Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   MTRX Reference (Ref) Button in DADman Software (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=403450)

jb_trm 02-17-2019 09:45 AM

MTRX Reference (Ref) Button in DADman Software

I've been looking through the DADman user guide, but can't seem to find specifics on the "Ref" button in any of the monitor channels.

The button sets the volume back to 0 dB and locks the fader. So, it seems that it is a reference lock function. However, has anyone figured out if there is a way to set that reference level to anything other than 0 dB?

BScout 02-18-2019 02:20 PM

Re: MTRX Reference (Ref) Button in DADman Software

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb_trm (Post 2516899)
I've been looking through the DADman user guide, but can't seem to find specifics on the "Ref" button in any of the monitor channels.

The button sets the volume back to 0 dB and locks the fader. So, it seems that it is a reference lock function. However, has anyone figured out if there is a way to set that reference level to anything other than 0 dB?

You can't.
Digital Audio Denmark don't seem to understand why that would be requested (I've asked.) It's rather silly you can set Talkback levels and Dims but you can't do anything to set a reference level.

jb_trm 02-19-2019 05:39 AM

That's a shame. It would be so easy to do, coding wise.

Sort of falls into the category of adding SPL calibration. I've just transitioned from a Yamaha MMP1 due to a specific need that the unit didn't provide. However, that is one slick feature they implemented.

Rich Breen 02-19-2019 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BScout (Post 2517010)
You can't.
Digital Audio Denmark don't seem to understand why that would be requested (I've asked.) It's rather silly you can set Talkback levels and Dims but you can't do anything to set a reference level.

Bizarre isn't it?

jb_trm 02-20-2019 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Breen (Post 2517069)
Bizarre isn't it?

Not only that, but also dangerous. If someone calibrates their monitors or speakers with a lower volume setting in DADman, and some kid comes along going “Hey, I wonder what that Ref button does...”, it could spell disaster.

flavor32 05-25-2022 02:08 PM

You can trim the outputs of the monitor outs in Dadman to calibrate for that "0" REF level in the monitor settings part of Dadman. If you want to calibrate your monitors to say 83dB, you can use the trim controls in monitor Settings-CR-Outputs-Main Mon L/R-Trim, for example, to trim the output level so that 83dB at the mix position equals the Ref level of "0." This is kinda like being able to trim the outputs on say an Avid Omni by output/speaker. Maybe that is useful, or some variation thereof.