Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2020 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Commit up to this insert... (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=412309)

m4tune 10-20-2020 01:32 AM

Commit up to this insert...

4 Attachment(s)
I'm confused…

When trying to commit clips from AAX-Melodyned track I get this:

A consolidated stereo track!

- up to this insert is choosen from right click menu at the first plug-in
- consolidate is unchecked in the dialog

Please see screenshots, too.
Anything I did wrong?
Any help very much appreiciated!

midnightrambler 10-20-2020 02:16 AM

Re: Commit up to this insert...

Yeah it’s a bug, it’s also killed your stereo reverb plug-in if you notice. Happens whenever you try to commit a mono track “up to this insert” with a stereo plugin further down. Been like this since the feature was implemented.

Basically you have to take your stereo plugin off the track (move it to a dummy track maybe), consolidate up to insert, and then re-insert the stereo plugin on the commited track.

The first time I got caught with that was a air-turning-blue kind of day :D

m4tune 10-20-2020 02:34 AM

Removing the stereo plug-in solves the issue that a stereo track is created.
But still all clips being consolidated with unchecked this option in the box…

midnightrambler 10-20-2020 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m4tune (Post 2580614)
Removing the stereo plug-in solves the issue that a stereo track is created.
But still all clips being consolidated with unchecked this option in the box…

Don't know about that I'm afraid, I always consolidate. Someone else may be able to chime in.

daeron80 10-20-2020 07:15 AM

In my experience, clip boundaries are only maintained when there is space between them in the original track. Overlaps, abutted clips, and fades seem always to result in consolidation.

albee1952 10-20-2020 09:16 AM

When I commit a track with Melodyne, I always ONLY commit from Melodyne(which is always in the top insert). I also never put a reverb plugin directly on an audio or instrument track(I always use reverbs on an AUX track and feed via a send). What you describe may well be a bug, but I highly recommend changing your work flow a little. If you're asking "why"(which is a good question:D), here are my reasons:
#1-With this method, I have never experienced the issue you describe***.
#2-I ONLY commit Melodyne as I prefer to keep tuning as totally separate from mixing(and all the following plugins are all about mixing;))
#3-Reverbs run as inserts are; A-an inefficient way to use reverbs(which tend to use more cpu than other plugins) and B-no matter how you set the MIX control, you will lose volume on the track(unless the MIX is set to 100% dry, which is not likely to happen).

***With Melodyne, I also select Do Nothing to the original track, let the COMMIT complete, then I create a new playlist on the original track(and name it "Trackname.TND"). Then I copy/move the tuned audio onto this new playlist(keeping the original un-tuned audio as its own playlist) and delete the(now empty).CM track. At that point, I may remove Melodyne, or make it inactive(in case I feel I may need to revisit).:o If you're thinking this seems like a lot of extra stuff, you may be right. But having done this stuff as long as I have, maybe I've been bitten in the butt a few more times:p:p

daeron80 10-20-2020 11:20 AM

Dave ftw!

midnightrambler 10-20-2020 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2580655)
When I commit a track with Melodyne, I always ONLY commit from Melodyne

But having done this stuff as long as I have, maybe I've been bitten in the butt a few more times:p:p

You raise good points and workflows, but there are plenty of instances where you might want to use a mono-stereo plug-in on a track other than a vocal (an auto-panner being a super obvious example for instance). Committing anything above this mono-stereo plug results in a) a stereo file being needlessly created and b) the stereo plug-in being "disappeared", in that it's not printed, but not 'live' on the track either. This is (in my book) a textbook example of a horrible bug, which I reported ages ago, and still waiting for something to been done about it.

m4tune 10-21-2020 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnightrambler (Post 2580691)
…This is (in my book) a textbook example of a horrible bug, which I reported ages ago, and still waiting for something to been done about it.

Thanks!

And there are always work-arounds of the uneasy things that AVID is ignoring for their very expensive yearly tax!
I think it's pointless to lecture someone who is aware of basic routing examples we all learned decades ago in school or from the basic books out there.

I'm 20+ years in the business and I'm so sick and tired about getting comments like the one from Dave 1952…
Couldn't stand the community more together and call louder for ARA to be implemented?

That was my real reason to report this, btw.