Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Removeable IDE drives in G4? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=24456)

maxx 04-29-2002 11:56 AM

Removeable IDE drives in G4?

I'm using these in my PC/Gigastudio rig and it got me thinking... is this possible in a G4?

I'm currently using a year 2000 graphite dual 500 G4 with built-in IDE DVD-RAM drive and ZIP drive for my PT rig. I never use the ZIP. Is there any reason I can't yank out the ZIP and replace it with a standard size removeable IDE frame & tray kit?

Any thoughts?

maxx

maxx 04-29-2002 01:28 PM

Re: Removeable IDE drives in G4?

ngisedigid,

Thanks for the heads-up on the slave IDE size issue. I wonder - does that apply to the AGP/graphite models as well as the Quicksilvers?

usinare,

My PC rig is as follows:
ASUS A7V133 mb / 266 fsb, AMD 1.2 Ghz processor, 512 RAM,
32mb video, 20 GB system hd and 2 60 GB removeable IDE drives.

Currently running WIN98SE, Gigastudio 160, ACID Pro 3.0, etc..

Audio is a GINA 24 and midi is handled by a Motu Micro Express (PC serial version, not USB version).

I have the Mac/PT rig and the PC rig networked via "DAVE" software which allows me to drag files from one rig to the other via shared folders and TCP/IP ethernet. Great for exporting loops from ACID straight into PT.

For sequencing, PT/Mac is my sequencer, sending midi from an Opcode Studio 4 into the PC's Micro Express midi inputs. Not having a lightpipe/ADAT bridge type hookup on my PT rig, I tend to record the audio from Gigastudio analog out of the Gina into the 888/24's inputs.

If you have an HD rig (already with lightpipe) or an ADAT bridge you might want to consider the Frontier Dakota/Montana combo or the RME Hammerfall for audio output from the PC. They offer more Adat outs than the Gina. I liked the fact that the Gina gave me flexibility: Analog/ADAT/SPDIF options and is very cost-effective.

tech_head 04-29-2002 03:07 PM

Hi,

The of the bay is the same for all machines
that use the translucent tower type enclosure.

You can either yank the DVD and add the removable
tray stuff or do what I did and add an external 1394 case and put the removable tray in it.

tech

iRec 04-29-2002 06:57 PM

I'm wondering if Virtual PC would work with GigaStudio...anyone happen to know?

thanks in advance

usinare 04-30-2002 12:23 AM

dont have an answer but a question for u.
i want to set up pc/gigastudio and mac/protools gig.
can u give me details on your setup. what sound card are u using on the pc, midi interface, syncing problems, latency etc. thanks.

ngisedigid 04-30-2002 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by maxx:

Is there any reason I can't yank out the ZIP and replace it with a standard size removeable IDE frame & tray kit?

maxx

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You can yank out your zip and slave another drive. The problem, however is the case. For reasons I don't understand, the quicksilver case has a smaller opening for the slave slot -- big enough for a zip drive, but not big enough to allow the drawer of a cd drive to open in the slave slot . I had hoped to keep the pioneer superdrive in the master slot and install an internal plextor burner in the slave slot (wired internal scssi) but the door won't open.

kid pro 05-02-2002 07:07 PM

What exactly are you using to easily swap IDE drives? I've got a PC, I'm about to get a Mac and PT, and I'd love to swap IDE drives depending on the project.

Could you guys give me the tray and or enclosure brand names?

I'm using standard ATA IDE drives (Seagate mostly). I'd rather keep the drives in the computer cases for noise. Also, I'm not using firewire (my PC motherboard doesn't have it).

Thanks!

- kid pro

mstucker 05-03-2002 12:57 AM

I did just what you are asking about. The "zip" bay can't be used even if you were to modify the case because the motherboard sticks up right next to the zip. what I did at first was cut a slot in the top of our G4 and I ran the rest of the IDE cable from the DVD up out of the computer and into the removable caddy that was sitting there. It worked flawlessly for us. I recently moved the caddy into a firewire enclosure so that we could hot swap.

mstucker 05-03-2002 10:38 AM

Kid Pro,
Here is a link for the drive caddys we are using. I have MacOpener on my PC and am swapping these drives between our studio MAC and my PC with no Probs.

http://www.techarts.com/products/mob...sp?se=ta?kw=ad

Hope this helps.

AEW 05-03-2002 01:31 PM

Firewire HDD work great.

Nick