Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Pro Tools 9.0.3 CPU Overload (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=303835)

chopin88 07-05-2011 12:06 PM

Pro Tools 9.0.3 CPU Overload

I've recently updated to PT 9.0.3 and now have major problems with the Buffer Size running over the limit even when there are no plugins selected. Is there a fix for this issue?

Thanks!

AP

Mac OSX 10.6.8

cocamycola89 07-05-2011 12:20 PM

Re: Pro Tools 9.0.3 CPU Overload

I am also experiencing some major problems with this.. :-( running a pretty small session compared to my norm atm and now this is starting to become a real issue. Anybody know anything?

Park Seward 07-05-2011 12:27 PM

Need more info. Computer, RAM, # of cores, where you have set % of memory, stuff like that.

What troubleshooting have you done already?

chopin88 07-05-2011 04:02 PM

Hey Park!

I am running a Mac Pro
Duo Core
2x2.66 GHz Intel
20 GB Ram
Pro Tools 9.0.3
Profire 2626
80% set memory

I've adjusted my buffer settings, nu,beer of processors and double checked settings for my plug ins. Unfortunately, nothing has worked. Any help is greatly appreciated as a fix is needed ASAP! Thanks!

Alvin

Tom Swift 07-05-2011 04:35 PM

I get this same thing all the time.

I keep getting the "overload error" -6101 message when i try manipulating plug ins while music is playing. Very frustrating when i'm trying out EQ settings for example.
CPU shows a load of only %15 or so . i can stop ,adjust and THEN play-but can do almost nothing while tools is playing.
Any ideas? (this doesn't happen with my other DAWS.)

Quad 2.66 MacPro
10.6.7 snow leopard
PT 9.03

macPro quad 2.66
PT 9.03
Happens with any buffer setting

bradch00 07-05-2011 06:47 PM

I had 9.0.3 upgrade issues; first thing I did was trash the prefs and deleted the databases. No problems since. I would try that.

chopin88 (Alvin) you mention 20GB RAM, that seems like an odd number to me.
What configuration is it in? There's lots of info on the board about people having trouble using mismatch RAM sets.

Darryl Ramm 07-05-2011 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chopin88 (Post 1812219)
Hey Park!

I am running a Mac Pro
Duo Core
2x2.66 GHz Intel
20 GB Ram
Pro Tools 9.0.3
Profire 2626
80% set memory

I've adjusted my buffer settings, nu,beer of processors and double checked settings for my plug ins. Unfortunately, nothing has worked. Any help is greatly appreciated as a fix is needed ASAP! Thanks!

Alvin

Just checking -- a Mac Pro or Mac Book Pro? 20GB or 2GB? How many disk drives do you have and what is their brand/model/interface type/rotation speed/etc.. What drive are you recording to?

Thanks

Darryl

chopin88 07-05-2011 07:55 PM

Hey Darryl,

It's a Mac Pro Desktop
16 GB Ram
3 Internal Drives
1 External Drive that i record to.

Thank you for your help. Trashing the preferences was a huge help!!

Alvin

Park Seward 07-06-2011 10:04 AM

Some things:

"Make sure that you do not have FireWire networking enabled in your Network control panel in OS X. Go to: Apple Menu > System Preferences > Network and, from the 'Show' drop-down box, choose Network Port Configurations and uncheck any boxes next to 'Built In FireWire', then click 'Apply Now' and restart your computer."

"DAE Error -6101 with the ProFire 2626.
This is a known issue in Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4cs3 (Mac OS X) with M-Audio's ProFire 2626. Workaround: Change buffer setting to 256 or higher"

"DAE error -6101, -6085, -6081, -6096, or -1115 when using a FireWire interface with Pro Tools.
PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU SHOULD ALWAYS TURN OFF YOUR FIREWIRE INTERFACE AND COMPUTER BEFORE CONNECTING OR DISCONNECTING THE FIREWIRE CABLE! FAILURE TO DO SO MAY DAMAGE YOUR EQUIPMENT!

This may be caused by a poor firewire connection or high traffic on the 1394 bus. Please check the following:

1. Is the firewire device plugged directly into a firewire port on the computer, or is it connected to a hub or display with additional firewire ports?

Many computer displays can connect to a firewire port on the computer, and have built-in firewire ports for convenience. Pro Tools LE and M-Audio interfaces must be plugged directly in to a firewire port on the host computer. Usage of a hub or port repeater can introduce errors.

2. Have you tried all available Firewire ports on the computer?

Mac Pro and G5 computers have firewire ports on both the front and rear. On Mac Pro systems, Pro Tools firewire interfaces usually perform better on the rear port. On G5s, the reverse is usually true. If you run into problems, try all available ports.

3. If using a Windows-based system, does your computer have a supported firewire controller?

If you look at the Device Manager, under the heading "IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers," do you see a Texas Instrument-branded host controller? If not, your firewire controller in untested and may cause problems with Pro Tools. For a list of supported firewire controller cards, visit this link.

4. If you are using a firewire hard drive with your system, please make sure you are conforming to the recommended configurations and specifications on these pages:

Hard Drive Requirements - Mac

5. If you are using other firewire devices on the computer (for instance a Mojo or other video peripheral), it may help to connect these to separate buses entirely. To accomplish this you must use one of the supported firewire adapter cards covered here:

Firewire Cards for Mac"

orbro 07-06-2011 11:57 AM

Mac OSX 10.6.8 is not qualified for Pro Tools systems and should be the first thing that you eliminate when troubleshooting this issue. OSX 10.6.7 and PT 9.0.3 are the latest versions that are qualified. You still may run into the overload error though as people are reporting the same problems with the 2626 and PT 9.0.3