Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Eleven Rack Re-amp using interface without S/PDIF (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=395078)

pokethebearband 11-14-2017 07:41 AM

Eleven Rack Re-amp using interface without S/PDIF

Hey all:

First post on this platform. I checked other threads and couldn't come up with an answer.

I am using a Steinberg UR44 interface of which I have recorded dry tracks through. Now, I would like to use my Eleven Rack to Reamp my existing signal without setting the 11R as my main interface.

My understanding is that I connect my 5/6 outputs on my interface, to the line L/R inputs on the 11R. Then I route my balanced outputs L/R to my 5/6 inputs on my interface.

My output on my dry track is then set to the L on the 11R editor since I am recording a mono signal, and then the input on my newly recorded track set to the 5 input (or anything available) on my interface.

I have that same setup in my I/O settings within pro tools.

Then I arm the track and hit play, and VOILA - NOTHING lol.

Any ideas where I am going wrong guys?

Thanks a lot

PTB

junkgear 11-14-2017 08:11 AM

Re: Eleven Rack Re-amp using interface without S/PDIF

Since you are using the UR44 as your interface, all your routing in the DAW will be to/from the UR.

From what you have explained, connect outputs 5/6 from the UR to the 11R line inputs. You will have to go into the 11R input settings and select the Line Inputs as your input source.
Now run the main outs of the 11R to inputs 5/6 of the UR.

On the track with the dry signal, the output should be set to UR - output 5.
Now on the track you are recording the processed guitar signal, you will set the input to UR - input 5.

This should play the dry track through output 5 into the 11R, where it will be processed, then out the 11R back into the UR for recording.

pokethebearband 11-14-2017 09:51 AM

Junkgear, thank you so much. I'll give this a shot when I get home from work, and let you know how it goes.

Quick additional question: If I'm running a mono signal is it necessary to connect both outputs and inputs? This was suggested by Avid, but makes no sense for recording guitar to me.

Thanks again

junkgear 11-14-2017 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokethebearband (Post 2459514)
Quick additional question: If I'm running a mono signal is it necessary to connect both outputs and inputs? This was suggested by Avid, but makes no sense for recording guitar to me.

Agreed; I don't see why you would need both output/input pairs. Typically when using a stereo input as mono, you would use the left input/output. Give that a shot and let us know how it goes.

One other thing... the main outputs of the 11R are line level, so make sure the input your have the 11R connected to is set for line level signals. I would turn down the input level on the UR and start playing your dry track. Then turn the input level up slowly until you get the proper recording level.

pokethebearband 11-14-2017 11:55 AM

Hi again,

To be very clear the main outputs on the 11R are XLR connections. Would it be preferred to connect via XLR to TRS, or is XLR to XLR okay as well?

The reason I ask, Is I do not want to have to adjust the gain signficantly to compensate for the reduced signal strength.

Thank you for all your help

pokethebearband 11-14-2017 03:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello again Junkgear,

I've performed all the connections, and now i have a feedback signal coming through my DAW at a consistent level. The feedback changes depending on the amplifier I choose and definitely gets worse with distortion making it seem like it is actually getting some kind of signal.

the guitar does not get processed either, so I'm a little confused.

I connected the main out Left on the 11R to my line input 5 on my UR44 using an XLR to unbalanced 1/4" connection. My Line output 5 on my UR44 is connected to the line input left on the 11R using a 1/4" TRS cable.
Now in my 11R settings in the input selection I have put Line L. I have attached a screen shot of My I/O settings, as that is something I'm less comfortable with, but pretty sure it's correct.

I have then armed the recording, and that is when I get insane feedback. When I remove either the input/output chords the issue is resolved. My TRS cable is functioning fine, along with both of the XLR to 1/4" cables I tried.

My only possible explanation is that I need to connect both L/R outputs, as well as inputs although this seems kind of ridiculous.

Thanks again

Sam

Darryl Ramm 11-14-2017 05:39 PM

Do one thing at at time and debug/confirm each step as you go.

Start by getting the output of the Eleven Rack going into an interface and being able to record that when you play a guitar into the Eleven Rack Guitar in. Once you know that Rig works, don't change anything in it except the Rig input.

Then get the output of your interface playing into the Eleven Rack Line input L. Make sure you switch the rig input to that input. Use the level meters at the far right of the Eleven Rack rig view on the front panel of the Eleven Rack to confirm you have signal going into the line in L input on the Eleven Rack (it will be low level but you should be able to turn it up in Pro Tools and see the meter move).

That is all there is to it, if it's not working something obvious is wrong like you have a faulty cable, or IO settings in Pro Tools or some similar setup wrong, but you have all you need right in front of you to debug that. if needed, trace signals from one end to the other. e.g. connect monitors to the line output of the interface you are sending the dry signal out on... do you hear anything, etc.

There is also nothing wrong with just switching interfaces when you want to reamp, or using Avid Eleven plugins.

pokethebearband 11-15-2017 05:07 AM

Hello to you both,

I isolated the issue to the line inputs on the eleven rack. I can output sound to my interface normally through my xlr inputs on the front. I assure you the cords are not the issue, because I'm using the same cord which runs my monitors on a daily basis.

Perhaps the only solution is to use it as a separate interface. By the way, in my post above I posted photos of my I/O settings, but thank you for your input anyways, Darryl.

Sam

junkgear 11-15-2017 05:39 AM

The problem that I see is that you are mixing the 11R input/outputs with the UR Input/outputs, which is most likely causing your feedback loop.
If the Lead Guitar track is the dry track you are trying to reamp, the output should be set to UR Output 5.
And, if your Audio 1 track is the processed (reamped) lead guitar track, then this should be set to UR Input 5.

In your setup, you are basically using the 11R as an outboard processing unit, and should only be using the UR interface for I/O in ProTools.

pokethebearband 11-15-2017 05:58 AM

Thanks a lot, Will. I'll keep trying and see what I can come up with. I have all the information necessary now, and will just have to keep trying.

Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it.

Will update if I manage the solution, and upload pictures for future noobs.

Sam