Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   How do you use PT?? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=55875)

audioeric 07-02-2003 08:52 PM

How do you use PT??

Just wondering what the population of people here use protools for... Is it just personal stuff (for you and friends projects).. Is it for DJ type stuff.. Or are you actually getting paid to work in Pro Tools.. And, if so, is that your only source of income..

For me, It's my only job, working at the studio Full Time.. And it's actually working out well.. We're doing some editing for a group right now that will be released nationally soon.. I can't say anything about it, but when it gets done I'll try to post some sound bits here.. Right now we're just cleaning up some tracks they did at another studio and had on ADAT, and I actually took bits of sounds from the entire song and made a new, completely different intro..

Anyway, so lets here how you use ProTools, and what your latest adventures are..

eric

Flux 1.21 07-02-2003 09:11 PM

Re: How do you use PT??

A hobby for now, until I get some outstanding material to shop around. Being skilled at Pro Tools is a very valuable tool for any studio. Hopefully someday it will be a full time job. I am spending many hours practicing.

Notefarm 07-02-2003 09:24 PM

Well for me it is a fair part of my income, The rest is from teaching 75 to 80 guitar students a week. When the studio gets busy (like it is right now) I have to Cancell alot of students. Other than that I play gigs with My wife who is a Jazz singer. She teaches about 35 to 40 voice students a week.
My big plan is to be able able to sell more constant studio time and teach just my favorite guitar students, on the side.
Sorry for the boring answer.
Peace all
NoteFarm

Chico 07-03-2003 04:51 AM

I work full time for a company that supplies programming elements to radio and television stations, and that means spending 8 hours a day in front of Pro Tools. Everything we do, from the initial recording to CD mastering is done in PT.

dkrz 07-03-2003 05:02 AM

Freelance;

Composition and production of score music.
Audio post production mixing and sweetening.
Music post editing.

Cha-Ching!!! ....not.

dk

audiobob 07-03-2003 05:12 AM

Full time editor/sound designer by day with PT 5.1 Mix Plus.

Freelance radio image production by night with PT 6 Mbox.

where02190 07-03-2003 06:35 AM

We have an 001 that is used for an add'l 32 tracks, our primary machine is a Mackie HDR 24/96 Pro.

Hope this is helpful.

cbarrett 07-03-2003 09:29 AM

I am a guitarist/vocalist and I use PT for creating and recording my material - primarily for my own gratification. At the same time, I love to have others hear my stuff as well...

Over a year ago, I helped form a band and recorded a CD's worth of stuff while playing live shows around Denver. The CD "release" was a first for me and I learned a few things from this experience. Since the release was planned, we were under a schedule crunch...thus, I was forced to spend some long hours mixing and mastering (as best I could). The experience of writing and producing, which had up until that point been entirely enjoyable, became "not so enjoyable" - instead it was a job that needed to be done. I took from this experience that I would probably NOT want to rely on music for my income. For me, music is supposed to be pure fun, as well as an outlet for creativity. If someone wants to listen to my stuff, then great! But, I would hate to be in a situation where I am RELYING on the fact that someone likes my stuff. Yikes!

I think that by making music my income, it would inevitably lose some it's lustre.

So, I find myself much separated from the majority on this subject - as many of the people that I met at live shows and many of the members of this message board always seem to be heading in the direction of making a living from music (or are already doing so)....and I can understand that desire, but it just doesn't work for me [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

mikemaas 07-03-2003 10:23 AM

Eric,

I too make a living making and recording music. I have a small studio (PT5.2.1 32 track on a mac G4-1G with 1G of Ram running 9.2.2

I have a Tascam DM24 that I use as a front end most of the time. 8 anolog and 8 ADAT (Optical) ins I also have used the SPDIFs so I can run 18 in at a time. Most of the time I'm recording singer-songwriter types (including myself). I try and keep the costs down by having it in my home (600sq ft on the 3rd floor) Two rooms with one isolated.

I'm also the music director for a regional radio show that puts together a monthly variety show. Original comedy and music (although some of the music is cover stuff, we rearrange to taste and you rarely recognize it).

My latest project here at the studio is a Rap cd. (who'ld a thunk it) I'm learning a lot (who knew that "cheddar" is money?) I'm working on several other projects at the moment including a 9 piece horn band, a couple of small jazz ensambles and several fine songwriters.

I've spent many years in studios (both sides of the glass) but with where the technology is today so many things are possible. I try hard to remember what some one told me long ago (and far away) Be creative and try lots of things. It's not what you have to work with it's what you do with it...

Mike
Studio17

nmartin 07-03-2003 10:31 AM

I'm an electrical engineering student, so it's still a hobby for me. I record myself and my friends. Right now, my day job is an internship at a major computer company.