Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   help (002) - Input Gain ?! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=88187)

Hadjipita 11-05-2003 10:01 PM

help (002) - Input Gain ?!

Hey guys ... havent been posted in a while But i'm in need of some help.

I just got my 002 (upgrade from 001) and i'm having troubles with hot mic signals coming in to my 002 clipping ( ie- kick drum , snare drum). The mics are going to my octopre and then to the 002's inputs , but even with my mic pres down all the way the signal is much to hot (way over 0)coming in . With the 001 if I had this problem I would go change in the "hardware" settings and use the software "mixer" to adjust my input gains for said loud channels. Now the problem is where can you do the same adjustments on the 002 !? Is it in PT ? ... Does it have to be done on the 002 unit internally ? Cause I cant find the options anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated very much !

Cheers

BTW - Running version 5.3.2 (came with 002) ....

Rail Jon Rogut 11-05-2003 10:31 PM

Re: help (002) - Input Gain ?!

There are no pads on the 002.. and there are no line level adjustments for the 002 like for the 001 in the Pro Tools software. If you can't lower the gain to avoid mic preamp clipping, then use external inline pads.

Rail

Hadjipita 11-05-2003 11:30 PM

Thanks Rail ... I figured it didnt have any Just wanted to hear it from someone incase i was overlooking something simple. I will try to find some inline pads. Thanks for your help

Its quite disapointing/upseting that upgrading to the 002 would be in some ways a DOWN-grade A feature like the 001's input gain "digital mixer" should of been implemented into this device/software combo. I cant beleive the engineers overlooked it. Specialy since its coming from the octopre a DIGI device. But thats a whole other thread.

Abywho ... i'll stop ranting

thanks again rail

bryanbassett 11-05-2003 11:49 PM

I always keep a mixer of some kind handy ..sometimes a little mackie and sometimes my DA7 digital console and then would just use the line in inputs or optical inputs of the 001. That way I could trim before it hit the 001.

I don't know the octapre..isn't there a way to trim pad level there and then use line-in into 002?

Hadjipita 11-06-2003 12:48 AM

Quote:

I always keep a mixer of some kind handy ..sometimes a little mackie and sometimes my DA7 digital console and then would just use the line in inputs or optical inputs of the 001. That way I could trim before it hit the 001.

I don't know the octapre..isn't there a way to trim pad level there and then use line-in into 002?

Good call on the board bryanbassett. I thought about that and checked the only "mixer" i have available (crappy peavy unity series) has no pads/trims either. It would def be a PITA to have to go purchase a mackie or similar peice of gear just to pad 2 or 3 mic' signals during drum tracking.

And no the Octopre has no trim for its 8 outputs. Unless i'm just a complete idiot and cant see them/know about them. In hine sight I should of purchased the Presonus DIGIMAX (with sweet trims).

I have this 002 sitting here and all I'm thinking is how I miss the -26 DB pads from the 001's inputs 1 and 2 ...

Polyph 11-06-2003 10:50 AM

Is their somewhere in protools where you can adjust the input gain for inputs 5-8 in the digi002? Excuse me if you answered this question already.

Rail Jon Rogut 11-06-2003 10:56 AM

Quote:

Is their somewhere in protools where you can adjust the input gain for inputs 5-8 in the digi002? Excuse me if you answered this question already.

There are no line level adjustments for the 002 like for the 001 in the Pro Tools software.

Rail

Polyph 11-06-2003 11:00 AM

That sucks! I was hoping I was looking in the wrong place. Thanks!

tele_player 11-06-2003 11:06 AM

Inline mic pads are cheap.