Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Long Distance Sync I/O Question... (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=12534)

1150Post 01-28-2003 01:16 PM

Re: Long Distance Sync I/O Question...

As I thought... not possible. If you have any thoughts, great. If not, forget it!

I've told him to pick up a couple of Microlynx's or similar off the internet and how to integrate them into his solution.

Thanks!

Brad McIlvaine

dr sound 01-28-2003 02:37 PM

Brad,
It is possible. Let me explain:
Five years ago I swithed studios from Culver City to Burbank to work for a large post sound facility. My client wanted to follow me but didn't want to drive the 30 miles or so each way. So instead of losing the client, we got Dolby Fax. We would mix the show in Dolby Surround and make an Lt/Rt of it. The client would have a 3/4 in. Video copy and would send us time code, which would drive our system (Lynx) and we would offset the picture and sound to match his end, so we would watch with picture and sound in sync on both our end and his. He would get a Lt/Rt signal which was decodes on his end and we would listen to a decoded Lt/Rt on our end also. He would drive and we would talk on speaker phone. It worked better than using the built in speaker in dolby Fax. If we needed to do any fixes we would take control on our end and take out the offset which was on a preset key on the Lynx. After we were happy with the fix we would give him control and he would play it back. It worked great and the client was very happy! If you have anymore questions just post and I'll reply.
Take Care,

1150Post 01-28-2003 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dr sound:
Brad, we got Dolby Fax.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hello again.

Very familiar with the Dolby Fax. This question was for a possible tcp/ip based alternative to the Dolby Fax. As I'm not affiliated with the company (except for a few technical q&a sessions), I don't want to do any promo spam for this new product/company, or take the heat for promoting it by name innappropriately.

I just wanted to confirm that the Sync I/O could not sync ProTools and an external deck to incoming timecode.

Thanks for the info. You're always good for a strong, professional view on things. I always enjoy your posts!

Thanks again.

Brad McIlvaine
Henninger Digital Audio/1150 Post
Washington, DC 20036

Doug the Brit 01-28-2003 04:57 PM

Brad,

We're working on something at Skywalker Sound to replace the multiple Dolby Faxes, synchroniser and TA's that you need to transport a 5.1 mix.

We will be using data-compressed audio (the aptX algorithm). Our system permits real time streaming or scheduled file transfer.

For the picture we've chosen a Pioneer DVD player that can chase LTC, using an interface from Colin Broad (CB Electronics).

Our goal was to reduce the amount of hardware and create an Internet 'appliance' that works for the technologically challenged.

Sorry for the shameless plug, I guess the synchronisable DVD is the part that's relevant to your enquiry.

I'm intrigued that your project will allow 'uncompressed 24/96' you must have some very fat pipes in DC!

Doug

"Plan for the worst. Hope for the best"

1150Post 01-28-2003 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Doug the Brit:
[QB]I'm intrigued that your project will allow 'uncompressed 24/96' you must have some very fat pipes in DC!
QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I am only repeating what I've been told. I can verify there is no MPEG-2 or similar compression, though when he says no compression to me, he may mean no-loss compression. I can't be specific, as I really don't recall offhand and don't want to misrepresent.

Unfortunately, it's not my project. I'm just providing some technical "translational" assistance, as they are programmers and not fully involved with the audio post industry. As he's local to us at Henninger, we took a demo from him early on in the product's development, and I've spent some time since answering additional questions.

The product sounds good, though I've not tested it beyond a local network, and therefore couldn't comment on it's true viability. Details are available at www.pingaudio.com if you are interested. He's got #'s spelled out on bandwidth requirements for different sample/bit rates and track counts. You can do the math and see if it adds up to you, or if, for you, it's even a feasible option for real world application based upon your sustainable real world data rates.

Before I get blasted for product promotion, or worse, censored, DISCLAIMER: I have no affiliation to and receive no payment for my assistance on this product, nor am I involved in the sales or marketing or programming of this product. I just happen to be willing to answer the phone and chat! Either that, or my negotiation skills really stink! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I will pass on your information about the DVD idea. We've done multiscreen DVD presentations by locking multiple DVD players together, so I'm sure I can find him a contact within my company to discuss that option. Thanks for the info.

As for fat pipes in DC, well, I'm sure if we have anything bigger than normal, the Pentagon/White House boys are undoubtedly chewing that up. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks!

Brad McIlvaine
Audio Mixer/Designer
Washington, DC 20036

Doug the Brit 01-28-2003 06:20 PM

Thanks for the link....

Say Hi to Dave Hurley for me.

BBFN, Doug

'You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape'

1150Post 01-29-2003 12:18 AM

Long Distance Sync I/O Question...

Here's an odd one that I couldn't answer, and that involves some thoeretics...

Assume a Protools system in L.A. has access to a revolutionary Dolby Fax-Type of Audio Delivery System that can transmit T.C. and 8 Channels of 96/24 Uncompressed audio to London without any time lag/sync issues between the T.C. or Audio Data.

Aside from using something like a Timeline Microlynx or a similar machine synchronizer, is it possible to pipe that delivered T.C. into the Sync I/O (or USD) and have not only ProTools lock (which is the easy part), but to also have ProTools drive a second Digibeta with identical picture along with it?

Let's skip any word clock issues and assume we're going to go analog on the transfer once the audio is delivered to London and focus primarily on syncing the Digibeta and the protools rig in London to the T.C. being delivered from L.A.

I told my friend (who is developing such a magic audio delivery system) that the best way would be to have the AVOption on both systems with identical timelines and pictures. Then locking the two rigs together with picture is no problem. He insists on throwing those Digibeta machines in, and wants to do it without an external device other than ProTools.

So I'm gonna go check out if I can get ProTools and the external digibeta deck to lock to an external timecode input.

Or if anyone has an idea on this one, let me know.

Thanks!

Brad McIlvaine
Audio Mixer/Designer
Washington, DC 20036

dr sound 01-29-2003 03:00 AM

Doug,
I saw the Pioneer set up at AES and it looked like a great idea. Does it work in real life as good as it did in the show?

1150Post 01-29-2003 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Doug the Brit:
Thanks for the link....

BBFN, Doug

'You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape'

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You're welcome. And I'm sure Dave sends his regards as well. You're an old AMS guy as well, right?

Brad McIlvaine
Mixer/Dsigner
Washington, DC 20036

1150Post 01-29-2003 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by 1150Post:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Doug the Brit:
Thanks for the link....

BBFN, Doug

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You're welcome. And I'm sure Dave sends his regards as well. You're an old AMS guy as well, right?

Brad McIlvaine
Mixer/Dsigner
Washington, DC 20036
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Richard Humphries sends his along as well!

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]