Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools M-Powered (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   How to prevent all tracks from being selected (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=316106)

DC-Choppah 01-23-2012 06:12 PM

How to prevent all tracks from being selected

Often, all of my tracks are selected and I'm not sure why. Something I am doing results in all tracks selected.

So when I do things like, delete, duplicate etc. I get much more than I wanted.

Have to force the unselect of all tracks by enabling 'link track and edit election' and pretend to edit a track.

Anyway, it's annoying. Any help on why I am getting all of tracks selected all the time? Something I am doing without realizing it.

shotgunndunn 01-23-2012 06:27 PM

Press 'P' or ';' this will change the selection up or down.

PD-John 01-23-2012 08:41 PM

Re: How to prevent all tracks from being selected

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC-Choppah (Post 1893416)
Often, all of my tracks are selected and I'm not sure why. Something I am doing results in all tracks selected.

So when I do things like, delete, duplicate etc. I get much more than I wanted.

Have to force the unselect of all tracks by enabling 'link track and edit election' and pretend to edit a track.

Anyway, it's annoying. Any help on why I am getting all of tracks selected all the time? Something I am doing without realizing it.

If you're clicking in the Timeline, then it sometimes selects all the tracks (I think this is when "Link Track and Edit Selection" is selected). Otherwise, you can Ctrl + click on a track name to deselect that one track, then click it again to select it.

DC-Choppah 01-24-2012 04:59 PM

Based on your guys responses I played around with PT and I found the way I get into this problem.

If I turn on both 'Link Timeline and Edit' AND 'Link Track and Edit', and then select a timeline section, all the tracks will be selected.

Now if you turn off the same two 'Link ...' buttons, then all of the tracks are still selected, but you can't unselect them. There is no unselect all tracks button that I can find.

I see now that if I just leave the 'Link...' buttons engaged then I don't get stuck like this.:-)

Well, I am still getting into all tracks being selected when I don't want it sometimes even with both buttons in. Can't figure out what the key reason is.

nickacuff1289 04-10-2012 07:06 PM

Same problem, even with or without link buttons. somebody that knows how to for this please help cause I can't finish editing my work cause of this

SHEED2005GRNT 03-09-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickacuff1289 (Post 1920728)
Same problem, even with or without link buttons. somebody that knows how to for this please help cause I can't finish editing my work cause of this

dont know if this was answered for you but if you want to unselect tracks press option and click the track and it will be unselected.

albee1952 03-10-2013 09:35 AM

Make sure the ALL group is not enabled.

bazeebond 03-15-2013 09:00 AM

In the groups window, (bottom left PT10), ensure you click to deselect the group that your tracks are contained in.

sjallyn 02-04-2019 12:03 PM

I have the exact same problem and have no idea why this happens. Makes me crazy and I really hate it.

DC-Choppah 06-18-2021 07:21 PM

I'm back after a long hiatus from the DUC and I see that some of my old threads never had a conclusion.

So the answer to this one is that I had selected 'Link Track and Edit Selection', and then clicked on the timeline. When you do that Protools selects all tracks.

So I keep 'Link Track and Edit Selection' off while editing and there is no problem anymore.

I just leave this option off and have never found a reason to use it. I use groups effectively and can make all my multitrack edits using groups.