Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Pro Tools Ultimate 3rd Party Interfaces (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=411377)

macfreak86 08-02-2020 09:06 PM

Pro Tools Ultimate 3rd Party Interfaces

Hello,

Is the universal audio Apollo 8 rack compatible with pro tools ultimate? What other 3rd party interfaces are compatible that offer usb c connectivity? I couldn’t find any 3rd party interfaces listed on Avid’s website on the page that shows approved audio interfaces for pro tools ultimate. I like that it has usb c connectivity built in. I didn’t want to have to get the HD native+omni version and have a separate outboard interface sitting on my desk. Thanks!

Darryl Ramm 08-02-2020 09:19 PM

Re: Pro Tools Ultimate 3rd Party Interfaces

Quote:

Originally Posted by macfreak86 (Post 2574185)
Hello,

Is the universal audio Apollo 8 rack compatible with pro tools ultimate? What other 3rd party interfaces are compatible that offer usb c connectivity? I couldn’t find any 3rd party interfaces listed on Avid’s website on the page that shows approved audio interfaces for pro tools ultimate. I like that it has usb c connectivity built in. I didn’t want to have to get the HD native+omni version and have a separate outboard interface sitting on my desk. Thanks!

Pro Tools software should be compatible with any Core Audio interface. And nothing here is specific to Ultimate vs Standard. It's all the same. Unless you get into the weeds of specific IO needs like say how many IO are available to support surround sounds use with Ultimate.

I'm guessing you really mean "Thunderbolt" not "USB-C". But whether you need Thunderbolt (hopefully lower latency) or USB-2/-3 whatever is something for you to sort out with your overall needs and budget.

Avid is not the place to look. Go to any dealer, Sweetwater, Vintage King, etc. and ask them for advice. Talk with a sales rep about your exact IO needs and they can walk you through the options. ... we have no idea what you need, and there are many many choices from UAD, Apollo, MOTU, Focusrite, Presonus, and many others.

Every UAD Thunderbolt, Firewire and USB interface sure works with Pro Tools. You asked about the UAD Apollo 8, but that is a Thunderbolt 2 Interface, the UAD Apollo x8 is the Thunderbolt 3 interface (that uses a USB-C connector). And UAD vs other interfaces is often a question about whether you want to enter, and pay for, their plugin ecosystem. Do you specifically want their low(ish) latency Apollo Console monitoring? Do you understand the high-buffer requirements for running UAD plugins in a DAW?

And you posted in the HDX and HD Native forum section... if you are running either of that hardware none of these interfaces are compatible, they both require DigiLink interfaces.

I'm seeing enough stuff here that I think you really will be best served by getting on the phone with a Sweetwater or Vintage King sales rep.

macfreak86 08-03-2020 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2574186)
Pro Tools software should be compatible with any Core Audio interface. And nothing here is specific to Ultimate vs Standard. It's all the same. Unless you get into the weeds of specific IO needs like say how many IO are available to support surround sounds use with Ultimate.

I'm guessing you really mean "Thunderbolt" not "USB-C". But whether you need Thunderbolt (hopefully lower latency) or USB-2/-3 whatever is something for you to sort out with your overall needs and budget.

Avid is not the place to look. Go to any dealer, Sweetwater, Vintage King, etc. and ask them for advice. Talk with a sales rep about your exact IO needs and they can walk you through the options. ... we have no idea what you need, and there are many many choices from UAD, Apollo, MOTU, Focusrite, Presonus, and many others.

Every UAD Thunderbolt, Firewire and USB interface sure works with Pro Tools. You asked about the UAD Apollo 8, but that is a Thunderbolt 2 Interface, the UAD Apollo x8 is the Thunderbolt 3 interface (that uses a USB-C connector). And UAD vs other interfaces is often a question about whether you want to enter, and pay for, their plugin ecosystem. Do you specifically want their low(ish) latency Apollo Console monitoring? Do you understand the high-buffer requirements for running UAD plugins in a DAW?

And you posted in the HDX and HD Native forum section... if you are running either of that hardware none of these interfaces are compatible, they both require DigiLink interfaces.

I'm seeing enough stuff here that I think you really will be best served by getting on the phone with a Sweetwater or Vintage King sales rep.

I mean USB-C. USB-C is the newest generation thunderbolt for pc and Mac. The Apollo x6 is what I meant actually, it offers the new thunderbolt connection. Well I couldn’t find a pro tools ultimate section otherwise I would have posted there. So then you’re not able to tell me yes or no if I’m able to use the Apollo x6 with pro tools ultimate? Pro tools ultimate replaced HD.

uptheoctave 08-03-2020 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macfreak86 (Post 2574196)
I mean USB-C. USB-C is the newest generation thunderbolt for pc and Mac. The Apollo x6 is what I meant actually, it offers the new thunderbolt connection. Well I couldn’t find a pro tools ultimate section otherwise I would have posted there. So then you’re not able to tell me yes or no if I’m able to use the Apollo x6 with pro tools ultimate? Pro tools ultimate replaced HD.

I'm sorry but that isn't strictly true. You are conflating terms here.

USB-C is just the connector type.
USB-C carries USB, or Thunderbolt protocol, or USB power (plus some other alternate types).

The Apollo X6 is Thunderbolt 3 with a USB-C connector.
Yes, it works fine with Pro Tools Ultimate but you are limited to a maximum of 32 channels of IO, as you are with any non-digilink interface.

Darryl Ramm 08-03-2020 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macfreak86 (Post 2574196)

No you meant Thunderbolt 3. A USB-C connector might carry USB 2, USB 3.1 Gen 1, USB 3.1 Gen 2, Thunderbolt 3, DisplayPort, .. or more. No guarantee A USB-C port necessarily means Thunderbolt 3. I hope your Mac really has Thunderbolt 3.

I told you all (USB, FireWire and Thunderbolt) UAD interfaces work with Pro Tools. In practice the real complexity with third party interfaces is software compatibility. Will your specific Pro Tools Ultimate version, macOS version, driver (actually whole software bundle with UAD), be compatible? Luckily UAD provides good driver updates/compatibility.

HD software was renamed to Ultimate, but this forum area is about Avid HD and HDX *hardware*. Says so right in the title. Again, there is nothing specific to Ultimate in your question... Hopefully you do not have say a HDX card.

K Roche 08-15-2020 02:55 PM

Quote:

Hello,

The best way to efficient accurate specific help here is list you system specs in your signature like Other wise you may waste a page getting irrelevant information .
That said as Darrel mentioned PT Ultimate (just the software ) will work many 3rd party interfaces as will Regular PT

mightyduck 08-20-2020 09:52 PM

Quote:

Hello,

Pro Tools with third party audio interface?

Don't do that to yourself. Just don't. Maybe for mastering only applications or something like that, but otherwise you are defeating the purpose of the "compensate for input / output delay after record pass" feature. For no good reason, really. What the AVID interfaces sound bad to you or something? : )

You have to remember that the "I need special interfaces" obsession was one of the original plots of the evil hobos, before the Great Awakening.

Be careful and do not be deluded.

mightyduck

Southsidemusic 08-21-2020 03:55 PM

Dont listen to people mentioning ”evil hobos” and misten to the thousands of users who have 3rd party Interfaces and Yes Apollo interfaces works Great and we have 5 of the X series and used the silver ones and the mk2 black 8P’s and now X series and we work with big artists you hear on the radio all day and NEVER had any issue with latency or anything at all ever for that matter. UA drivers are even better than our HDX3 system with Avid HD 16/16 interfaces and as Avids drivers seem to be hit and miss these days we are never firing up the HDX system anymore.

So Dont be afraid to get a tood Apollo or MOTU or RME etc as they all work great!

mightyduck 08-23-2020 01:14 AM

There is no escaping the reality that you lose the "compensate after record pass" feature by using non - Digidesign / AVIDl interfaces.

Its like it brings a certain "sadness" and "regret" to the music. And that has been shown to attract evil hobos in the past. True that many formerly evil hobos have come over to the light. We see them with their Digi / AVID interfaces, gleaming in the sun, inspiring us to great heights, and stuff like that.

You may be able to get away with using an Aurora interface without causing trouble, but please be careful, you could hurt yourself or someone else.

Best,

mightyduck

arche3 08-23-2020 01:32 PM

I'm so great I work with artists that you dream about before they even get on the radio.

And I use avid interfaces. The evil hobos might persuade but they lie.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk