Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   "Speed" of rotary knobs (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=365004)

domilik 03-03-2015 12:10 AM

"Speed" of rotary knobs

Is there a way to edit (or even deactivate) this?

I do not get used to it, the rotarys are reacting to the speed they are turned, but I have big problems to find the right speed.

Tried to automate a smooth LR-panning (due to a movement across the screen), and just did not get it. Switched over to mouse...

Never had this problem on my old HUI-controller or on ICON, so I would like to have the rotarys working in that way.

domilik 03-04-2015 04:27 AM

Re: "Speed" of rotary knobs

Any suggestions here?

Right now I am not able to do a Left-Right-Panning in the speed I want to move the sound (or the tempo which is given by picture).

Different rotational speed just leads into a much finer pan-resolution, but I want a slower pan-movement in my tempo.

Craig F 03-04-2015 05:04 AM

the ICONs had selectable options for the knobs velocity (fast, slow, as you describe)

I don't have a S3 to dig around in but I'd look deeper or can you flip the Knob to the Fader

Norrie 03-04-2015 04:28 PM

Can't remember but there maybe somthing you can change in diagnostic mode but I really don't think there is .

As said above I woukd agree just flip to fader.

domilik 03-06-2015 12:29 AM

Hey, I could not find any adjustment of the velocity by myself. Flipping to Fader of course is a workaround, I will do so, but it makes the Encoders a bit worthless imo.

I've had a set of Mackies before, and also a little Behringer-controller, both worked absolutely well for panning. And I really would like to do this with the S3-Encoders as well. The actual velocity is OK for a very fine trimming (in stop-modus) but it will not let you automate a movement.

Did you guys try to automate a movement (to screen, or music)? Did it work for you? Is it just me?

Eruk 11-05-2015 04:26 AM

I agree, the speed of the rotary knobs is not very good.
Will there be a software update where the senstivity of the rotary knobs can be adjusted? If not please do make one!

smurfyou 11-05-2015 10:12 AM

This was an issue on the S6 and I believe they added a preference. If the S3 knobs work the same way, they're velocity sensitive. So moving them fast gives big panning and slow gives small precise panning. Which is better on paper than in practice because as you said it makes it near impossible to pan to picture.

teedeecee 11-06-2015 06:59 PM

In my view, this issue is the single biggest weakness of the S3.

Tom et al, how do we most effectively request that the S3 rotary knobs have a preference to act in a linear fashion just like your dear S5? I see in the S6 forum that Eddie has been discussing the speed preferences, is there any plan on including the S3 in this?

Regards,

Tony

J-S-Q 11-08-2015 06:23 AM

Definitely a +1 from me on this.

I'd like the option to have completely linear control at all times with some kind of preference setting to adjust the speed/sensitivity. If there was then a further option to add a degree of acceleration, that would be a bonus.

ha2dorff 11-08-2015 07:19 AM

+1