Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   AAX Plug-ins (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Plugin Alliance insanity (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=403433)

musicman691 02-16-2019 03:45 AM

Plugin Alliance insanity

PIA has been doing some insane one-day sales lately. Yesterday it was the Acme Opticom compressor for $49 and today it's the Townhouse compressor for $29. In each case PIA sends/has sent out an email to their customers with a specific code to be entered in the checkout page.

Stephen Bond 02-16-2019 04:21 AM

Re: Plugin Alliance insanity

I didn't buy anything since November because of the lack of decent offers.

Seems normal service has been resumed. Grab them whilst they are cheap!

I'm even considering going for the $50 voucher. That said, there are no guarantees from Plugin Alliance this will continue. After all, they pulled the December voucher without warning which was a change to the previous offer of a monthly voucher.

Stephen

StillHollow 02-16-2019 04:54 AM

I think they have a difficult job to do managing competing interests of the various plugin developers so this is likely why we see the business model all over the map in regards to offerings. I grabbed a lot of stuff when they were sending me vouchers with no minimum limit on purchase.

Unfortunately for everyone in the business Waves has comoditized the plugin business so we all now expect $29 for everything. I will absolutely pay more for a very special plugin but I no longer drop $150 on a plugin without thinking long and hard and justifying the price based on need for a client’s session for example.

UAD may not be as affected in this area but I would bet they are still selling less than before that all happened about two years ago.

crizdee 02-16-2019 05:25 AM

Hi,

Think ive got about 50 bus compressors now :-)

Chris

Stephen Bond 02-16-2019 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StillHollow (Post 2516731)
I think they have a difficult job to do managing competing interests of the various plugin developers so this is likely why we see the business model all over the map in regards to offerings. I grabbed a lot of stuff when they were sending me vouchers with no minimum limit on purchase.

Unfortunately for everyone in the business Waves has comoditized the plugin business so we all now expect $29 for everything. I will absolutely pay more for a very special plugin but I no longer drop $150 on a plugin without thinking long and hard and justifying the price based on need for a client’s session for example.

UAD may not be as affected in this area but I would bet they are still selling less than before that all happened about two years ago.

Agreed. $29 has long been the new standard! Plenty of great pro offerings at that price.

UAD have been affected is seems. Sure, they still retain their 'premium' status but even their prices are tumbling. It's a buyer's market for sure :D

Stephen

amagras 02-16-2019 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crizdee (Post 2516733)
Hi,

Chris

Yeah, only $4 today with the monthly voucher

Stephen Bond 02-16-2019 07:22 AM

To be fair the UAD plugins are on the money if you buy the bundle :confused:

UAD Ultimate 7 is 99 plugins for £2999 which I make just over £30 per plugin :cool:

Stephen

mgoorevich 02-16-2019 07:24 AM

I am not willing to pay to graphic designers for their work even if marketing department use a slogan "Modeled after the unique bla-bla...."
The actual PA unique plugin is buggy for years (confirmed by themselves).
So until I am losing my money by the fact that PA is not fixing ProAudioDSP DSM2 plugin automation behaviour, I am not buying anything new from them.

YYR123 02-16-2019 07:41 AM

Plugin Alliance insanity

Quote:

Originally Posted by crizdee (Post 2516733)
Hi,
Chris

Maybe but not 50 AAX-DSP Buss Comps

YYR123 02-16-2019 07:44 AM

Plugin Alliance insanity

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgoorevich (Post 2516747)
The actual PA unique plugin is buggy for years (confirmed by themselves).
So until I am losing my money by the fact that PA is not fixing ProAudioDSP DSM2 plugin automation behaviour, I am not buying anything new from them.

Interesting I guess I have never automated that plug. I remember it sounding really good however.

I choose to support these guys b/c of AAX-DSP, even though all of theirs aren’t AAX-DSP....most of them are

It’s not like Waves fixed all of their bugs either....not to mention Avid themselves