Virtual Drums or Best V-Drums w/ Trial Period

it's like this .., you get what you pay for ;)
In saying that , I don't know of ANY decent sample based instrument libraries that offer free trials , so therefore I recommend you just lash out and get yourself (ie; buy) ; toontrack EZDrummer2

deanrichard 08-24-2016 08:27 PM

There is a free drum VSTi named MT-PowerDrum that's pretty good. Do you have a VST to AAX loader? I use it on PC in a VST host, but it should work fine in PT with a loader.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam79 (Post 2377251)
I really enjoy the musical typing feature in Garageband that allows you to play the virtual drums offered with the computer keyboard. It is especially helpful since i dont or nor can afford an actual keyboard. Is there something similar to this for PT, with a "musical typing" option? It's a real pain in the ass having to switch between PT and GB to add a drum track...not to mention it mucking up the mix. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Southsidemusic 08-24-2016 10:10 PM

Adam is asking for a virtual keyboard, not a drumsampler as far as I understood or a free VI with virtual keyboard. Does the MT have this?

adam79 08-25-2016 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2377280)
Adam is asking for a virtual keyboard, not a drumsampler as far as I understood or a free VI with virtual keyboard. Does the MT have this?

Correct. in reposonse to the previous posts i'd love to buy a real keyboard and buy a pay plugin but i'm broke. I have a a free virtual drum machine; it a GUI that looks.like a keyboard...I think it's called VMK (or something close to that). I think it acts similar to Garageband's musical typing, but I haven't had the chance to play around with it enough. I'm not familair with VST/AAX loaders; iM running PT 12. The VI drum program doesnt have to be that complex, just enough to get the point across of a drum track/beat...i'm just making some demos. Thanks

Carl Kolchak 08-25-2016 09:41 AM

Pro Tools used to come with a "lite" (i.e. limited to 8 tracks) version of Ableton Live, which still seems to be supported, and updated.

I'm not sure if it's still free, but have a look on the Ableton website (they may just have a 30 day demo, which wouldn't help you).

Anyway, you can use the computer's Alpha keyboard to play keyboards / drums etc in Ableton Live, which you could use for your drum tracks, and then "ReWire" Ableton Live into Pro Tools.

deanrichard 08-25-2016 01:34 PM

No. The subject of the thread is about best free V-drums, I assumed that would be what he was asking about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2377280)

musicman691 08-25-2016 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deanrichard (Post 2377404)
No. The subject of the thread is about best free V-drums, I assumed that would be what he was asking about.

The OP is actually asking for both a virtual keyboard AND a free drum program. I'll admit the way the post was phrased it's confusing.