Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   ADAT inputs fail on HDX SYSTEM (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=323703)

matrixed99 06-06-2012 03:18 PM

ADAT inputs fail on HDX SYSTEM

I have an otherwise perfectly working HD i/o interface which cannot playback ADAT format digital audio through any of the 3 ADAT inputs. The most important fact to establish is that the same ADAT audio plays back flawlessly when connected to the 3 ADAT INPUTS of a 192 i/o connected to the same system. Second in importance is the fact that the HD i/o's ADAT inputs don't work when the HD i/o is the only interface connected to the HDX card.
Has anyone else experienced this problem, or been able to get a similar configuration working?

I went through a lengthy, multi-day, multi-hour tech support project with Avid about this. They were patient and helpful. The standard troubleshooting methods were exhaustively employed, but we still couldn't get the HD i/o ADAT inputs to work. All that was established was that they didn't work, and that port to port ADAT loopback tests worked properly. They finally sent me a brand new unit, but it still didn't work.

My system is an approved Mac Pro 12 core with 6 gigs of memory. During this process, I have run Protools 10 - 10.2, all with no success, and no change in the results (hd i/o ADAT fails, 192 ADAT works.) The source of my ADAT audio is two Frontier Dakota DACs, and a MOTU 2048 mkIII, installed in two PCs and a G5, respectively. The whole system is run on a Master word clock with a distribution box (Aardvark). All three computers with non-DIGI DACs run VIs. I have connected the 192 to the HD i/o and the 2nd port on the HDX card, as well as only connecting the HD i/o. Each interface has an additional digital card, hence the three ADAT inputs.

Bottom line, no ADAT input on HD i/o, perfect on 192. Anyone have any idea what's happening here?

Thanks

BigMeany 06-08-2012 08:31 AM

Re: ADAT inputs fail on HDX SYSTEM

I tell ya what, I'll give you the weekend to generate some responses and if by monday morning no one gives you an answer I will light pipe my alesis AI3 to my HD IO and see whats up.

Then you will at least have a point of reference as to wether or not this is just your problem or all HD IO owners problem.

All you mentioned was the ADAT input, are your ADAT outputs working?

francois 06-08-2012 09:41 AM

do you have Adat input/output selected in your hardware setup in protools preferences?

BigMeany 06-08-2012 09:58 AM

There is no ADAT IO selection in Pro Tools HD prefrences.

In the hardware setup window you have the Digital Format options.

AES/EBU
S/PDIF
Optical (S/PDIF)

Is this what your referring to? Mine is currently set to AES/EBU and enabled on output 1/2. Digital [encl] (AES/EBU, S/PDIF) i use AES a lot so thats why its set like that, I have never used ADAT light pipe with this interface so I am interested in trying it out and seeing how it works.

Emcha_audio 06-08-2012 10:02 AM

optical (s/pdif) is adat.

Spdf (rca input) only carrys 2 channels, while optical (s/pdif) carries 8 channels. Now why on earth didn't they just call it adat.. could be trademark issues that hey didn't want to get into.

BigMeany 06-08-2012 10:39 AM

ADAT optical, Its all the same. I think the industry has called it optical forever because of the cable itself. I believe ADAT is just a reference to that particular protocol, while optical is a reference to the actual makeup of the cable. I personally still call it light pipe.

I knew what optical meant and if you view the optical I/O it does say ADAT there. If you click on the inputs or outputs the drop down menu appears and says: Optical (ADAT) [Encl]

Fancois just phrased his question weird because hardware setup is not in PT preferences, and I thought he was OP talking to me hahaha. Shows how much attention I'm paying. He was talking to the OP about his hardware setup.

Drew Mazurek 06-08-2012 11:17 AM

Protocol and cable. Two different things.

The cable is a TOSLink. Is in Toshiba Link. It's used to carry 2 channel s/pdif and 8 channel ADAT (aka Lightpipe), the protocols.

carry on.

matrixed99 06-12-2012 11:44 AM

I don't usually use the ADAT outputs, but I tested them, and they also don't work on the HD i/o

In my Hardware setup window, I have Digital 1-8 and Digital 9-16 tabs which allow me to select ADAT as the digital input.
On the Main tab in the hardware setup window, I can select Optical 1-2 (ADAT) (ENCL), ADAT 1- - 8, or ADAT 9 - 16. This corresponds to the Optical, ADAT, and 2nd ADAT ports.

I have used these for years with the 192 i/o to route my external VIs into Protools. It is only on the HD i/o that I, and Digi tech support are not able to get them to work on my system. 192 still works like a charm.

matrixed99 06-13-2012 08:02 AM

No, I'm only using 44.1 and 48k sessions.

Craig F 06-13-2012 10:40 AM

routing:
out to in
not in to in

just checking the simple things that happen