Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Artist Series (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   NEW PRODUCT request--thoughts? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=276839)

BradLyons 06-26-2010 02:09 PM

NEW PRODUCT request--thoughts?

I've spoken to my product rep about this---but wanted to throw it out here to others as well. For those that have a single unit or two it's not really a big deal, but those like myself with multiple MC units---oh yeah, it's a cable mess! Once I receive my new desk from STYLE & FUNCTION I expect to install my new MC units which includes an MC TRANSPORT, an MC CONTROL V2, and (3) MC MIX. What this also means are (5) wall-lump power supplies and (5) network cables. I don't like wall-lumps, I hate wall-warts---I like IEC power cables. WOULD you pay $150-$200 for the following (I would!)?

A single-space rackmount box that is a professional power supply capable of providing full power for up to (5) MC units. The outputs would be a locking connector that would then plug into each MC, eliminating the wall-lump altogether and provide a much cleaner, more elegant solution. This box would also be a full CAT5 switcher with LED status indicators on the front so you know which units are connected, locked, and working.

I'd be interested in your feedback.....

GW 06-26-2010 04:01 PM

Re: NEW PRODUCT request--thoughts?

Brad, see my previous post on this matter.

When you mount these units together there should be a connecter between added units (and there are plenty of room for it in the plastic consol, so that you had ONE powercable and ONE connector to you computer, everything else is just not thought thru enuff. When you look at what this unit is capable of and what kind of engineering there is put into it, I can't get it thru my head that they haven't solved this problem in a better way - or am I missing something??? Plz correct me if I'm wrong!

BradLyons 06-26-2010 04:05 PM

GW,

Thanks for your post. My thought is coming from having these in a big desk, where there are several. I don't mind running small power cables because you'll need true power to each unit, likewise CAT5 cables in the same way you'd have to setup a typical network....but here are all of these units in a desk, I don't want (5) wall lumps on the floor making a mess. I want to do everything within the desk, CLEAN as can be.

micline 07-29-2010 07:18 AM

Hi,

I just have to chime in on this, I know its an older post.

Ok the cabling and power cords are an issue without a doubt. but

my suggestion, and know this has to be possible. I would love to see the plug ins themselves on the touch screen of the MC control. Imagine bringing up 1176 BF compressor and having the actual plug in com up on the MC control. you could either touch the encoders or use your finger to edit the parameters right on the touch screen!! I think that would be cool.....and very practical.

JustinA 07-30-2010 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micline (Post 1643892)
I would love to see the plug ins themselves on the touch screen of the MC control. Imagine bringing up 1176 BF compressor and having the actual plug in com up on the MC control. you could either touch the encoders or use your finger to edit the parameters right on the touch screen!! I think that would be cool.....and very practical.

For that, just get an iPad with AirDisplay ;)

micline 07-30-2010 09:32 AM

AH yes.....that's a great idea too!! :-)