Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid S4/S6 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Turning Off MMM Display Mode (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=394565)

rus5 10-22-2017 02:20 PM

Turning Off MMM Display Mode

Hello, I just updated my S6 with V3.7 and tried the new MMM feature. It might be helpful sometimes but I certainly don't want to dedicate one of my display modules to that type of display. Once configured the "Surface" settings, does anyone know if there a way to toggle it on and off (switch between my normal display and the MMM version on a particular display module)? Thanks.

creativecontrol 10-23-2017 07:27 AM

Re: Turning Off MMM Display Mode

Greetings,

It is currently not possible to dynamically enable and disable a MMM. You need to return back to the Surface page and clear the assigned MMM if you want to remove it and revert back to the standard display module behavior.

best,

Jeff

rus5 10-23-2017 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creativecontrol (Post 2455474)
Greetings,

It is currently not possible to dynamically enable and disable a MMM. You need to return back to the Surface page and clear the assigned MMM if you want to remove it and revert back to the standard display module behavior.

best,

Jeff

Thanks Jeff - is there any chance adding that is in a quick turnaround release plan? We've only been getting very small updates (that have meaningful improvements) about once a year for the last couple of years.

bucha 10-24-2017 03:41 AM

Hi Jeff,

What ?!! Seriously ?

No "Suspend/Enable" Soft Keys for the MMM ?

creativecontrol 10-24-2017 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rus5 (Post 2455596)
Thanks Jeff - is there any chance adding that is in a quick turnaround release plan? We've only been getting very small updates (that have meaningful improvements) about once a year for the last couple of years.

Sorry - but I have to call you on this one. There have been more significant updates in a shorter period of time than any other control surface. Please take a look at this document:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pi78kregst...story.pdf?dl=0

Regarding the implementation of the Master Meter Module - I will defer to Eddie on what can and can not be done.

Jeff

EddieJones 10-24-2017 10:06 AM

The Master Meters are intended (like most other consoles) to be a permanent display of the Master Meters(or any meter you need to see all the time) If you have to switch to see them then that defeats the object (you could just as well switch to a Layout and back with those tracks in) We have made it so that you can add up to 2 extra screens either in the console or outside for these so as to not disturb the normal tracks.

rus5 10-24-2017 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creativecontrol (Post 2455683)
Sorry - but I have to call you on this one. There have been more significant updates in a shorter period of time than any other control surface. Please take a look at this document:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pi78kregst...story.pdf?dl=0

Regarding the implementation of the Master Meter Module - I will defer to Eddie on what can and can not be done.

Jeff

Thanks for the response Jeff but I'm afraid I'm going to have to call YOU on this one. The link you cite actually makes my case, especially if one owns an S6 and is aware of what is MISSING from those lists. I've owned this product since V1.2, several years ago. It STILL has an entire section on it that doesn't even function - the "Assignable Knob" section - which is still totally dark (w/ Pro Tools, the DAW it's primarily designed to work with). I've paid my support contract (or upgraded) every year since. Like most users, I don't work in ATMOS, I don't own or need a post module or a joy stick module and most of the s/w updates in the last two years have mostly provided support and features for those. The one-step jump from V2.2 to V3.5 didn't provide essentially anything. This last update provided one significant feature that is useless for me (and probably most users) since I only have two display modules, because it can't be toggled on and off. Read Eddie's response below yours - he basically states this same thing himself pretty bluntly. There were no other significant features after almost a year of waiting (and paying). Even the "over" indicators in the meters on my display modules and master module only occasionally (and randomly) work if at all. I'm sorry, but for probably most users there have been few significant features provided in the last two or so years of s/w updates. I'm not guessing you understand, I have owned and used an S6 since V1.2. It is what it is.

rus5 10-24-2017 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieJones (Post 2455753)
The Master Meters are intended (like most other consoles) to be a permanent display of the Master Meters(or any meter you need to see all the time) If you have to switch to see them then that defeats the object (you could just as well switch to a Layout and back with those tracks in) We have made it so that you can add up to 2 extra screens either in the console or outside for these so as to not disturb the normal tracks.

Thanks for the response Eddie. Obviously nobody is going to pay the very large cost of adding two extra display modules just to use this feature. I'm sure not in any case. So, once again, another long awaited software update with essentially no useful features for a large group of customers while plugins still can't be loaded, basic overage indicators don't work, graphs don't even have scales and an entire section of the board is still dark. I'm sorry but I'm not being "difficult" for complaining about this. I've spent a FORTUNE on the S6.

But I do thank you for responding. There was a time when it was almost unheard of to hear from Avid directly on the DUC and you and Jeff certainly have been responsive which is very much appreciated.

creativecontrol 10-24-2017 09:59 PM

Thanks for the feedback rus5. I'm sorry you are not happy with the progress that has been made on S6 over the past few years but I do believe there has been some fantastic features implemented. It is certainly not just support for Atmos, the Joystick and Master Post Modules. Here's a few features that I believe are huge for workflow:

Expand Faders
Attention Zones that can be toggled at will
Nested VCA Masters - Spill and Unspill
Stereo Pan Linking & 2-Knob Panning
Channelstrip and MTM Locking
Auto-Expand and Expand by function

Yes, Eddie and I are here on the DUC because we care and want to help users to get the most out of the S6. I agree that the Assignable Knob needs to be implemented within Pro Tools as it currently only functions in Logic and Steinberg DAW's. We do actually appreciate your feedback so please send us the specifics on the roadblocks that you are encountering with graphs, plug-ins and meter overs and we will work with 3rd parties to get them resolved. My Avid email is
[email protected] .

best,

Jeff

rus5 10-24-2017 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creativecontrol (Post 2455922)
Thanks for the feedback rus5. I'm sorry you are not happy with the progress that has been made on S6 over the past few years but I do believe there has been some fantastic features implemented. It is certainly not just support for Atmos, the Joystick and Master Post Modules. Here's a few features that I believe are huge for workflow:

Expand Faders
Attention Zones that can be toggled at will
Nested VCA Masters - Spill and Unspill
Stereo Pan Linking & 2-Knob Panning
Channelstrip and MTM Locking
Auto-Expand and Expand by function

Yes, Eddie and I are here on the DUC because we care and want to help users to get the most out of the S6. I agree that the Assignable Knob needs to be implemented within Pro Tools as it currently only functions in Logic and Steinberg DAW's. We do actually appreciate your feedback so please send us the specifics on the roadblocks that you are encountering with graphs, plug-ins and meter overs and we will work with 3rd parties to get them resolved. My Avid email is
[email protected] .

best,

Jeff

Hi Jeff, again, thanks for responding (and late at night no less - I didn't expect that). I've met you, and interacted with Eddie several times and I get that you guys do care and are trying to help. Thank you for your direct contact info but for these things I think other users and potential buyers need to hear this very different user's perspective than Avid's. To be clear, these issues have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with third parties. This is all Avid. I agree that at least most of the things you listed ARE useful additions. But given the amount of time (and the cost of the product), the list is pretty small (and some would say includes features that should have been in place at product launch at this price point). And there is no question that the list of things that are seriously needed is very large and Avid seems to have turned the rate of core fixes and improvements very far down - perhaps limited by funds?

I am definitely not saying the S6, even as it is, is useless or isn't good. But it is FAR less than something this expensive should be. I feel that users were essentially misled in the beginning (when the early new S6's we had just bought could hardly do anything) that a vast effort was underway to get the S6 where it should be. It's been YEARS now and a lot of the energy has been expended addressing only Avid's very highest end customers (who have really big $150,000 setups where they can afford money and room for dedicated knob and display modules, post modules and fader modules). But most of us aren't in that category and basic things still aren't being addressed. I and MANY others have commented on many of them on this forum over the years, and still - well nearly another year and essentially nothing on them.

Feedback from users like me (M40-16-5D) and even smaller systems needs to be provided too even if the truth is we're not big enough shots to pull any weight. Yet what I've spent for a 16 fader control surface is ASTRONOMICAL and I was expecting, well "Astronomical" based on Avid's promises. Between the nearly nonexistent resale value of my original S6 M10-8-5 to upgrade to my current system, it's cost me approaching $80K. Given that the s/w updates addressing core issues have essentially halted, I'm feeling basically screwed.

But again, you and Eddie are the face of Avid/S6 to guys like me, not responsible for it, and I really don't mean to shoot the messenger. I know you guys would do everything your customer's ask if it was up to you. Still, after waiting so long for a significant core feature update and getting this instead, somebody needs to be saying this out loud.