Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Unknown MIDI note appear after recording HELP! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=275388)

Boogie457 06-02-2010 10:09 PM

Unknown MIDI note appear after recording HELP!

When I record midi, pro tools will create a tiny midi note before the regular one and when i does this, certain instruments like acoustik piano notes will get cut off. So then I'll have to go into the whole piano performance and delete all of these annoying midi notes. I've already tried deleting all prefs and don't know what else to do besides wiping it and reinstalling! HELP! thanks in advance

440Hz 06-03-2010 12:35 AM

Re: Unknown MIDI note appear after recording HELP!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boogie457 (Post 1618893)
When I record midi, pro tools will create a tiny midi note before the regular one and when i does this, certain instruments like acoustik piano notes will get cut off. So then I'll have to go into the whole piano performance and delete all of these annoying midi notes. I've already tried deleting all prefs and don't know what else to do besides wiping it and reinstalling! HELP! thanks in advance

I am having EXACTLY the same problem.

This has lead to a complete system overhaul. Loss of plugs and no end of hair removing hassle.

After doing all recommended Plug updates, Trash prefs etc etc I recorded another session and found the EXACT same issue.

May I suggest you post your system spec, plugs version list etc and hopefully DIGI will chime in and rescue us both.....

tamasdragon 06-03-2010 02:00 AM

My first bet would be some plugin incompatibility, but without further info, it would be hard to help.
Have you both checked plug compatibility at least twice?

Husmas 06-03-2010 02:52 AM

I had the exact same problem. I use an mbox2 and a macbook pro and the solution was to connect my midi keyboard directly to the macbook with usb.
No midi cables, what so ever.

Did the trick for me.

Hope this helps

tamasdragon 06-03-2010 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Husmas (Post 1618953)
I had the exact same problem. I use an mbox2 and a macbook pro and the solution was to connect my midi keyboard directly to the macbook with usb.
No midi cables, what so ever.

Did the trick for me.

Hope this helps

Good idea. It can be even the keyboard they're using.

440Hz 06-03-2010 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamasdragon (Post 1618965)
Good idea. It can be even the keyboard they're using.

I just sorted out my same issue.

It was a setting within the midi controller (Axiom 61).
Did a reset on the Axiom and all is well in MIDI Instrument land.

I think you need to set it to Local Off.

DigiTechSupt 06-03-2010 10:43 AM

It's not local-off that's the problem (and it's not an option on the Axiom), it's most likely that you have multiple zones overlapping on the keyboard. A zone defines which MIDI channel a certain number of keys will transmit on. You could have, for instance, 2 different zones - one for keys higher than middle C, one for ones lower than middle C - and have them transmit on different channels and trigger different VI's in Pro Tools.

You could also have those zones overlap, so pressing 1 key would send out on 2 MIDI channels. This is one scenario that can cause this problem unless you're channelizing incoming MIDI data - meaning selecting a single MIDI channel on the MIDI input of a track. If you don't do that, the track MIDI input merges the data and can mix up the note on/off messages for each note.

Another cause could be MIDI echo, where a track output is routed to the same keyboard that transmitted it and that keyboard is set to echo it's MIDI input to it's MIDI output.

Local 'Off' or 'On' would only apply to keyboards that have built in synths - Local control is the internal MIDI data bus between the keyboard and the synth engine. Having this on wouldn't usually cause the symptoms in this thread, but it can be the cause for double-triggering, but only while playing. What happens is the keyboard internally sends MIDI data to the synth and you have the actual MIDI output that goes to your DAW being routed back from the DAW to the MIDI input, creating another note trigger.

Lastly, sometimes the 'Default MIDI Thru' instrument can cause the symptoms described in this thread. Changing it may fix the problem. Which setting is best depends on your particular configuration - the Pro Tools Reference Guide has more info about how each setting works.

sonicpalace 02-10-2015 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt (Post 1619148)
It's not local-off that's the problem (and it's not an option on the Axiom), it's most likely that you have multiple zones overlapping on the keyboard. A zone defines which MIDI channel a certain number of keys will transmit on. You could have, for instance, 2 different zones - one for keys higher than middle C, one for ones lower than middle C - and have them transmit on different channels and trigger different VI's in Pro Tools.

You could also have those zones overlap, so pressing 1 key would send out on 2 MIDI channels. This is one scenario that can cause this problem unless you're channelizing incoming MIDI data - meaning selecting a single MIDI channel on the MIDI input of a track. If you don't do that, the track MIDI input merges the data and can mix up the note on/off messages for each note.

Another cause could be MIDI echo, where a track output is routed to the same keyboard that transmitted it and that keyboard is set to echo it's MIDI input to it's MIDI output.

Local 'Off' or 'On' would only apply to keyboards that have built in synths - Local control is the internal MIDI data bus between the keyboard and the synth engine. Having this on wouldn't usually cause the symptoms in this thread, but it can be the cause for double-triggering, but only while playing. What happens is the keyboard internally sends MIDI data to the synth and you have the actual MIDI output that goes to your DAW being routed back from the DAW to the MIDI input, creating another note trigger.

Lastly, sometimes the 'Default MIDI Thru' instrument can cause the symptoms described in this thread. Changing it may fix the problem. Which setting is best depends on your particular configuration - the Pro Tools Reference Guide has more info about how each setting works.

Thanks, I just spent 2 hours trying to figure this out with my Oxygen 8 (old) and Pro Tools 11. I'm using a midi man 2x2 as the midi interface.
When I select the midi man 2x2 port "A" the mysterious clips are gone thank God, u were not invited to the party! It was a real drag with mono sounds because when I quantized them the whole track pretty much stopped playing, thanks!

cherryred335 03-23-2015 03:43 AM

I too am getting this unwanted occurrence with my new Axiom 49.Any help on what I should try first to eliminate this would be extremely helpful.
Thank you.
Al