Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Pro Tools 10 won't open session file (Created on a newer version) (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=334544)

sjafarzadeh 02-13-2013 10:52 AM

Pro Tools 10 won't open session file (Created on a newer version)

Hi guys,

Encountered an unusual problem. When trying to open a Pro Tools 10 file on a Pro Tools 10 system, I keep receiving the message that "This document could not be opened because it was created on a newer version of Pro Tools". This is only happening to one particular project file. It was running perfectly fine yesterday but hasn't worked since it was last saved. It is a .ptx file and all the systems I've tried to open it on are Pro Tools 10.

Does anybody have an idea of what the issue could be?

Thanks.

EDIT: Pro Tools* in title

Phil Ogden 02-13-2013 11:14 AM

Re: Pto Tools 10 won't open session file (Created on a newer version)

You could try importing the session data into a new session.

sjafarzadeh 02-13-2013 11:21 AM

I've tried doing that but it won't allow it because of the same error.

Craig F 02-13-2013 11:58 AM

can you open a session backup file?

hecklerhouse 07-16-2014 11:13 AM

Re: Pro Tools 10 won't open session file (Created on a newer version)

I am encountering the same error message running pro tools 11.1.2 and trying to open a session created with pro tools 8. All the other sessions from the same period open fine, including one of the saved pro tools session files in the SAME SESSION FOLDER. (I will save xyz_march_4_14_1 and then xyz_march_4_14_2, etc.) Very strange... did you ever figure out the issue? Thanks

Craig F 07-16-2014 12:03 PM

does the 8 session have it's .ptf extension? if not add it to the file and try that
otherwise an auto-backup is your best bet

Kreed 06-05-2023 04:41 AM

I'm having the same problem 9 years after this thread was started. You'd think Avid could have a fix for this by now. I literally created the project on the same machine with the same version of Pro tool, spent 4 days mixing, and then the next day it won't open. This seems like a pretty important glitch for Avid to pay attention to!

albee1952 06-13-2023 03:30 PM

Well, consider this was a problem with certain versions of PT 10 which is now how old? I can't remember seeing this(its been that long). One option that is worth a try:
Create a new blank session but at a different sample rate(IOW, if the original session is at 48K, make this new one 44.1K, or vice versa) and try to import session date, telling Pro Tools to apply SRC(Sample Rate Conversion). Also, if you are simply trying to import all tracks at once, instead, import 10-12 tracks at a time(or fewer if its a small session). Doing this might pin the problem on a single track(which could be easier to solve). I feel your pain and hope you get lucky!

dfoxhoward3 06-14-2023 11:24 AM

I'm experiencing the identical error message while using Pro Tools 11.1.2 and attempting to access a session that was initially created with Pro Tools 8. kerassentials review