Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   New PT Prefs helper (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=340741)

groundcontrol 01-14-2016 10:55 AM

Re: New PT Prefs helper

It is a really useful tool for me since I'm taking care of a few different systems. Thanks a lot!

djani 01-14-2016 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Gates (Post 2327996)
Already does, in more detail too. Deletes Preferences, Pro Tools plist and AAE preferences as three separate/selectable sections.

Pete

Ah great, I thought it only "deals" with plist file. Thanks!

dansoundmix 03-07-2016 07:16 AM

Thanks Pete for the great App. I was wondering if you might be able to help me. I've created a backup of Prefs for PT 11 (only the PT11+ column). After doing so , when I relaunched Pro Tools and loaded my last session I was working on, all my preferencess were wiped. Of course, I tried to "restore" them only to get the same result. Very well could be Operator Error, but I this happened to me once before a few months ago, although I didn't realize at the time that doing the backup is what caused my preferences to disappear.

Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

-Dan

Pete Gates 03-07-2016 08:25 AM

Hi Dan,
Walk me through what you did/what happened, step by step.

Pete

dansoundmix 03-07-2016 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Gates (Post 2340458)
Hi Dan,
Walk me through what you did/what happened, step by step.

Pete

Hi pete,

If I remember correctly
1) I launched PT Prefs v1.6.11 (since updated to 1.6.12)
2) Clicked on Backup/ restore
3) Checked all the PT 11+ options and Deselected the Pre 11
4) then hit Backup

Everything seemed to copy just fine. It wasnt until the next day when I relaunched PT 11.3.1 and loaded the session I had been working on up, and noticed all system preferences were factory default.

I was able to go back to the clone of my boot disk and copy the old plist file which seemed to bring back my prefs.

Anyway I tried to recreate it with version 1.6.12 and it seemed to work as expected without me losing my preferences. Not sure what I could have done, but I know it happened once before to me about a month ago. After backing up the same options mentioned earlier on a friday night, come Monday morning I discovered that my Preferences were gone. The I didn't put two and two together. This time however, there was no weekend in between to confuse me.

Thanks for your time.

Dan

Pete Gates 03-09-2016 12:35 AM

Hi again Dan,
Hmmm, ok, I'll have a look and see if anything modifies any of the files that are copied. Shouldn't but... One thing, was Pro Tools closed when you did the backup? Pro Tools doesn't flush changes to disk in some of the files until it's closed down. This could cause the backup to have backed up 'old' or default settings - this isn't quite what you're seeing I know but I thought I'd make the point in this thread.

Pete

polyh3dron 04-27-2016 08:25 AM

Someone had the bright idea of changing the name of the boot drive on our systems, and now PT Prefs crashes on launch for me, since it can't find the folders I've set for it to use. Where can I find the PT Prefs config file so I can trash it and start fresh? I already tried deleting and redownloading the program and that didn't do the trick.

Pete Gates 04-27-2016 10:58 AM

Hi,
There's a reset prefs button to reset the prefs for the prefs resetter app!

Shouldn't crash though, are you getting any messages when that happens?

Pete

polyh3dron 04-27-2016 03:24 PM

Hi Pete, I get this error message immediately upon loading PT Prefs:

http://i.imgur.com/AGEjRVd.png

And it then proceeds to quit. I never get an opportunity to reset said prefs from within the app. This is why I would like to know where the config file for PT Prefs lives, so I can delete it manually.

Pete Gates 04-28-2016 01:04 AM

Hmmm,
Intriguing. I'll have a look. But to hopefully get you back up and running first, go to the Backup/Restore page and click "Reset PT Prefs database" and tell me how it goes after that.

Thanks,
Pete